Best/energy efficient LED setup for a 5x5 grow tent

• Thread starter mortyb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mortyb

mortyb

I have 2 600w HPS currently in my 5x5, but I want to switch to LED because my energy bill is crazy. I've been looking at a few different lights, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the options out there. My current top choices are the Crecer Panthrx, Mars TS 3000W, or HLG 550 V2 Rspec, but wanted to see if anybody had any better recommendations!

Anthem

Anthem

Take a look at the lights you have listed and the fall off forwards the outer edges shown in PAR for both the Crecer and HLG. That is the reason why you see so many designs with light bars. Fluence, Carson, Gavita, Growers Choice, Etc. You will save money with the lights listed over the ones I added. Just depends on what you are looking for a few good quality colas or a 5' x 5' full of them.

WankirA

WankirA

All starts at your top end budget and where you are located (in uk lots of US brands not generally available here.)
With a 5x5 bloom coverage req i'd suggest looking at the Black Diamond Goliath.
A friend swears by his as heavyweight kit.
Worth a look.

Anthem

Anthem

All starts at your top end budget and where you are located (in uk lots of US brands not generally available here.)
With a 5x5 bloom coverage req i'd suggest looking at the Black Diamond Goliath.
A friend swears by his as heavyweight kit.
Worth a look.
Looks like a import knock off, not that some of the ones I listed are not. Like you said, starts at your budget. Regardless of the light, make sure you can dim the light. Young plants cannot handle the watts these lights can produce!

mortyb

mortyb

Take a look at the lights you have listed and the fall off forwards the outer edges shown in PAR for both the Crecer and HLG. That is the reason why you see so many designs with light bars. Fluence, Carson, Gavita, Growers Choice, Etc. You will save money with the lights listed over the ones I added. Just depends on what you are looking for a few good quality colas or a 5' x 5' full of them.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I was looking into the Fluence Spydr & the Gavita 1700e but I couldn't find any PAR charts on them.

Anthem

Anthem

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I was looking into the Fluence Spydr & the Gavita 1700e but I couldn't find any PAR charts on them.
I do not think you will find any PAR readings for Gavita and Fluence. I believe they use UMOL's for their testing. Take a look on You Tube for a video by Bruce Bugbee with Apogee. It pretty much explains the exact lighting needs of Cannabis. I can stand for the Gavitas they are awesome, but you have to use a controller with them and you have to buy an E series adaptor to hook them up to the controller. I only know of 2 controllers that work the light those being the Gavita stuff and I use trolmaster. There might be more at this time.

mortyb

mortyb

I do not think you will find any PAR readings for Gavita and Fluence. I believe they use UMOL's for their testing. Take a look on You Tube for a video by Bruce Bugbee with Apogee. It pretty much explains the exact lighting needs of Cannabis. I can stand for the Gavitas they are awesome, but you have to use a controller with them and you have to buy an E series adaptor to hook them up to the controller. I only know of 2 controllers that work the light those being the Gavita stuff and I use trolmaster. There might be more at this time.

Thanks for that info. Do you think the 1650 is enough for a 5x5 or should I get the 1700?

Terpz719

Terpz719

Since I got called out... I've been very happy with the sp250s so far. I've had them about six months now. I use 2 x sp250 in a 5x5 tent, but my canopy is about 2.5' x 4'. If I were to use the entire tent, I'd use three, possibly four, sp250s. Depending on your watts per square foot requirements, you might consider that when comparing costs. Dimming isn't an issue for me since my tent is 8' high.

I was very interested in both the gavita and fluence too, and during my research I found this video. It has the PAR charts you were looking for. Since those lights produce an even footprint I don't think the charts are so important as when shopping for a light that has more of a spotlight effect.

I had planned on mounting the two bars together, allowing room for a future third, in a grid configuration like the other two brands. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't. Since I grow multiple strains together, I like the flexibility of being to independently adjust the lights to allow for an uneven canopy. Depending on your growing style, this might be a consideration for you too.

Hope this helps.

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks for that info. Do you think the 1650 is enough for a 5x5 or should I get the 1700?
The 1650's are the original design. My understand is that the 1700 is the same light but has waterproof connectors. Get the 1700's. Also if you are going to use a controller make sure you get the second generation "E" adaptors. Lastly, you will need to order a separate pull adapter for your electrical needs. They do not come with the plug adaptor.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

PAR is not the parameter we care about. Umoles is the ticket

I highly recommend Amare Technology

Terpz719

Terpz719

Aren't Umoles just a unit of measure that PAR is measured in; like inches are used for measuring length.

Top Bottom