Best Fan Placement for Long Hood Runs

• Thread starter pork
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pork

pork

I'm running a run of 6 1000's with a 90 degree bend at each end of the line. I was thinking I could get away with using a 10" Max Can (1023 cfm) at each end to compensate for the bend and still provide adequate airflow.

It has also been suggested to run the 10" at the beginning of the line with a 8" Max Can (675cfm) booster after the first 3 lights and nothing at the end.

So, what do you pros out there suggest?

Best fan placement for long hood runs
R

Rolln J

I would have a line in from each side then T the 2 sides together in the middle between the 3rd and 4th light in the bank. This way you have the fan pull air evenly from both sides and push it out the ceiling - see diagram:

pushing air through is not an efficient way to cool, pulling the air through evenly is going to be most reliable and get a consistent amount of air through each lamp.

one 675 cfm fan will be more then enough if you run it this way.

edit: is the photo an illusion or are those lights spaced really close together? how big is your grow area?

Fan4lights
pork

pork

The floor is concrete, so venting from it isn't an option. The hoods are close together...it's going to be a lot of light so I'm going to need a lot of air flow....

G

GroHi

I like RJ's diagram except I would turn it horizontal... does that make sense? & reverse the air flow... here's what I mean...

You would have your Can Filter & Fan hooked up together in the middle where he has "Fan" designated. Rather than pulling it from the 6 lights, pushing it through them as you had originally outlined (more on that later). Then you would have 2 exit ports through your ceiling and/or walls. Make sense? I'm just looking at the diagram as if from the ceiling looking down.

Pushing vs pulling... if you push it is less effective in air movement, no doubt about it. However, by pulling air directly into the filter then through the fan & pushed out through the tubes takes advantage of positive air pressures. Essentially, every leak/connection/hood down range of the filter will have air escaping back into the room with a push system (some heat, oh well). If you pull w a fan at the end of the line, it will create negative air pressure within the tubes and your unscrubbed air will leak INTO the lines. If you push, all the air going out is scrubbed, if you pull, not so much. Hope that makes sense.

To compensate, you can tie in two 8" booster fans at both of the exit ports, should air flow not be enough. These will not create negative air pressure & suck odors in as the max fan will still be stronger in creating positive internal pressure. This is a little trick that works. Peace.

BTW, get a roll of shrink wrap from WMart or the local U-Haul... works great/better than anything else to seal the connections. Peace.

G

GroHi

Just for reference... I move 3 lights w 1 10" Max Fan, so you might need more. Peace.

M

mrdizzle

i dunno how hot it is around you, but my girl is cooling 8000w to the touch with a 8inch maxfan, its inline after the 6th light, so it is pulling over 6lights and blowing over 2.
i believe one 10in will be more than enough. put it at the end, peopel say the heat burns your fans out, I would say thats not the case and the warranty will take care of it if it does. Its easier for a fan to suck than blow either way i think your gravey

my buddy also uses a 10inmaxfan on the filter then to a "Y" and cools 10 6000ws (2 rows of 5 lights) then mets at another "Y" then out 10inch ducting. the fan is on a dimmer or the room gets like 68.

R

Rolln J

The floor is concrete, so venting from it isn't an option. The hoods are close together...it's going to be a lot of light so I'm going to need a lot of air flow....

ok so the fresh air dont need to come from the floor - but if you can bring air in to each side, T it in the middle and exhaust the air from there, that is your best bet.

G

GroHi

Agreed... gave the ref on my fan/lt's as ref... I'm pushing a several long runs w several bends as have my lights vertical + rather large filter + running to attic on second floor... it all adds up insofar as diminishing my air movement/volume... & it's pretty damn hot here... sometimes still in low 90's at 2am... peace to all.

pork

pork

Thanks for the advice!

Certainly what I was looking to find out. Back to the drawing boards this week and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Top Bottom