Best Feed After Transplant?

• Thread starter royfree2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
royfree2grow

royfree2grow

got some girls ready for transplant in 50 gal outside, your take on this issue?

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I use vitamin B1 at transplant @ 5ml / gallon usually first two waterings after transplant
Then do 1/4 or 1/2 strength by third, depending on how they look.
Sometimes it seems like they don't miss a beat at transplant, sometimes it takes a few/several days to resume active growth

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

good suggestions thanks!

@Blaze, what do you recommend for that ACT?

plus I frequently use leonerdite and liquid seaweed in my feeding regimen, how do you apply them in this case?

Blaze

Blaze

My tea recipe is pretty simple, but it works. I've usually always used the recipes developed by Dr. Elaine Ingham which were published in the Compost Tea Brewing manual. Recently I've tweaked the amounts a bit so they are more in line with some of Microbeman's findings.

You can download a free copy of the Compost Tea Brewing Manual here:

www.nofanj.org/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=104151

Basic Tea recipe:
20 cups earthworm castings
500 mL unsulphured backstrap molasses
2 cups soluble seaweed powder
120 mL fish hydrolysate

Brew for 24+ hours.

If I don't have time to brew up some tea then I will do a soil drench with seaweed and humic at whatever the recommended dose on the bottles say. Usually I prefer to foliar feed with humic and seaweed though.

I recently purchased a decent microscope too in order try to fine tune the brewing process so I will be playing a bit with brew times, ingredients, and amounts this year. I am also curious about some of the 'bottled' biology that is starting to be carried by my local ag supply store, so I'll be looking at those as well.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

@Blaze very nice reading material.

ACT is a safe way to go, although i don't have the same exact ingredients;

i got liquid seaweed, a product called alg-a-magic:

http://www.biobizz.com/us/products/organic-stimulants/alg-a-mic

and fish emulsion which is different than the fish hydrolisate due to the hitting process involved in making it, the product's NPK value is 5:2:2, would you suggest to use it instead?

btw, how much water do you mix it with?

Thanks bro

Blaze

Blaze

I would think liquid seaweed would be fine but you would have to look up what amount to use. I would not use fish emulsion when brewing ACT, it can supposedly cause bacterial blooms and cause the tea to go anaerobic plus it lacks the ingredients that you want when using a fish product to brew tea. Fish emulsion and fish hydrolysate are made in a totally different manner with totally different properties. Emulsions are heat processed which destroys the oils, amino acids, and enzymes that provide a food source for the tea. Hydrolysate is cold processed so these goodies are retained and is usually much less stinky and less likely to clog up you equipment or emitters since there is less crap in it. For tea dilution is not as important as it is with fertilizers. You can use it straight or dilute it up to 10-1. I always brew up a 50 gal batch then dilute it down to cover how ever much area I need to apply it to.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

@Blaze great information as always thanks brother!

any suggestions on what can replace the fish hydrolisate?

Blaze

Blaze

I am not aware of anything that can exactly replace fish hydrolysate. Humic acid could work as a substitute, but there is some conflicting information about whether or not it really is a good fungal food source. For 50 gallons the Compost Tea Brewing Manual recommends 500 mL per 50 gallons (take a look at the link I posted for the full fungal tea recipe). Yucca can also be a good fungal food source, but I have not personally used yucca much so I can't really say for sure. If you don't have any, you could probably just skip it - molasses, compost and seaweed are the 'essential' tea ingredients in my opinion.

Fish hydrolysate is usually not that expensive, you can even order it online from Neptune Organics. Biologic Systems are sells organic fish hydrolysate and it's cheaper than Neptunes Harvest, at least in my area. Not sure what area you are in, but try checking around at Ag supply stores, especially places that retail to vineyards and farms, they are more likely to have affordable, quality ingredients than a hydro store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom