Best hydro for coco, or would coco in a hydro setup useless.

• Thread starter HighTolerance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HighTolerance

Hey Guys,

I am currently growing in an ebb n flow setup using coco as my medium.

I have some questions which I am sure the experts could answer.

I recently transplanted to a 10in sq pot from a 5 in sq pot and the flood level is quite low for the large pots. In the smaller pots I could see the get wet on top. For these big pots, the top part seems not to get wet, the further i stick my finger in the wetter it is. I am not sure how good the cocogro from botanicare will wick the nutes and water from the bottom. Please give me some input on this issue. Oh yeah I also blocked the holes in the bottom with coco tek mat to prevent the coco from leaking out, I don't think the coco tek mat is stopping the coco from getting wet.

Do you guys think it might be better if I just hand feed / water the plants in coco or should I try to convert my current ebb n flow into a top drip system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

G

GroHi

HT, no doubt whatsoever that the CCG will wick the moisture up w each & every feed... no doubt. That is actually one of coirs inherent benefits... it's wetting capabilities while simultaneously allowing for lots of air. The CCG is actually kinda nice in that they mix varying pith grades w longer fibers... a little more airy vs some of the others. Canna & Atami also have nice airy textures, though some still cut w perlite/rocks/the like.

You can continue to run it as a f&d, or you could top-feed either by hand or by drip... coir is highly versatile in this sense. You can feed x4 per day, or as little as x1 per 2days... very versatile. The plants tend to adapt quite well to your scheduling/system while in coir.

Peace brother.

T

Towelie

I'd go with a top drip system. You can still feed multiple times per day and keep them nice and wet.

20north

get something to raise your drain like they come in sections that stack to make the drain

20north

hand feed for a week if you have to but a drip system will make you have uneven roots because it wont soak it evenly argue if you want but i think its true just get an extention for your drain tower maybe your pump isnt strong enough
i only flood coco once per day

good luck with that i have had big tall bags on tables before and it seemed to wick up there as long as it has once or two waterings from the top to start a good wicky

buffbuds

buffbuds

I musy dissagree with the above post. I am certain you have little experience with this... I use micro drippers, and after every watering, the water wicks to all parts of the pot. I have never experienced more EVEN root growth than I have in top drip feed coco pots. Its really the way to go.

G

GroHi

Yeah, roots love the coir, no doubt. Super wetting capabilities... hydrates well throughout even if dripping from a single source. Yet, tons of air... (depending on the mix)

lilhydro

lilhydro

i grow in hydroton and was thinking about changing to coir mix can anyone in short tell me the pros and cons of this medium.

G

GroHi

Sure others will have different lists, but for me...

Con's
- have to hydrate, mix & rinse
- this includes pH'n it & buffering my Ca/Mg/Etc
- still have to throw it away (dry is much easier vs wet - both new & throwing away)
- some variability between batches, even from same manufacturer
- bugs like it, as do bacteria & fungi... (& plants)
- don't want to let it dry out during your run (though re-hydrates very easily)

Pro's
- cheap
- very pH & ppm stable once you get it going
- plants/roots love it... same w beneficial bacteria/fungi
- it runs consistently... with all nute types (chem or organics)
- holds a ton of air, yet retains a lot of water/nutes for the plants (buffer for missing a feed)
- you can run it in lieu of almost any medium in any set-up (w proper screening/adjustments)
- drain2waste... easiest thing I've personally ever run

Peace

C

corwin

thanks for the responses all. I am doing my second coco grow, this time with flood and drain in 5x5 squares.

Any one have GH experience with this type of setup? I switched after the first cycle due to high cost of running the Canna Coco line.

G

GroHi

I'm not convinced the Canna will nec run that much more... but hadn't ever run the numbers, so...?

GH runs great... personally like the 6/3/6 mix for veg... down to 5/0/9 flower... for a baseline.

Flooding from the bottom will inevitably lead to nute build-ups over time... it's the very nature of coir to suck em up & hold. You will need to do top-fed, drain2waste flushes w a .5ec solution... weekly w rez changes is best, though you can push it 2 weeks.

Peace brother & greenest of vibes.

H

HighTolerance

Sorry guys totally forgot that i started this thread, I had been really ill for some weeks with terrible back problems. Ran out of medicine and money so there is nothing I could really do to help.

Anyhow terrific info guys, thank you so much for your input.

Due to my back I didn't have any energy to do even a small project. So i have just been hand watering, with great results. they just finished 3 weeks bloom, although i have no experience to compare my current results to but from looking at various diaries, and talking to experienced good members on the forums I think they are doing good.

I am kind of happy that I didn't put in a hydro setup since I would have ran out of space, even If I raised the plants very little.

Hand watering is quite easy, just mix the nutes once a weeks and water evenly.

Check out the some picture I just added in my diary (link in my sig).

Latest posts

Top Bottom