Best Hydro Shops and why

• Thread starter tomsawyer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tomsawyer

What are the best out there. In Humboldt there are only a couple. But i hear there are hundreds out there1! crazy

eyecandi

eyecandi

there are several small-mid-large ones around, it's a booming industry :)

best? as with anything, it's debatable and dependent on individual experiences. I've had good/bad with several. right now HTG is on my shit list.

R

RMCG

there are several small-mid-large ones around, it's a booming industry :)

best? as with anything, it's debatable and dependent on individual experiences. I've had good/bad with several. right now HTG is on my shit list.

Whats up with HTG?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Family Hydro in Boulder...dudes are from Humboldt, friendly, knowledgeable, not pushy, and they carry all the House & Garden stuff. If I was on Canna nutes, I would go to W2G, but that place kinda annoys me...

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

The grow store on colfax blows my ass. Let some snooty trustifarian talk you into buying every advanced nutrient additive. the guy tried to tell me there was a remarkable difference between maxicrop and H&G seaweed. Gues what dipshit, it comes from the same place in Norway, all ascophylum nodostrum does.

"We've got maxicrop."

me "the seaweed or the fish? I need the seaweed."

"We've got maxicrop dude...oh, just the fish..but you don't want that maxicrop seaweed, they make it with chlorinated water and it's got mercury in it. I've got stuff that's way better."

me "..for 10X the price of the maxicrop right?"

"pretty much"

me "so you're saying H&G seaweed has no mercury in it, that it's lab grown and it doesn't come from the same ocean in norway as the maxicrop? What's 15 mils of tap water in a gallon of good stuff anyway?"

I'm pretty much convinced that most of the grow stores will try and sell you a bunch of overpriced shit you don't need or that doesn't work just to make a buck. The grow store on colfax is just such a place so stay away.

The big tomato in aurora has been good to me. The manager Ted knows his shit, so if you're looking for setup or nutrient/additive/pest advice Ted is a good guy to talk to.

I like cultivate on 38th and wadsworth because it's close to my house and there's a few cute girls who work in there. It's on the pricey side but I get a decent discount. They're knowledgeable and almost always have what I need in stock.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Humboldt has many many options, Humboldt Hydro, NHS, A Fertile World, Water Planet and more....they all have their exclusives or something to offer it really depends on what products you prefer. And if you keep with one store they always seem to throw down the healthy discounts. Southern and Northern Humboldt has em everywhere(Sylvandales...).

R

RMCG

It's funny, but I have never had any stores 'try to sell' anything to me.

Maybe I look like an asshole or just look like I am on a mission in there. I know what I want, ask for it if I don't see it, if you don't carry it, I'll get it one of the other places I frequent.

eyecandi

eyecandi

Whats up with HTG?

last week we needed to buy 10 new 1000w Digi's for the warehouse, the owner wanted to do biz with HTG for some reason so I went along. decent store, but the salesman (owner??) totally hsa the "used car salesman" pitch and approach. I don't like it, never have liked that kind of sly/smooth talk ... but it's built into some people, so whatever. I asked if they carry Quantum ... nope, only Lumatek (can't use commercially in Denver, not UL/ETL tested/listed) and Digital Greenhouse (groan). I research the crap out of stuff; at my last gig I was purchasing agent and an IT geek .... so I like to get it right the first time. unfortunately, not my $$ and the owner insisted on making a deal.

so we spend 2 days mounting fixtures/ballasts .... turn them all on and surprise, most of them have that high pitched buzz/whine. digi ballasts are not supposed to buzz so loud that I can't stand being in the grow space ... freakin rediculous. so I called them up and of course they are happy to test them and replace if needed ..... BUT, I have to spend hours more de-mounting everything .... then drive it up to Commerce City and have him test them all ..... talk about a pain in the ass.

Quantum = ISO 9001 certified manufacturing and real website ... less then a 1% return/defect rate.
Digital Greenhouse = can't find a website for them or any type of manufacturing info. however, I can find a TON of posts on multiple forums (going back 3 years) saying how much of a piece of shit they are. but HTG will gladly make it right .... but at what cost to me and my plants?

that's why HTG is on my shit list .... shitty products that they know suck ass and continue to sell/push. add to that the crappy used car salesman pitch and I don't think I'll do much biz there.

sedate

sedate

A few years back I ordered a Digital Greenhouse 1000w HPS combo deal from HTG - right when I was getting started so I really could have used the lamp -so they charged my card like an hour after I placed the order - and then proceeded to NOT ship it for three weeks.

After multiple calls and being told "it's going out today" "it's in the mail" "it looks like it shipped on Friday" I was finally told that they had never been in stock the entire time and they had no idea when a new shipment of lights would be coming in and it might take "months" but if I wouldn't cancel the order, they'd throw in a free 1000w MH bulb. Whoop-dee-shit.

I'll never shop them again.

Sputnik said:
The grow store on colfax blows my ass.

Yes it does.

The thing that kind jumps out at me there is that everything in the shop runs at something like 10 or 20% *over* MSRP ..

Everything there is so pricey I have no idea why anyone shops there given the heavy competition in this market space.

G

ganjherbsmoke

i like family hydro for sure theyve got good prices and the past few times ive gone theyve charged me less than what the sticker price is so thats cool
up the street theres one love hydro no idea what theyre like they seem to sell a lot of cheap stuff

boulder hydroponic organic center is pretty good too havent been there in a while but they always worked well for me

i hear colorado grow is pretty decent too

R

RMCG

A few years back I ordered a Digital Greenhouse 1000w HPS combo deal from HTG - right when I was getting started so I really could have used the lamp -so they charged my card like an hour after I placed the order - and then proceeded to NOT ship it for three weeks.

After multiple calls and being told "it's going out today" "it's in the mail" "it looks like it shipped on Friday" I was finally told that they had never been in stock the entire time and they had no idea when a new shipment of lights would be coming in and it might take "months" but if I wouldn't cancel the order, they'd throw in a free 1000w MH bulb. Whoop-dee-shit.

I'll never shop them again.

Yes it does.

The thing that kind jumps out at me there is that everything in the shop runs at something like 10 or 20% *over* MSRP ..

Everything there is so pricey I have no idea why anyone shops there given the heavy competition in this market space.

Interesting. Granted it was a few years ago, but I too hold a grudge on principle like that.

The HTG retail store here is well stocked, if CJ doesn't have it, he will get it a day, two tops.

P

paulycali

SD Hydroponics!!! Great service and they honor any competitors price

O

OldStageCoach

Both shops in NED!

Just be careful if you shop at waytogrow, I was raped buy 3 of the employees last time I went. :makeup

Top Bottom