best medium for under current ?

• Thread starter dr.bootz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dr.bootz

dr.bootz

i kno i read it on here somewhere ? any recommendations first time running this system any other pointers would be greatly appreciated? .......also i am going with current cultures nutrient line .....

B

booboo111

novice grower here.....CC told me to use grow stones, more o2, so I did. I don't have any thing else to compare to, they worked fine.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I've used grow stones, hydroton, coco/hydroton and a couple other stones. I liked grow stones a lot but I find hydroton way easier to reuse. The stones hold on to roots a lot more and are sharp as hell. If you do a good clean between each round I think either is fine. With Hydroton the initial wash is key. I like to clean then fill my pots and dunk/water for a couple days before I pop the girls in to insure the initial clay dust is washed away. I became a fan of coco/hydroton once I got going. It just gave me a better substance to top feed anything like tea or treat for anything like root critters... IMHO it's all about water level and temps to get your girls going in the UC, your medium is basically only holding up the plant and the roots are swimming all day anyways...

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

One other thing I would shoot to someone banging a UC for the first time is to do a run with a straight ro top off and take notes as to how much and when your girls eat. Watching the ec the first round or two will let you not only dial in the system but also know how your strain eats from your system. That way the next round or two you can go back to your notes and see at what days/weeks your girls ate the most and what days/weeks they ate softer and then you can add to your top off A&B to an ec you know your girls like and can handle. The problem with running a hot top off right away is that you don't know when your girls will want more water until they tell you. I like to try and read my bitches before they talk back... With a ro top off, You know if your top off has been attacked and your ec stays the same they drank more h2o than nutes. If your top off was attacked and the ec dropped heavily they ate nutes more than water. If your top off is not attacked and ec rises you're too hot with your mix. If your top off is not attacked and ec still stays the same I liked to lower my ec a little till I see the aggressive eating from my top off I like. When I do run a hot top off, Ideally if I can get my girls to attack my top off and not change my ec, to me, that means my top off and stew are set at a perfect match. Notes notes notes....

B

booboo111

Between runs, I rinsed the grow stones well with tap and then soaked in uc roots to sterilize and then ph'd them

Top Bottom