Best micron size for BHO

• Thread starter gumby420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Coronel

Here is a link where the issue of mesh vis a vis thread size, count, and micron opening is discussed, along with charts.
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/diy-sieving-frames/

I think there is a slight confussion there.
the page you sent speaks both of microns (SI unit measure equal to a millionth of a meter or a 1000th of a millimeter.
and that part follows what my previous picture shown (the smaller the number, the smaller the hole.)

then it goes on explaining that some mesh is sold not on pore/hole size but in count of threads, and explains that the more the thread number, the smaller the hole.

So to resume from your article.
if you know the pore/hole size it goes the smaller the number, the smaller the hole.

if you only know the thread count of the mesh, then the bigger the thread count number, the smaller is the hole...

Which is logic, the more thread there is, the less space between threads.

In his example, he aims for 75microns, 110microns and 130microns
so he should use according to his own table a: 200 a 140 and a 120 THREAD COUNT mesh...

hope it helps clearing the confusion, i didn't see the word thread count in your post (the one i quoted).

it will be a nice addition to the forum if we could have tables comparing the microns against the thread count and the xXX numbering for silk, also for quantitative or qualitative paper filters there is a different nomenclature according to size and grade (actualpore size) all this can be very confusing for your average Jesse Pinkman, unless he's got his Walter nearby :D

Last edited:
Graywolf

Graywolf

I think there is a slight confussion there.
the page you sent speaks both of microns (SI unit measure equal to a millionth of a meter or a 1000th of a millimeter.
and that part follows what my previous picture shown (the smaller the number, the smaller the hole.)

then it goes on explaining that some mesh is sold not on pore/hole size but in count of threads, and explains that the more the thread number, the smaller the hole.

So to resume from your article.
if you know the pore/hole size it goes the smaller the number, the smaller the hole.

if you only know the thread count of the mesh, then the bigger the thread count number, the smaller is the hole...

Which is logic, the more thread there is, the less space between threads.

In his example, he aims for 75microns, 110microns and 130microns
so he should use according to his own table a: 200 a 140 and a 120 THREAD COUNT mesh...

hope it helps clearing the confusion, i didn't see the word thread count in your post (the one i quoted).

it will be a nice addition to the forum if we could have tables comparing the microns against the thread count and the xXX numbering for silk, also for quantitative or qualitative paper filters there is a different nomenclature according to size and grade (actualpore size) all this can be very confusing for your average Jesse Pinkman, unless he's got his Walter nearby :D
Ummmm, does this not cover thread count?

"Attached is chart of average pore sizes by Mesh, which is the same as Thread Count. If you want actual pore size, you may calculate it yourself as follows:

(1) minus (Thread or Mesh X thread diameter) will give you the total amount of open space per unit."

T

Tahmkat3d

If I use a 200 silk filter Wil that work better
Micron gets smaller with the number, I use whole house water filters starting at 5 micron, then add polishing filters behind these at 1 micron then .5 micron. .5 is pharmaceutical grade water with no spores and other small stuff that gets through the others. 120 grain would be for filtering rocks to start with.

S

Smclaury

So ive done a few runs all with heat purging. I finally got my vacuum chamber and pump so im ready to start making some good product. the last few runs i just used coffee filters. my newest blasting tube came with a stainless steel 50 micron screen, i also have a 120 micron silk screen. What micron do you find best for making bho? Thanks
Micron Size to Inches and Millimeters
Micron to Millimeters Chart

710Jackson

710Jackson

But can anyone tell this man (and me) what micron is best for bho extraction.? Not between the two given, but period.
What micron is best if a person had 10 options from 50 - 220. What micron is most commonly used for primo bho.
I know in dry sift and bubble the 75 and 90 are best, so I would assume this would also be true for bho, but I don't know.
Thank you all for your input

Bakeneko

Bakeneko

But can anyone tell this man (and me) what micron is best for bho extraction.? Not between the two given, but period.
What micron is best if a person had 10 options from 50 - 220. What micron is most commonly used for primo bho.
I know in dry sift and bubble the 75 and 90 are best, so I would assume this would also be true for bho, but I don't know.
Thank you all for your input
My assumption as well, I'll be running 105 micron or 140 > is 150 US mesh at 105 should keep out all the bigger trash particles everything less than that in size is all the good stuff range 50 to 100 micron so it doesnt matter 90, 75, 45, 25 micron you'll get it all which is what youd pull as keeper in the bubble bags,149 micron or 100 mesh can let some plant material trash come through.Heres the actual chart to go by not a guess. Hope that can help guide you. 1st row is mesh sizes, 3rd row is its micron size.

Screenshot 20221023 173504 Chrome
Last edited:
L

loungnlou99

People are confusing the term 'mesh' and 'micron'.

When ever you hear a screen is '100 mesh' it means the number of openings in a specific area. In this measurement, the higher the number, the stronger the filter, as 'more' openings fit in a smaller area because they are smaller openings.

Micron is the size of the opening. The smaller it is, the more selective the filter.

50 micron screens are smaller than 120 micron.

50 mesh screens are larger than 120 mesh.
bingo!

Latest posts

Top Bottom