Best Mix For Cover Crop?

• Thread starter MrRojos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrRojos

MrRojos

Curious to see what 5 legumes/pest deterrent varieties of plants gets the vote for the most beneficial raised bed cover crop mix for summer grow outdoor.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Where? Where you are is as important as anything else. I can tell you what I like to use, but it may not be appropriate for your area.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Then DEFINITELY stuff like fenugreek and the more tender bean varieties, I personally prefer bush beans and those that have a more upright pod like cowpeas and black-eyed peas. You may get issues with spider mites using clover, but of course it's a staple and quite popular, I think dichondra could be a decent substitute here though.

Rye grass should also do quite well... what else? Let me do some searching, k?

MrRojos

MrRojos

thank you for taking the time to respond whats your take on citranela in the mix do you think it will deter mites?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think it's worth a try IF it's not a plant that grows too tall. One year I used chia as my cover, and it's well self-sown now, grows back every year. It can easily get as big as the cannabis and when it starts dropping pollen and seeds, what a mess! The pollinators LOVE it though. I just have to keep it chopped down really hard. I use one of those corded hedge trimmers, because I use the covers in my big raised beds.

MrRojos

MrRojos

nice! thank you will def stay away from clover lol stinging nettle is a good one to ive used it with cilantro before amongst others thanks again

Reeferkief

Reeferkief

Something about stinging nettles and their root exudates, I will have to look more into it but some beneficial properties there I believe.

I personally just use what ever my local feed and seed store has on hand when I go to re supply, currently Crimson Clover last time was White Clover

MrRojos

MrRojos

I like the local way to seems more sustainable and like I read somewhere else on here somewhat less chances of foreign pathogens or unfamiliarity which may have adverse effects...had a wierd thought earlier, probably bs tho due to genetics being here so long they've most likely become more acustomed to our hemispheric conditions/microorganisms etc
But was wondering if would have any beneficial affect to recreate they're original dynamic acumulators/organic amendments etc
Obviously impossible to recreate the exact soil diversity kind of a high thought I suppose,but say your working with a landrace Hindu strain wonder if in simple terms they remember the "homeland"(lol) and somewhere in they're genetic code if reintroducion of certain organisms/native bioamendments etc would cause any benefits.
Probably not and sounded dumb even typing it but (saying it while holding in a monster bong rip)what if bro lol

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Anyone ever try catnip as a cover crop? It smells like cannabis and it contains lithium, the decaying catnip absorbed by the roots might make you name the strain you grow in it prozac.
They use nectar producing cover crops in orchards so using skunky cover for cannabis just makes sense.
Could the lithium be absorbed into the plant?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nope, it needs too much water. That's one of the big things for me, and I think it should be for any farmer in a water-constricted area.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Use the links I provided, they should give you information that's best suited for your area. :)

Top Bottom