Best part of plant to gather pollen?

• Thread starter donmekka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
donmekka

donmekka

Is pollen ''just'' pollen or is there areas on a flowering male plant that are better then others.

For example I know hormone levels vary for top to bottom and from the branch tip to the main stalk.

So knowing this makes me think maybe pollen from a certain area would produce different offspring then

another area . Maybe pollen from only one flower vs whole plant would give a more narrow band of

phenotypes?

I am new to breeding and a pollen chucker at best. This was a random thought I had the other day and

figured some of the bright individuals here at the farm may have some insight on the topic.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've never worried about where on the male I get the pollen. I just watch for the flowers to be close to opening so that I'm there when they do. I'm less successful in that part of the endeavor than I'd like to be!

Gather as much pollen from as many different areas as you can, mix it up.

donmekka

donmekka

Seamaiden is there a reason you recommend gathering from the whole plant ?

Geologic I agree the only down fall is the numbers and time involved . Hopefully someday I will have the opportunity to crack thousands of beans and do some real breeding !

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Because IF there really is some sort of difference that can be expressed, genetic or epigenetic, then your best chances for acquiring the most genetic diversity from the plant in question is by gathering pollen from all areas. Part of the goal of breeders in this particular area should be to do as much to maintain genetic diversity as they possibly can, or a bottleneck could be created.

No breeder I've spoken to discusses where on the male plant they gather pollen, though, they just get it when those flowers open.

donmekka

donmekka

Makes sense . And your right , it is a big "IF" it will make any difference. So...I picked up 100 disposable brushes to do some up close and personal fertilization.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Because IF there really is some sort of difference that can be expressed, genetic or epigenetic, then your best chances for acquiring the most genetic diversity from the plant in question is by gathering pollen from all areas. Part of the goal of breeders in this particular area should be to do as much to maintain genetic diversity as they possibly can, or a bottleneck could be created.

No breeder I've spoken to discusses where on the male plant they gather pollen, though, they just get it when those flowers open.

Sea, any sug on best way to gather? My last pollin op was not so successful..! seemed like the males I selected were pretty zip or sterile...( being nice )....LOL

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't say for sure, I've only done a good bit of observation and only a couple of seedmaking attempts. What I was taught to do was to either cut male flowers, put them in a vase with water over a glass or something similar and wait for the pollen to drop, OR, to watch flowering males closely, then when the flowers open up, you can either tap the pollen into a container, or simply get your paintbrush and go from male to female.

I've had instances of what appeared to be sterile males, no answers for that. I really don't know all that much on this particular subject. But, what I do know is that a misty morning ruins efforts pretty effortlessly.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I have cut the sac's and put in metal tea strainer then over shot glass ...works well but think i cut to early and nothing opened ...Thanks

Top Bottom