Best possible light setup for 2x2 (mini cfl vertical?)

• Thread starter HighTolerance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HighTolerance

Hey guys,

I got this 2x2 box with the following strains in it. I was thinking about what would be the best light setup for this.

A 250w HPS will be too hot, I was thinking about 150w HPS. but then I also thought of this vertical style grow, this seems to be becoming an era of vertical setups. I reckon they are very efficient too. I wonder how well this would work.

The second pic is of the girls I will be running. With this little space, they should be ready for the flip in a week or two.

Please tell me what you would do with a 2x2x5 hut with these girls.

Light layout
Res
blazedahaze

blazedahaze

yo what up HT, I am running a little tent at the moment 2 x 3 x 6 and I am running a 600 aircooled hps in that bitch, my temps range from 68 - 84 and am running my select pheno of CC's SFV OG bx2. so unless it is real hot in your area I would think that your temps would be fine with that 250w hps.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
TF1 FTW!!!! I really am loving that setup and am very interested in the verticle CFL setup for veggin' although I realize that you are gonna flower them in there. I'd suggest adding a 150W big CFL on top and drop the verticle smaller CFL's at the mid canopy elevation. Lots of airflow with your green thumb, and you should be able to convince the micro growers that flowering in a small setup ala vert CFL's is feasible. Kudos brother, but I still want 1000W, maybe 2000w.... :itwasntme
thought I'd bring my quote over here from your journal HT... How about the 250w HPS with verticle CFL's? G at Suite 215 did something similar in one of his threads, but on a larger room and more lights... :cool

H

HighTolerance

Thank you good fellows, I was really busy today and didn't get a chance to think much about this. Your inputs sound good. Shady I am gonna find that thread and check it out, I am just worried about the 250 cuz it gets very very hot in my room.

H

Hashshashin

If your gonna use CFl's go with PL-L's in a spiral Fl you lose light because of whats called restrike. The light is pretty much waste, not to mention sprials dont offer good penetration. A Pl-L of same wattage would be much better and cover a larger area than a spiral. I'm about to start growing in a 11x11x11 box with 4-18w Pl-l. It cost $22 for a 128w ballast capable of 4 lamps. i also bought 6 bulbs for $30 shipped and had to buy more sockets which was $10. I think this was easily worth the extra cost since you maximize the use. The penetrating light is awesome also.

this is from two 55w PL-Ls. I literally love these things.
veg_chamber.jpg

H

HighTolerance

If your gonna use CFl's go with PL-L's in a spiral Fl you lose light because of whats called restrike. The light is pretty much waste, not to mention sprials dont offer good penetration. A Pl-L of same wattage would be much better and cover a larger area than a spiral. I'm about to start growing in a 11x11x11 box with 4-18w Pl-l. It cost $22 for a 128w ballast capable of 4 lamps. i also bought 6 bulbs for $30 shipped and had to buy more sockets which was $10. I think this was easily worth the extra cost since you maximize the use. The penetrating light is awesome also.

this is from two 55w PL-Ls. I literally love these things.
veg_chamber.jpg

Man that sounds terrific. Thanks for Sharing.

Where did you buy the ballast/lights and socket.

+Rep for you my friend.

H

Hashshashin

You have two choices on ballasts.You can either get one that will extend bulb life and maintain efficiency for a while.It will be a little moreexpenive and you may need two. That or you can get a workhorse 8 and run up to 3 lamps these wont have the full life of a good ballast though. The howard ballast which is also at 1000bulbs us ekectronic program start which is good for shuting on and off after non extended periods. I got mine for $22 minus shipping. If your gonna flower with them i'd suggest getting two Check out 1000bulbs.com . These bulbs will be under CFL section in the plug in 4 pins. You'll also need 2g11 sockets which can only be found on the net. Get your bulbs and sockets from the same place to cover shipping, hopfully they'd have ballasts also. Lastly fans two computer fans blowing over the bases will be perfect to keep things nice and cool as long as you have proper exhaust. These bulbs can be warm if not cooled properly.

20north

what kind of hood can you air cool in a 2x2 tent? does anybody know any models that would rock in a 2x2 tent?

400w hps should be a little hot for a 2x2 tent but a 250w hps should be just perfect if you can air cool it alot of people are using tents now its kinda rad :boogie:

H

Hashshashin

I'm running a PL hood in a 28x16 space. This is the only hood that would fit inside my cab and fit properly for light distribution. Think of it this way 35-50wsq ft for efficiency, 75-100w/sq ft for maximum bud quality. its always better to go with a bigger light unless you absolutely need to use less power or have a fan that wont cool it. i really think you can go with a 250. Thats what i'm using with a CMH bulb and this thing is amazing and its not too hot. BUt like i said you need sufficient ventilation to run the bigger lights.

On another note i forgot that the workhorse 8 ballast can run 4 55w PL-L bulbs.

convex

convex

Hell that's only 20 cubic ft ... a cheapie 70 cfm bathroom fan will keep that space cool.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
These PL-L bulbs sound interesting... How do they compare to T-5's and T-8's? :wondering

B

BongToker

i run a 250 hps in a sun system 2, coold by a 6" eco fan, its reall hot by me and even during summer months the hottest temp i see is low 80s, and now that iv got AC it runs mid 70s, hope this helps out buddy

H

Hashshashin

T5 and t8 has its place in space's with a large amount of room. Take a 54w T5 and a 55w PL-L for example. The T5 is 4ft long which isn't a bad thing for people with a nice veg room. On the other hand a 55w PL-L is 21"/22" so for a cab of two ft you have a perfect size and a nice even coverage of light without the heat. The ballast is remote and these bulbs are pretty cool as long as you have a fan blowing over the base of the lights. I think the t5 will have a higher surface area therefore being easier to cool though.

You could always run a 150w (rx7 base)PulseStartMH CeramicMH bulb if you have proper cooling.

T

tngreen

a 250w should be perfect for that space, its right at ~65wpsf. I will be using a 250w hps in a 2x2 tent as soon as i get my reflector. I have a S&P 125 on the low setting and it is easily enough, could prolly get away with the 100x.

B

Bill Lermer

If you're worried that 250 watt of HPS would be too hot, you have reason to be more concerned about 274 watt of CFL (I added up the wattages in your diagram). Watts are watts and translate into heat according to an invariant formula.

While the single 250w HPS would be hotter close to the bulb than close to a CFL,
the total heat of HPS or CFL is identical per watt. Simply place the HPS bulb further
from the plant (this covers a larger area). The zone of too much heat extends
beyond the zone of too much light; so there is no problem with lifting the single
light up higher.

Instead I recommend the newest generation of CMH lights, specifically the GE 70 watt
Ultra-CMH. Place four of them over your plants (so you will have four different angles
of light, and fewer shadows). The total power of this would be 280 and the yield will be
at least 3x than from the fluorescents.

jyip

jyip

i used a 430 hps for a 2x3 tray ina small closet and it was fine w/no heat issues...hth

G

galaxyuser

what kind of hood can you air cool in a 2x2 tent? does anybody know any models that would rock in a 2x2 tent?

400w hps should be a little hot for a 2x2 tent but a 250w hps should be just perfect if you can air cool it alot of people are using tents now its kinda rad :boogie:

well if you had to 6" ports in the walls of the 2x2 tent you could use a yield master II classic 6" or the supreme they are 23.75"L x 22.5"W x 7.25"H
so if you had those 2 6" ports in the walls and you didn't need to move the hood up and down you could mounts your duct through the holes and hang that beauty in there and rock a 600 if you had a good enough fan!

Top Bottom