Best setup for 70 plants indoors? 19x18 room

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BCrocker

BCrocker

What do you guys think is the best way to grow 70 plants indoors, in a room 19 feet x 18 feet?

I have enough cooling for 18000 watts. So 18 x 1000 or a combination of 600s and 1000s

BCrocker

BCrocker

I'm just not sure how I should grow em.. I wish I had a bigger space for them. I have done 36 plants in this size without issue, vert bulbes. Now I am thinking 4 plants per horizontal bulb in 7 gallon smart pots maybe

BCrocker

BCrocker

18000 watts? You can grow a *hell* of a lot more than 70 plants. Figuring that you're spacing plants 1 foot apart, that's 70 square feet of plants. Considering that each plant only needs 60W per square foot minimum, means that you can grow 70 plants with 4200W (60*70). I'd go with 5000W just to make it easier.

However, I'm very interested in your cooling. How are you rigging it up to cool such an obscene amount of watts?

The plan has changed somewhat since this post. Well, the plan is still 16K to 18K (17K) with 8tons of cooling (overkill on the cooling and no aircooled lights)

This is a medical and has a set # of plants. 75. The room will be 8 x 1000 over a 28site UC. 6 x 1000 over the remainder of plants in smart pots/coco. With 3 x 1000 hanging vertical in between the two different setups.

17K for this first run and see how it goes. The smartpot/coco area will be upgrade to UC once I get the hang of the UC. :)

hiboy

hiboy

Brah
depends on your skiillzzzzz
cant take on more than ya know.
and how much time will you have to dedicate once its running.
Different styles... different needs
h

P

Producer

Thats a huge project man...
I dont know...
best of luck to you.

E

Empire

i have a 16x25 foot room and 10 lights horizontal is tight. just sayin. your square footage is really small for that amount of lighting. u have to have room to work, and room for the air handler, dehuey, and all the other shit thats involved. unless of coarse your just going to cram the entire room wall to wall and make working in there a living hell.

that size room is perfect for 10k, 5-4x8 tables. 15 pots per table, 3 gals. thats the magic recipe. u cram that room full of lights and plants and your gonna sorely regret it. just speaking from experience. good luck

BCrocker

BCrocker

It's not my first show. :) The last thing that ran in this room was 22x600 and it yielded 32 lbs and change of PK. (SOG, 15 per light, 5 ton AC, co2 up to 1600, 1700 ppm food, primarily GH line with a couple additives) Was a perfect round with absolutely zero problems or pests. Wish they were all that good :)

AC's, dehumid x2 , and cans will all be hung and out of the way. Ceilings are about 9 feet after framing. I'll get some pics up when it's rolling :)

J

Jalisco Kid

So you want to spend money on a hard system to run(See failures a lot on people trying more then 3 runs) those that do succeed get less then a lb on avg, some get 2. You already are beating those odds with what you ran earlier. I would look at chow mixes for the long haul as they will out preform hydro systems if you look at them say on a 5-10 year haul.
I could run 18k in a 20 x 22' room no problem. 8 tons is a proper design not an overkill if it get hot outdoors where you are at. JK
I would look at dd buckets before uc unless you do not have the time or handskills or money to get something better.

V

VolcanoVapin

Go vertical... you could do a 70 plant SOG with just a single 600w or 1000w bulb with careful/creative positioning of plants. Imagine filling your whole space with vertical lights with 70 clones in a circle around each light...

BCrocker

BCrocker

So you want to spend money on a hard system to run(See failures a lot on people trying more then 3 runs) those that do succeed get less then a lb on avg, some get 2. You already are beating those odds with what you ran earlier. I would look at chow mixes for the long haul as they will out preform hydro systems if you look at them say on a 5-10 year haul.
I could run 18k in a 20 x 22' room no problem. 8 tons is a proper design not an overkill if it get hot outdoors where you are at. JK
I would look at dd buckets before uc unless you do not have the time or handskills or money to get something better.

Good points. Can you point me to these 'chow mixes' setups? Not familiar with them. I have looked at dd's buckets, I do have a non-related full time job as well. What are the problems/issues you see with the current UC setups?

To be honest, it would make complete sense to stick to what I know with this new room and get consistant #'s. The problem, if you can call it that, is I am treating this as a hobby as well. :

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
It's not my first show. :) The last thing that ran in this room was 22x600 and it yielded 32 lbs and change of PK. (SOG, 15 per light, 5 ton AC, co2 up to 1600, 1700 ppm food, primarily GH line with a couple additives) Was a perfect round with absolutely zero problems or pests. Wish they were all that good :)

AC's, dehumid x2 , and cans will all be hung and out of the way. Ceilings are about 9 feet after framing. I'll get some pics up when it's rolling :)

>>you should listen to Empire<<
cramming like that isn't the way to go brah>>less plants = more space = bigger yield<<
Doing so this way you will have nothing but fat nugz and tops<<no bottom larf>>
Im thinking that half of the 32pounds you harvested did not consist of all choice nugs that are marketable?

gtd:passingjoint:

BCrocker

BCrocker

>>you should listen to Empire<<
cramming like that isn't the way to go brah>>less plants = more space = bigger yield<<
Doing so this way you will have nothing but fat nugz and tops<<no bottom larf>>
Im thinking that half of the 32pounds you harvested did not consist of all choice nugs that are marketable?

gtd:passingjoint:

Ahh, this thread is getting crazy lol. I am not doing 15 per light anymore. The entire room will only have 75 plants. Cheers

The 32lb run the plants were cleaned up so they were only middles and tops really. Turned out pretty good. I might have some pics

purpleberry

purpleberry

If you ran 7-10 gal pots on the floor you could do 4 rows of 4 lights, 4 plants per light, Youd have a couple extra feet on one side to slide over a few rows of plants when you water. Every other day water isnt really that bad, just cage each plant separate. I work on a few rooms that are wall to wall and running separate plants with a little wiggle room for moving shit around is the only way i can do it, Kinda hard to run trays or a UC wall to wall, you wont be able to do anything.

J

Jalisco Kid

Look in the coir section, Mrdrizzle and a few others had problems with dd or uc systems and went to a chow mix or coir/perlite. I have ran both and think the chow mix progresses the plants along more quickly.JK
If it is more of a hobby and you want ease and the Best Quality then look at the BM3000 or an LP aero unit. JK
Good points. Can you point me to these 'chow mixes' setups? Not familiar with them. I have looked at dd's buckets, I do have a non-related full time job as well. What are the problems/issues you see with the current UC setups?

To be honest, it would make complete sense to stick to what I know with this new room and get consistant #'s. The problem, if you can call it that, is I am treating this as a hobby as well. :

hiboy

hiboy

Since u got some skillzzz
and a full time job.
i would run flood tables, two 100 watters over a 4x8.
then pick your medium.
rw or coco top feed on timers.
my rw systems i build and am currently building in a 12x 25 footer need care only every 3 days.
h

Z

Zensai

Your bigger concern with the number of plants you are planning on going is way to many for the space if you are going to use UC. With the amount of space and watts you have, You would be better taking your UC and configuring it for 8 plants or so, and do a mix of vert and horiz bulbs.

You will find that in the UC they will become overgrown far to quickly and you will not be able to control them easily.

What centers are you planning on running with that many plants. Based on the plant count and size, you are going to have to consider keeping them small in veg before you flip them into flower.

Honestly it has been my experience that UC systems are great for growing much larger plants then using it as a system to do alot of plants. UC seems ideal for growing limited plant count and growing them huge. That is my opinion of course, I know JACK and many others have down the Hedge row style grows with UC which works great as well if you have the space to accomidate that method.

BCrocker

BCrocker

If you ran 7-10 gal pots on the floor you could do 4 rows of 4 lights, 4 plants per light, Youd have a couple extra feet on one side to slide over a few rows of plants when you water. Every other day water isnt really that bad, just cage each plant separate. I work on a few rooms that are wall to wall and running separate plants with a little wiggle room for moving shit around is the only way i can do it, Kinda hard to run trays or a UC wall to wall, you wont be able to do anything.

Ya I am doing something like that.. but half the room is UC and half is coco/7 gal smart pots

Look in the coir section, Mrdrizzle and a few others had problems with dd or uc systems and went to a chow mix or coir/perlite. I have ran both and think the chow mix progresses the plants along more quickly.JK
If it is more of a hobby and you want ease and the Best Quality then look at the BM3000 or an LP aero unit. JK

I'll check out the coir section, thanks for the info.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Since u got some skillzzz
and a full time job.
i would run flood tables, two 100 watters over a 4x8.
then pick your medium.
rw or coco top feed on timers.
my rw systems i build and am currently building in a 12x 25 footer need care only every 3 days.
h

I have thought of that route too. The veg for the UC in this room will be done on two flood tables with 6x600w mh's..

Your bigger concern with the number of plants you are planning on going is way to many for the space if you are going to use UC. With the amount of space and watts you have, You would be better taking your UC and configuring it for 8 plants or so, and do a mix of vert and horiz bulbs.

You will find that in the UC they will become overgrown far to quickly and you will not be able to control them easily.

What centers are you planning on running with that many plants. Based on the plant count and size, you are going to have to consider keeping them small in veg before you flip them into flower.

Honestly it has been my experience that UC systems are great for growing much larger plants then using it as a system to do alot of plants. UC seems ideal for growing limited plant count and growing them huge. That is my opinion of course, I know JACK and many others have down the Hedge row style grows with UC which works great as well if you have the space to accomidate that method.

I am only doing 28-30 plants in the UC in actually over half the room. The other area of the room is 8' x 14' that will be smart pots/coco with 6x1000. I'll get some pics up when the room is completed more so.

edit: also there will be no pre-veg this first round. The 28 plants will start in the UC and the others (47 or so) will start in 4" pots then 1 gal then straight to 7gal smart pots. 4 weeks veg then kick

Top Bottom