Best Soil And Nutrient/fertilizer Combination To Keep Things Simple?

• Thread starter giannid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bodean

Bodean

No luck on the sunshine #4 locally but can get Fox farm soils. Do you think it would be ok to start with a 50/50 mix of happy frog/ocean forest? Not sure what you mean by ocean forest being hot?

If I use the botanicare products, I only need to feed one time a week? Obviously would have to water more.
I used to use botanicare pbp. Fed once a week and was fine. I switched to a more local company though. I use meigs nutrients now. Running with the roots organic soil. About all I do really. Except add a little recharge with feedings.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

No luck on the sunshine #4 locally but can get Fox farm soils. Do you think it would be ok to start with a 50/50 mix of happy frog/ocean forest? Not sure what you mean by ocean forest being hot?

If I use the botanicare products, I only need to feed one time a week? Obviously would have to water more.
Really, don't overthink it. Ocean Farms has added nutrients in it. Because of this, beginners can have problems with overfeeding/burning their plants. Happy Frog is milder, less chance of burn. Blending just complicates things, and the original expressed goal is for a simple solution that will work. Happy frog is safer if you're learning.

I generally end up feeding one watering in three. With feeding, less can be more. You have to understand that nutes are really like vitamins for a plant, not calories. You'll be better off feeding lightly. Using the Ocean Forest will complicate that. If you do mix the ocean forest in, plan on not feeding at all for at least a month, as the plant uses what the soil provides. Plan on feeding a less concentrated mix. .

I use Happy Frog, as I want to control the bulk of my nutrients through my feedings. I don't want to have to figure out what the soil has left in it. I don't want excess nitrogen left in the soil when I convert to flowering.

Lots of guys get fancy with blends and additives. Few of them, IMHO, generate results that exceed what my simple approach yields. See the top and bottom links in my sig for an example of what the simple approach yields - average of 2 lbs a plant outdoors.

G

giannid

Hot as in has it's own nutrients amended into the soil (NOT time released, but can kill or damage new seedlings). No additional nutes needed until those are used up (depending on soil..up to 30 days worth FFOF))I switched from Canna Nutes to Megacrop..saved a ton and the product is actually better without many supplements. I do continue Botincare Sweet unflavored, even though I hate the fact that Monsanto now owns or controls them. I cave in on that and GH (also Monsanto) PH up/down.
So you think my best bet is to use 40%-40%-20%, happy frog, strawberry field, pearlite with the the megagroup is my best option? I can get this all locally except the megacrop which I can have shipped to me easily. How often do you fertilize with the mega? You use this blend from start to finish?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So you think my best bet is to use 40%-40%-20%, happy frog, strawberry field, pearlite with the the megagroup is my best option? I can get this all locally except the megacrop which I can have shipped to me easily. How often do you fertilize with the mega? You use this blend from start to finish?
So much for simple. You're well on your way to a post "What's wrong with my grow?" Later.

G

giannid

So much for simple. You're well on your way to a post "What's wrong with my grow?" Later.
I'm just exploring my options. What you have recommended is very simple and I appreciate the advice. I might grow a few different ways and see what works for the best. I'm pretty sure I'll be using your recommendation. Going to try and locate the botanicare pro products locally.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

That is about the % that I use. You can always vary it to your own liking. Perlite is Very important.
You may like the FFOF better than SF, but I didn't. I used the Ocean Forest for about 2 yrs before switching.

I used to use Canna Terra nutes (pricey but good). I got a free sample from greenleafnutrients.com and loved it. Yes, you use the same product throughout the grow, albeit in different strengths that you mix (I use my gram scale). I did find the need to add Calcium (Cal-mag) as deficiencys showed without it.
You should experiment for yourself and gather up free samples where possible. That's a better way to learn imo. These things are our best guess and different strains..yada, yada..

Megacrop is most cost effective in the 22lb size ($50 some odd dollars), and it lasts forever. I was lucky and got a 1000gr sample that I am still using. Remember..if you go with Foxfarm soils..no ferts are needed from 2-4 weeks as there is plenty in the soil.

My complete feed is: (other than experimentation)
Megacrop base
Ginormous PK booster (flower)
Botincare Sweet raw in flower
Assorted beneficials (Mycos etc)
Herculean Harvest (Nectar of the Gods Calcium throughout the grow)
** plus an weekly dash of liquid Kelp in mid-late flower. CAREFUL as the Megacrop already has kelp within

Important....as with most nutrients and Cannabis..LESS IS MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If the op ends up using ocean forest or happy frog (which is even denser and is actually their budget soil) I highly recommend mixing in 25% more large perlite to help with drainage. Also to break up the clumps in the bag and mix real well to avoid hot clumps of unmixed guano and such.

And to be very cautious not to water too frequently. Especially with the young plants.

G

giannid

Happy Frog is widely available and is good. Sunshine #4 is very good. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is good, but is 'hot', a little trickier to use.

I'd get Sunshine #4 if available, Happy Frog if its not.

I use Botanicare Pro, veg and Bloom, nothing else. Mix to 3/4 recommended strength, use weekly.

Those will grow you a healthy crop with little trouble.
When you mention the Botanicare pro veg, you're referring to the grow formula? I found the line but no mention of one called veg just grow.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I think pro-mix hp and a complete one part fertilizer with micro nutes is the best way to start.

Teaches how to watch and fertilize plants as needed and to properly maintain the medium without too much penalty for minor mistakes.

I use amended potting soil like ocean forest now with pure blend pro grow added only in flower but the transition from water only to adding nutes can be trickier with the organic nutrients involved.
Listen to this wise dude. Hp with simple nutes. Best way to learn. If you do use fox farm or whatever, NO NUTES for a good while. And when you do add half what you think you should and watch for deficiencies. Slightly deficient plant will ALWAYS yield better and better product than a plant that has been “locked out” or burnt with nutes even one time. Plus it will actually done on time. An 8 week strain will take 10-11 weeks if you lock it out and it just sits there suspended in time, not growing. I have experienced this as has probable everyone one here

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Listen to this wise dude. Hp with simple nutes. Best way to learn. If you do use fox farm or whatever, NO NUTES for a good while. And when you do add half what you think you should and watch for deficiencies. Slightly deficient plant will ALWAYS yield better and better product than a plant that has been “locked out” or burnt with nutes even one time. Plus it will actually done on time. An 8 week strain will take 10-11 weeks if you lock it out and it just sits there suspended in time, not growing. I have experienced this as has probable everyone one here

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter

Seaweed works wonders on lockout or overfertilized plants ime. Actually right about 4-5 days ago my plants were getting tip curls and signs of burn. I guess need to add a bit more light mix to my mix :) still on the adjustment phase. 2 sprays of seaweed 2 days apart (very mild dosage) and they look healthy as ever. Actually biobizz alg-a-mic is what they got. Thats probably the only product i’ll ever pay for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom