Best SOIL for hosting MOTHERS

• Thread starter LEBDOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

darookie2000

I use roots and like it because you dont need to add perilite, and has alot of coco in it vrs peatmoss. Ive seen a few people say its hot, and I dont think it is all. If I pot up into it and feed water the first time Ill get yellow leaves by the next watering, so i feed the first time, and I feed everyother watering.
Ive seen small clones almost die going straight into FFOF

Is that the soilless mix? It's the one that doesn't smell like chicken shit. If so, I agree, it's not nearly as hot.

B

BayArea

I agree w/ Billy. Coco tends to have ph swings. The key IMO is to have enough organic material to maintain a consistant medium throughout the long growth period most mothers go through. I use a 50/50 mix of Flower Power and Sunshine mix#4 w/ some chunky pearlite added. The flower power has some serious bloom type nutes and a level and consistant N. source. Mothers clone best with lower levels of N. - developing softer growth and less woody stems. The higher phosphorus and potasium inside the plant will asist in quick root developement on the clones. I find so many growers are concerned with how to handle they're clones after actually cutting them from the mother rather than developing a mother that produces growth ready for cloning - if that makes sence. In any case my mothers spit out 30 to 40 ready clones weekly that root very quickly. I have six mothers in 10 gallon buckets - each about 5' tall and bushy as hell. I used different soil mixes in some of them for comparison. The above mentioned mix has far out produced the others.

L

LEBDOG

I agree w/ Billy. Coco tends to have ph swings. The key IMO is to have enough organic material to maintain a consistant medium throughout the long growth period most mothers go through. I use a 50/50 mix of Flower Power and Sunshine mix#4 w/ some chunky pearlite added. The flower power has some serious bloom type nutes and a level and consistant N. source. Mothers clone best with lower levels of N. - developing softer growth and less woody stems. The higher phosphorus and potasium inside the plant will asist in quick root developement on the clones. I find so many growers are concerned with how to handle they're clones after actually cutting them from the mother rather than developing a mother that produces growth ready for cloning - if that makes sence. In any case my mothers spit out 30 to 40 ready clones weekly that root very quickly. I have six mothers in 10 gallon buckets - each about 5' tall and bushy as hell. I used different soil mixes in some of them for comparison. The above mentioned mix has far out produced the others.

Very good point!

G

GroHi

Just to defend the coir... if you don't let it dry out & you have proper run-off, the pH stays just as stable as you mix your nutes. Peace to all.

Top Bottom