Best soil for seedlings?

• Thread starter GanjaAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Just want to pick your brains... I had my babies kick the bucket so I am switching over to the darkside and going with soil for my mommas. I am looking for the best soil to use for my seedlings that will be in rooter plugs.

The whole reason I never went with soil was that I was afraid of getting bugs... but I feel I may be able to keep it under control as I do not work with clones and do not visit other grows. Hope this will be enough to stay bug free.

Looking for a KISS soil... nothing that I really have to mix and fuss with. Will be using DM Gold series for food as I will be putting my cuttings into my UC system.

Thanks everyone in advance.

:help:

T

tattoojim

peep out roots organic in the camo bag. this is my first run with it and it kicks ass. if you want to check out my plants ,my thread is The new 2000watt grow.

jagle

jagle

i use nursery soil from local garden centre never did me wrong

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
peep out roots organic in the camo bag. this is my first run with it and it kicks ass. if you want to check out my plants ,my thread is The new 2000watt grow.

I use Fox farms Ocean forest and Happyfrog for young plants
works well for me
But I have been eyeballing that Roots stuff.
May give that a try

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Lots of bad batches Of Fox Farms coming out. I've had a couple buddies transplant into fresh Ofen Forest only to find the plants completely fried the next day. Roots Organics will have complimentary bugs. Your best bet is to get a bale of Promix HP and mix in some dolomite lime along with some worm casting and don't forget the Met52 to keep those aphids away. You'll have to feed more right off the bat, but it's a cleaner mix in the long run.

T

tattoojim

surfr is right ... i have seen a springtail as soon as i ripped open a bag. but all the good shit is hours away from me so i keep a bottle of azatrol on hand. ive had bug issues. so i pre treat my shit. looking good so far

C

chrisloc

Best Soil for seeds...

Fox Farm, Ocean Forest, and RO water. 1/2inch deep plant a see and give it clean water!

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Sounds great guys. I have been recommended black gold, anyone herd if it comes with bugs??? Sprintails are not to bad they are attracted to fungus but can wreak havoc on roots.

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

I've had problems with bugs in Roots soil too. Recently used Light Warrior from FF for some seedlings and i dont really like it TOO much, id LOVE roots if I didnt have to buy some expense Met52 to pretreat it with.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I have only heard bad things about RO soil, but that is all rumor unless I try it or see results. On the other hand, Ocean Forest is the only product from FF I have used. It seems to be a little strong for beans to be planted directly into, but I usually put my beans in cubes or plugs of some sort also. Now that I am learning more about soil amendments, I hope to only use the soil from my homemade vermicomposting system soon enough. (as well as other amendments obviously) Good luck!

-nugzz

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Now I am getting scarred of soil again... man I do not want to have to pretreat for bugs. Atleast with hydroton all I have to do is treat with H2O2 and hot water until no residue is left over. I am getting alot of feedback that it was the silica with airstone that killed my babies. Just waiting to see if there is any feedback on the black gold soil and if I need to treat. Thanks again everyone for the input.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Black gold is good stuff. Honestly bro, you should treat soil no matter what. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

You are so right brother... what is the best way to treat? any consistant methods you can share with me?

pwg_captin420

pwg_captin420

I use jungle grow cut iy with pearlite n peatmoss from miracle grow
Seems fine. But I'm a nubb.. just my 2cent
Peace

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Going to be using smart pots... what do some of you guys recomend as far as cutting with pearlite to increase airation?

Ganjafarmer562

Ganjafarmer562

I always use FF Ocean Forest for my beans. I have had super high success rates( roughly 95%). I always soak the beans in RO water for 12-24 hours then germinate in a paper towel.
On the perlite matter you should def add a nice amount. If you don't mind watering a bit more frequently try in-between 40-50% perlite and I bet you will dig it!

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I always use FF Ocean Forest for my beans. I have had super high success rates( roughly 95%). I always soak the beans in RO water for 12-24 hours then germinate in a paper towel.

Same here. Except with bottled water.

CageyBee

CageyBee

I havent had any problems with roots besides the occasional fungus gnat. A good drench of some microbelift bti and they are all gone. I have started running the met52 in my soil mix also.

G

GrimloxK

Like OG said as well as others...the roots potting soil comes with bugs.

The pro is that springtails are in their which seem to be beneficial

The con is that their was also fungus gnats laying dormant for a while. They sprang up on my at 6th week of flower and so far i've kept their population under control.

It's good soil but the fungus gnats can be a problem if you don't take action.

Top Bottom