Best solution for spider mites

• Thread starter ogwon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think that everyone should look into Kontos. It has a veg. label and is systemic with a 6 to 8 weeks. Its sister product JUDO is the number one mite control in the Greenhouse industry. You can water in as a drench. I have just started in the Cannabis growing but i have 30 years in the Greenhouse industry I own a large annual and floral greenhouse in CO. I use drip, ebb and flow as well as flood floor growing. plus i use boom sprayers and for cost per square foot those 2 are fantastic. Most important is there MOA is all by themselves. the Problem with avid is its over use as well as conserve. Florida has outlawed Conserve SC in several counties because the insect are immune. Spider mites and trips being the fastest to gain resistance because they don't need males to reproduce.

In California both those substances are pretty heavily controlled, in other words you need proper licensing to purchase (of course we all know it's no problem, just hit the hydro shop, but that's a problem in my world). I only have one question for you, because you mention annuals and florals--are any of these products you mentioned approved for use on consumables? What's the PHI? I think everyone here knows me to be the hyper-organic method woman, and with specific regard to mites I feel we need to be extra diligent because they develop resistance so quickly and easily. Not to mention that in California we've already had lots and lots of help from home gardeners and the ag industry in making resistance organisms.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Unfortunately you can, just not legally. What's the PHI for Kontos, and does it have to be rotated?

PerfectCure

PerfectCure

I've had very good results with my own Hot Pepper Spray mix (W/home grown Ghost chilies) alternating every 3-4 days with neem, and plain old spot and stock those buggers with a sponge or washcloth and HPS mix. Like people have said persistence pays off. Gotta have a loop to see how your product is affecting them and adjust from there! Good luck
+1 on cleanliness!

urbanfog

urbanfog

+1 on cleanliness!

biggest way to keep em in check, GOT to keep room clean. I found a mix of azamax and Bonide "All Seasons" horticulture spray has stopped the buggers I had. I sprayed (soaked) all plants at 2 week intervals and also stripped my rooms to clean ( bleach & water and steam cleaner) with both applications and so far I have not seen any .........finally

C

Cherokee Joe

I just finished wiping them out of my closet and tent with Hot Shot No Pest Strips. Hang one or two in a tent, they will gass off over the time. Your scumbag mites will be gone. Do some research lots of blades have been using them for years. They're safe too.

C

Cherokee Joe

Yes they are safe. The amount of dichlorvos is miniscule and the development of resistance is no more than anything else used to combat the mites.

Wikipedia is the most bullshit place to find accurate information and if you ever believe the government, well then keep believing them I guess but my experience has shown the the governments of the states and the federals LIE.

The only way these pest strips are dangerous to humans is if you eat them. If anyone is going around and eating these things then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences. USED as the labeling says they are totally safe to use and your product is totally safe to consume. This chemical is being used to combat mites and other creepy assed things in the food industry today. Nearly every granary in the US uses dichlorvos within their grain stocks.

Then again if you don't want to use these things, go ahead makes no difference to me, I refuse to argue time is too short and I know that my information is accurate.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Yes they are safe. The amount of dichlorvos is miniscule and the development of resistance is no more than anything else used to combat the mites.

Wikipedia is the most bullshit place to find accurate information and if you ever believe the government, well then keep believing them I guess but my experience has shown the the governments of the states and the federals LIE.

The only way these pest strips are dangerous to humans is if you eat them. If anyone is going around and eating these things then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences. USED as the labeling says they are totally safe to use and your product is totally safe to consume. This chemical is being used to combat mites and other creepy assed things in the food industry today. Nearly every granary in the US uses dichlorvos within their grain stocks.

Then again if you don't want to use these things, go ahead makes no difference to me, I refuse to argue time is too short and I know that my information is accurate.
No argument from me about safety is you wish to use them. However read the second part of Seamaiden's post. Spider mites will develop a resistance to this product.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Wikipedia can be an excellent source of information, but if you feel it's not the resources used to compile the page are easily verified.

I'm aware of how it's being used in granaries, flea collars, etc, but it's also come close to being banned by the EPA on more than one occasion, and for good reason. I am still surprised that it has not been banned.

If you read the label, the manufacturer says themselves that these are *not* to be used in spaces where humans or pets frequent. If you're going to argue about use according to labeling, please highlight where on the label it says it can be used to control spider mites, let alone on live cannabis, let alone in spaces where humans and animals might frequent. None of that addresses the issue of resistance being caused by over- and misuse of an acaricide like this.

But, let me post up some other stuff that supports my argument against using them (assuming the label isn't enough):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19330529
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685616

I have more, time is of the essence.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Wikipedia can be an excellent source of information, but if you feel it's not the resources used to compile the page are easily verified.

I'm aware of how it's being used in granaries, flea collars, etc, but it's also come close to being banned by the EPA on more than one occasion, and for good reason. I am still surprised that it has not been banned.

If you read the label, the manufacturer says themselves that these are *not* to be used in spaces where humans or pets frequent. If you're going to argue about use according to labeling, please highlight where on the label it says it can be used to control spider mites, let alone on live cannabis, let alone in spaces where humans and animals might frequent. None of that addresses the issue of resistance being caused by over- and misuse of an acaricide like this.

But, let me post up some other stuff that supports my argument against using them (assuming the label isn't enough):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19330529
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685616

I have more, time is of the essence.
Oh gurl...I luv when you get into a debate.

urbanfog

urbanfog

yep, I used them when I first started growing, kept mites at bay for awhile. Then I read a bunch on them and found they were not as safe as I thought. Also after using them I noticed they stopped being effective , mites came back. Now I use the above post regimen and focus more on cleaning my rooms and following application directions.

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

Mightywash seems to take them out . Im not sure how , or why , but I'm all so not asking ; )

Boradmites ? now thats a different kind of evil . Caps Benies and persistence ( spray something every 2 days )

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yep, gotta love those plant essential oils!

frebo

frebo

I used Caps bennies, needs oil, Organicide and in my twice a week tea I added Neem Seed meal. I found no mites all summer until the last week on one plant only. Great grow year here in Oregon.

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

I dont know if OP took care of the problem yet. But yes i have used tetrasan and it works. But u gotta be careful about how much you use and to mix that shit real well. Also it's only for ornamentals. so watch out for that. I'd spray at like 2-3 week olds. and not clones. or else it might burn them. i usually use 3.5g per gallon. but honestly u should use like 2g a gallon and go from there. mix and use it ALL up. dont let it linger in ur sprayer. use what u mix. i made the mistake of using it 2-3 days after i first mixed it, and it burned my plants. so heads up.

I also spray with forbid aka spiromesifin if u can get that for cheap from a growshop. Also use avid in veg only. but yeah. use the forbid, then after a week. use avid. and then a week after that use tetra. and then neem for the rest of the plant life or go back into rotation. Sorry if i brought up an old thread. i just havent seen any answers the OP MIGHT have been looking for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom