Best System For Sog?

• Thread starter fortphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fortphoenix

fortphoenix

hey guys I’m trying to start a SOG and i was wondering if any of you guys have any experience in multiple systems with sog? like under perfect conditions what is going to get you the best quality/quantity? I’ve heard aeroponics is the best but what about coco or ebb & flow hydroton? or super soil? I’m open to all suggestions

I’ve also seen aeroponic system like the aquamist thats like aero/dwc, then theres systems like the aeroflo thats like aero/NFT… I’m hoping to hear every ones input, thanks!!

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

There really is no best way. Have you tried any of the above in the past? Ebb and flow using rockwool cubes on 4x8 trays is a decent way, but I prefer to hand water in densely square pots using vermiculite/perlite so I can spend more time with the plants and water manually and look for issues. Not a fan of reservoirs or pumps, so many things can go wrong fast, not worth the risk or complexity. Just my 2 cents.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

It all depends. If you don't mind taking out trash or making a mess re-using then coco is the way to go...if you need to be discrete rockwool or rockwool transplanted into hydroton is a good way to go. You'll probably want to irrigate a scrog too, your back will thank you and so will the plants.

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

There really is no best way. Have you tried any of the above in the past? Ebb and flow using rockwool cubes on 4x8 trays is a decent way, but I prefer to hand water in densely square pots using vermiculite/perlite so I can spend more time with the plants and water manually and look for issues. Not a fan of reservoirs or pumps, so many things can go wrong fast, not worth the risk or complexity. Just my 2 cents.
no i haven't but i definitely want something thats automated and for the most part all i have to do is top the reservoir and make sure everythings working and going right instead of individually watering. if i was to do flood and drain id do that with a pump and timer too so do you think id just be better off with aeroponics since I'm sure id get a way nicer.faster yield then with rock wool?

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

no i haven't but i definitely want something thats automated and for the most part all i have to do is top the reservoir and make sure everythings working and going right instead of individually watering. if i was to do flood and drain id do that with a pump and timer too so do you think id just be better off with aeroponics since I'm sure id get a way nicer.faster yield then with rock wool?

I am not right one to ask, never tried them, just seen them. sorry...

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

It all depends. If you don't mind taking out trash or making a mess re-using then coco is the way to go...if you need to be discrete rockwool or rockwool transplanted into hydroton is a good way to go. You'll probably want to irrigate a scrog too, your back will thank you and so will the plants.

yeah discretion is definitely huge for me thats why i think aero would be good for me too so i won't have to bring in/get rid of a growing medium, so you don't think the extra yield/fast harvest is worth doing aero even if you had a shit ton of time on your hands?

i always used soil for sog and hand watering i like getting up n personal with my girls

i would hand water if i was trying to do tree-like plants but watering a shit ton of plants is too tedious for my back

Mr.X

Mr.X

Aeroponics is definitely not for beginners bro, i dont know what your skill level is... but if your asking these questions i would have to say that your a beginner. (No offense intended) that being said and your need for discretion i would have to say that your best bet is flood and drain with rockwool. You dont mention the space you have available but nowadays there are trays in pretty much every size imaginable. The most important thing for SOG growing is you should start from clones. This would allow the plants to flower as soon as you flip to 12/12 because they are chronologically of age to do so. Plants started from seed wont be mature in time for it to be a true sea of green, keep in mind that they will stretch quite a bit before they're done. Strain is also very important, you should go with a pure indica strain. Hope this helps, best of luck.

T

Theinphase1

I have used pumps and reservoirs and timers for many, many years without failure, gravity feed return to reservoir so I find your aurgument pointless, there was no way I was going to hand water 88 plants 4 times a day. The idea of that much work tending the plants is rediculous and un-neccessary. I don't manually turn on and off my lights either or vent fans and a/c units either. I'm into automation as much as possible. Consitentcy is the whole point and crop after crop is how most people measure success in growing professionally. I am not your average home grower, I formulated my own hydroponic fertilizer solution over 30 years ago, all twelve dry salts, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrogen, Sulfer, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, Molybdenum, Hydrogen and Oxygen from the water of course, and that is all the essential elements any plant I know of that is needed to for any plant to go from seed to harvest, those who claim that Cannabor is needs Cobalt, or silicon in the trace elements is full of horse pucky. I am not going to get "married" to a watering can, or my plants. I'm planning on running up to 96 lights in four rooms, though with either Gavita's or PL Lighting double ended lamps with their deep penitration reflectors I will likely use 85 lamps to cover an area that would have normally required 100 HID lamps. With four rooms, I can take down a crop every two weeks! In my State, we don't just allow for medical any more, and I am a card holder, we now have legal recreational too. Rock wool is good, but it is a hassle to get rid of it, it isn't recycleable, so I am back to useing hydrogroton stones, which can be reused again and again, with a purge and rake out of the stones to clean out the roots. I have used a stong acid solution during the flush to clean out the deposits that build up, and nuetralize the ph to 7 with an over night soak, then it's set up time again. In all my years of growing I have never had a pump fail, or a timer failure, the number one reason is attention to details and don't buy cheap timers or pumps, industrial products that are well known name brands are my choice, Grainger, Platt Electric, or McMaster Carr industrial suppliers, don't get cheap here, it's not worth it.

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

I have used pumps and reservoirs and timers for many, many years without failure, gravity feed return to reservoir so I find your aurgument pointless, there was no way I was going to hand water 88 plants 4 times a day. The idea of that much work tending the plants is rediculous and un-neccessary. I don't manually turn on and off my lights either or vent fans and a/c units either. I'm into automation as much as possible. Consitentcy is the whole point and crop after crop is how most people measure success in growing professionally. I am not your average home grower, I formulated my own hydroponic fertilizer solution over 30 years ago, all twelve dry salts, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrogen, Sulfer, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, Molybdenum, Hydrogen and Oxygen from the water of course, and that is all the essential elements any plant I know of that is needed to for any plant to go from seed to harvest, those who claim that Cannabor is needs Cobalt, or silicon in the trace elements is full of horse pucky. I am not going to get "married" to a watering can, or my plants. I'm planning on running up to 96 lights in four rooms, though with either Gavita's or PL Lighting double ended lamps with their deep penitration reflectors I will likely use 85 lamps to cover an area that would have normally required 100 HID lamps. With four rooms, I can take down a crop every two weeks! In my State, we don't just allow for medical any more, and I am a card holder, we now have legal recreational too. Rock wool is good, but it is a hassle to get rid of it, it isn't recycleable, so I am back to useing hydrogroton stones, which can be reused again and again, with a purge and rake out of the stones to clean out the roots. I have used a stong acid solution during the flush to clean out the deposits that build up, and nuetralize the ph to 7 with an over night soak, then it's set up time again. In all my years of growing I have never had a pump fail, or a timer failure, the number one reason is attention to details and don't buy cheap timers or pumps, industrial products that are well known name brands are my choice, Grainger, Platt Electric, or McMaster Carr industrial suppliers, don't get cheap here, it's not worth it.

so you had 88 plants on flood and drain tables and thats what you're going to do with the 85light setup you use? do you fill the flood tables with hydroton of do you just put the plants in pots with hydroton (what kind of pots)

T

Theinphase1

I have used pumps and reservoirs and timers for many, many years without failure, gravity feed return to reservoir so I find your aurgument pointless, there was no way I was going to hand water 88 plants 4 times a day. The idea of that much work tending the plants is rediculous and un-neccesary. I don't manually turn on and off my lights either of vent fans and a/c units either. I'm into automation as much as possible. Consitentcy is the whole point and crop after crop is how most people measure success in growing professionally. I am not your average home grower, I formulated my own hydroponic fertilizer solution over 30 years ago, all twelve dry salts, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrogen, Sulfer, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, Manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, Molybdenum, Hydrogen and Oxygen from the water of course, and that is all the essential elements any plant I know of that is needed to for any plant to go from seed to harvest, those who claim that Cannabor is needs Cobalt, or silicon in the trace elements is full of horse pucky. I am not going to get "married" to a watering can, or my plants. I'm planning on running up to 96 lights in four rooms, though with either Gavita's or PL Lighting double ended lamps with their deep penitration reflectors I will likely use 85 lamps to cover an area that would have normally required 100 HID lamps. With four rooms, I can take down a crop every two weeks! In my State, we don't just allow for medical any more, and I am a card holder, we now have legal recreational too. Rock wool is good, but it is a hassle to get rid of it, it isn't recycleable, so I am back to useing hydrogroton stones, which can be reused again and again, with a purge and rake out of the stones to clean out the roots. I have used a stong acid solution during the flush to clean out the deposits that build up, and nuetralize the ph to 7 with an over night soak, then it's set up time again. In all my years of growing I have never had a pump fail, or a timer failure, the number one reason is attention to details and don't buy cheap timers or pumps, industrial products that are well known name brands are my choice, Grainger, Platt Electric, or McMaster Carr industrial suppliers, don't get cheap here, it's not worth it.

so you had 88 plants on flood and drain tables and thats what you're going to do with the 85light setup you use? do you fill the flood tables with hydroton of do you just put the plants in pots with hydroton (what kind of pots)

T

Theinphase1

I see that you didn't absorb the fact I mentioned rock wool was the media in use in that grow, now with landfill costs and the lack of being able to reuse rock wool forces me to use hydrogroton, this is being worked out now, with the help of Cultivators Supply, they will design the layout and containers to be used, I am looking forward to their design concepts as to how to utilize the hydrogroton media, and the recycleing of the hydrogroton to reduce the costs and the environmental impact with recycling will for all intents will be eliminated, the water run off into the sewer will be minmal, even the water captured via dehumification will be recycled. As this project gets bigger, co-generation of electricity and capture of the waste heat will be utilyzed and the CO2 will be used as well, CO2 levels will be monitored and controlled via controllers tied into the computer system that will handle all area's to be managed. The CO2 systsem will be shut down while humans are inside doing routine maintenace, so a diverter will be needed to shunt the exaust from the turbine will be shunted away from the grow rooms while workers are inside. Waste heat will be used in winter to heat the building, and provide hot water for the dailey oporations as well. As far as the money to build such a massive grow, well we'll just grow it, which is better then what the Federal Reserve does, they just print it as they need it, which devalues the dollar, at least people will want something they value more then they do fiat backed by nothing dollars. Have a great day!

DrFever

DrFever

??? ?and what i used my picture lots there sherlock you going to say this ones not mine either sherlock or how about my out door one i will make sure today to post your name on it like before sherlock
you lifespan we know your little wet behind the ear but really
Dscf3045r
IMG2565

lol Yup i am busted haha you got my new name on RIU see i got banned from there way before your time and i was DrFever way before your time there kiddo

Last edited:
Lyfespan

Lyfespan

??? ?and what i used my picture lots there sherlock you going to say this ones not mine either sherlock or how about my out door one i will make sure today to post your name on it like before sherlock
you lifespan we know your little wet behind the ear but reallyView attachment 541159 View attachment 541160

lol Yup i am busted haha you got my new name on RIU see i got banned from there way before your time and i was DrFever way before your time there kiddo
you have been called out so many time by so many people, signs on what you have dont mean crap. hahahahahaha

DrFever

DrFever

you have been called out so many time by so many people, signs on what you have dont mean crap. hahahahahaha
I'm sorry you must be smoking shitty weed there fore you become a troll inspector life span lol

Top Bottom