best temporary pots for teens

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have a bunch of 12 to 14 inch teens. and 24 8 inch Alien pre teens.
they are in one gal plastic nursury pots.
All the females will go into beds when they show sex..and a few males will go in 7 gal plastic pots
But I think the 1 gal pots are holding these teens back..and it's hot (100*) so some need water everyday....i wanna put them in 2 or 3 gal pots till they show sex.

Do the roots get damaged when transplanting out of a cloth pot?

what do you guys recommend?

Blaze

Blaze

Oh yeah 1 gallons are much to small to hold a plant that big, especially in this heat. Transfer them to at least a 3 gallon (that is what I use to hold seedlings while they sex). A 7 gal might be a bit big - you want the root ball to be filled out before you transplant. A 7 gallon will take them a while to fill out and the sooner they are planted the happier they will be.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

hey ken, i believe youre trying to save the 1 gal fabric pot? if not then just cut the bottom out of it and pot up to a 3 gal and all is well. ive found transplanting 1 gal smart pots is some what difficult to not hurt the plant and save the pot. i usually leave the fabric pot for their final home and go with platic pots until then.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Oh yeah 1 gallons are much to small to hold a plant that big, especially in this heat. Transfer them to at least a 3 gallon (that is what I use to hold seedlings while they sex). A 7 gal might be a bit big - you want the root ball to be filled out before you transplant. A 7 gallon will take them a while to fill out and the sooner they are planted the happier they will be.
Awesome...Thanks Blaze...Im gonna go get some 3 gal pots...for the unsexed seedlings :)

hey ken, i believe youre trying to save the 1 gal fabric pot? if not then just cut the bottom out of it and pot up to a 3 gal and all is well. ive found transplanting 1 gal smart pots is some what difficult to not hurt the plant and save the pot. i usually leave the fabric pot for their final home and go with platic pots until then.

Yeah Cheese, I agree fabric pots are better for final homes....Plastic is better for temp.

i think. o_O...not sure..

but I chringe in pain when ever I tear a root:eek:...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
this thread needs photos

my Alien Army

Alienarmy6 3

and my Greengold army and friends

Greengoldarmy6 3

All need to be transplanted
got some work to do today...and beds to build soon too.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

damn ken.. you get to have all the fun.. really makes me what to hit the mountains and leave the city ! ive only had 1 outdoor grow and it was a decent in city limits grow. id love to blow it the fuck up out in the cuts tho!

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

oh yeah the bubba gold sounds like an amazing cross. is greengold the green crack cross?

Chobble

Chobble

I have a bunch of 12 to 14 inch teens. and 24 8 inch Alien pre teens.
they are in one gal plastic nursury pots.
All the females will go into beds when they show sex..and a few males will go in 7 gal plastic pots
But I think the 1 gal pots are holding these teens back..and it's hot (100*) so some need water everyday....i wanna put them in 2 or 3 gal pots till they show sex.

Do the roots get damaged when transplanting out of a cloth pot?

what do you guys recommend?

I've been thinking about a going to plastic or cloth style pots. Instead of the conventional hard wall. I've read through a few studys as to why you would want to do that and air pruning allows the roots to grow in a way that will make it easy for them to branch out when transplanted. Thats what we want, not for them to slowly root out into new soil.

At the larger garden I work at we just switched to 3 gal plastic bag pots. We plan on changing to cloth next year because using the plastic ones is wasteful. We filled them up 2/3 of the way to about 2 gal and got about 3 foot plants in two months. We just put them in the ground and they are taller the root systems where really big and great, no spirals either.

Point is its the best growth to pot size I've seen for 2 gallons of soil equally 3 feet with a really great root system, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Chobble

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks everyone.....I have used the cloth pots and I like them...except the mice chew them up..

oh yeah the bubba gold sounds like an amazing cross. is greengold the green crack cross?

Yep..Green gold is Green Crack X Himalayan Gold :D

Chobble

Chobble

Thanks everyone.....I have used the cloth pots and I like them...except the mice chew them up..

Yep..Green gold is Green Crack X Himalayan Gold :D

You have the worst luck with bugs/animals. Plant a garden to distract them?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You have the worst luck with bugs/animals. Plant a garden to distract them?
I completely dissagree Chobble...I have damn good luck when it comes to critters and bugs..

Have you seen my garden?

where do you live?...In the city? right?

Chobble

Chobble

I completely dissagree Chobble...I have damn good luck when it comes to critters and bugs..

Have you seen my garden?

where do you live?...In the city? right?

A mouse eating my seedlings is the worse thing that could happen to me, and it hasnt... Knock on wood (Which is why I say the worst luck >.<).

I live in the "City" the field mice recently disturbed by new construction has driven them into my guava tree.. a UCSC professor studies the ridiculous raccon "Society" in my town. The coons try to get in my attic
all the time. I have a skunk living in my ginger... Just no deer or bears.

Chobble

P.S. I'm a fan of your garden. I lurk all your threads. I do see a lot of field etc around your house though, in which I would recommend planting other plants then field that a lot of bugs that like "leafy greens" would rather eat then your pot plants :( I say it in the most loving way.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Right on chobble..;) Your right though, if I planted another garden with veggies...the critters would have a hayday on it......

Right now..Im pretty much at the mercy of all these critters..and bugs.....
They Let me have my garden.....And I am gratefull :)

Top Bottom