best testing kit for testing soil ph

• Thread starter catdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Try looking at getbluelab.com, they make quality products but are more expensive then the cheap ones from Lowes or Home Depot. Companies on Ebay sell Bluelab products but they also sell the cheap stuff too.

Most people don't use soil ph meters. Just get a ph pen and EC pen/meter, thats really all you need. If you wanna check the ph of your soil I think there is a way to do it without buying an expensive meter. I'm not positive, but, I think you mix equal parts (by weight) distilled water and soil, shake it, let it settle for 30 min then test the ph of the water. If somebody else could chime in and let us know if thats the correct way of doing it that would be great, thanks.

B

Badmf

"Badmf, post: 872339, member: 4822"]Just pour distilled h2o til runoff .

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Just pour distille dh2o til runoff

I grow in soil and I never used any meters or pens for anything because if I see deficiencies I just flush with distilled water then a few days later give it a light feed (depending on if it's vegging or blooming) and that always clears up any problems.

Ph and EC meters are alot more important when growing in hydro or coco, but IMO soil really doesn't need it.

catdaddy

catdaddy

I grow in soil and I never used any meters or pens for anything because if I see deficiencies I just flush with distilled water then a few days later give it a light feed (depending on if it's vegging or blooming) and that always clears up any problems.

Ph and EC meters are alot more important when growing in hydro or coco, but IMO soil really doesn't need it.
thanks for the input and i can't fully agree with you about not needing a ph/ppm meter. if it wasn't for the tester i wouldn't have known that my ph was very low and ppms were to the roof. i had to flush twice just to bring it to 6.1-6.2 along with bringing my ppms down.

as of now they're looking much better but when i wasn't monitoring either of the two shit got out of hand.

i use promix (soilless mix) so i don't know if the same applies with regular soil. from my experience dealing with a soilless mix a tester/meter is very much needed as any necessity that comes with growing.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

thanks for the input and i can't fully agree with you about not needing a ph/ppm meter. if it wasn't for the tester i wouldn't have known that my ph was very low and ppms were to the roof. i had to flush twice just to bring it to 6.1-6.2 along with bringing my ppms down.

as of now they're looking much better but when i wasn't monitoring either of the two shit got out of hand.

i use promix (soilless mix) so i don't know if the same applies with regular soil. from my experience dealing with a soilless mix a tester/meter is very much needed as any necessity that comes with growing.

Oh...your using a soilless mix, that is alot different then soil. When I said a Ph and Ec meter wasn't needed I was talking about something like Fox Farm Happy Frog which is already ph adjusted. Since FF soil is ph adjusted to 6. something all you really need to do is use distilled water and half strength nutes and most of the time you won't have to adjust the Ph at all. FF nutrients like Grow Big and Tiger Bloom are also Ph adjusted so it's really easy to grow without meters.

I never used promix so I'll take your word for it and I'm sure a Ph and EC meter would help you out alot when growing in a soilless media. I'm gonna start a coco coir grow soon and I definately need to get me a Ph and EC meter before I try coco.

Top Bottom