Best Top of The Line LED For 4x4 or 5x5?

• Thread starter Backyard_Boogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

Basically what's being said is that lenses can increase the intensity and quality of light being cast from a LED and what's also being said is that it does not apply to the grow room scenario.
I haven't looked into the brand you reference, but, at the end of the day, you can grow great weed with all sorts of different lights that do and do not have lenses, covers, etc.
As it stands, it's really unnecessary detail that we've gotten into and what's more important is real life scenarios and what people have to say about the lights they've actually used.

MonkeyGirl

MonkeyGirl

Basically what's being said is that lenses can increase the intensity and quality of light being cast from a LED and what's also being said is that it does not apply to the grow room scenario.
I haven't looked into the brand you reference, but, at the end of the day, you can grow great weed with all sorts of different lights that do and do not have lenses, covers, etc.
As it stands, it's really unnecessary detail that we've gotten into and what's more important is real life scenarios and what people have to say about the lights they've actually used.
That’s an excellent concise answer, thank you
Some have referenced the fact that a single harvest will cover the expense of the upgrade to leds, but I didn’t see anyone note (forgive me if I missed this) that your utility bill reduction is of course outstanding from getting off the HPS. They pay for themselves!!

Last edited:
Billymgb

Billymgb

You need to seriously consider the Gavita 1700e's.......... but whatever you buy, make sure they are waterproof, are dimmable in some fashion, have a 5 year warranty, have internal hooks to hang and you have a plan to add some UVB the last few weeks of flowering to increase resin. The below pic View attachment 1062827is the LED in a 4 X 4 area.........
How big is this room. That looks awesome by the way!!

sshz

sshz

4 x 4 space under each led........you don’t see the other side of the room but it looks exactly the same. The led’s Are 44 inches x 43 inches so they just fit in there.

sshz

sshz

"Tha gavita is not top of the line. It’s good but not great. Bad build quality, it has a bad par spread as well. The luxx led has the same par spread and it only has 6 bars and costs like 0 less. Hlg and scynce are definitely the top. I don’t think anyone can compete with scynce and their lenses/spectrum control. I had to replace my gavita 3 times out of the box because they were broke out of the gate"

This guy obviously has a bug up his ass about the Gavita's, most likely cause they are owned by Scotts/Monsanto or whomever. From experience, I will tell you they are a solid build and came perfect right out of the box. I tend not to believe him, but that's just my opinion. There's actually not too much difference between the top LED's, no matter who you choose- at least in performance.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My 2 lights of preference right now are the gavita 1700e and the HLG scorpion diablo. Both similar in price and performance. I believe the gavita is a bit better built but that specific HLG is a bit more efficient and don't think it comes certified but could be wrong.

I would love either of these lights but pretty much because of the controller needed I may give a slight edge to the Scorpion diablo for the single user hobbiest and for multi light commercial hands down gavita.

Anthem

Anthem

"Tha gavita is not top of the line. It’s good but not great. Bad build quality, it has a bad par spread as well. The luxx led has the same par spread and it only has 6 bars and costs like 0 less. Hlg and scynce are definitely the top. I don’t think anyone can compete with scynce and their lenses/spectrum control. I had to replace my gavita 3 times out of the box because they were broke out of the gate"

This guy obviously has a bug up his ass about the Gavita's, most likely cause they are owned by Scotts/Monsanto or whomever. From experience, I will tell you they are a solid build and came perfect right out of the box. I tend not to believe him, but that's just my opinion. There's actually not too much difference between the top LED's, no matter who you choose- at least in performance.
I would agree, but what are top LED. Fluence, Gavita and HLG? Luxx, Growers Choice and Lumitek are being made in the same factory in China from what I can tell. They all 3 use the same LED layout and bar types.
@Aqua Man the HLG's are the best deal all around from what I can tell. The problem/challenge with the Gavita's is controlling them. If you want to dim them you have to have a controller and they require and E series adaptor to plug into the controller. The e series adaptors run about $125.00 each for me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would agree, but what are top LED. Fluence, Gavita and HLG? Luxx, Growers Choice and Lumitek are being made in the same factory in China from what I can tell. They all 3 use the same LED layout and bar types.
@Aqua Man the HLG's are the best deal all around from what I can tell. The problem/challenge with the Gavita's is controlling them. If you want to dim them you have to have a controller and they require and E series adaptor to plug into the controller. The e series adaptors run about $125.00 each for me.
Yeah I just checked and they are certified... so I would agree with ya that the scorpion diablo is. But I still feel other than that light in sheer performance including spread, efficacy and quality of the builds gavita 1700e beats the other HLGs. I run an HLG and love it but the height limitations have me looking to a strip light or that particular HLG. Honestly I think for a single light I would pick the HLG bit only that model.... and that's only based on my grow requirements aka very height limited. Not the case for everyone

sshz

sshz

One point not covered but a main selling point with the Gavita's is............ they have over 3400 diodes, this was done because they don't have to max out the drivers and over push the diodes which reduces their life. The Gavita's were a 2019 model I believe, I'm sure each year some company will keep slightly improving the numbers year after year.

In 6 months, we'll be having this discussion again with a few new models. Once you are able to get passed the 3 lb per light threshold, it's all gravy no matter whose light you use.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

One point not covered but a main selling point with the Gavita's is............ they have over 3300 diodes, this was done because they don't have to max out the drivers and over push the diodes which reduces their life. The Gavita's were a 2019 model I believe, I'm sure each year some company will keep slightly improving the numbers year after year.

In 6 months, we'll be having this discussion again with a few new models. Once you are able to get passed the 3 lb per light threshold, it's all gravy no matter whose light you use.
Absolutely agree that is a huge factor. The scorpion diablo has 3888 diodes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think the Gavita is around 3460.........
Both impressive as hell... and your right about the battle... this HLG is newer than the gavita and gavita will likely respond... like you say beyond this point its almost gonna be bragging rights because both will produce very close to as good as it gets in thier current state. The next battles will be spectral in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with either of these and the tech is far enough along you won't be pissed off in 2 yrs. Things are gonna start slowing down now and more gimmicky will be about. The cheapos will knock off and start producing these also.

Now let the battle of spectrums begin lol.

Anthem

Anthem

Both impressive as hell... and your right about the battle... this HLG is newer than the gavita and gavita will likely respond... like you say beyond this point its almost gonna be bragging rights because both will produce very close to as good as it gets in thier current state. The next battles will be spectral in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with either of these and the tech is far enough along you won't be pissed off in 2 yrs. Things are gonna start slowing down now and more gimmicky will be about. The cheapos will knock off and start producing these also.

The cheapos have already started to copy their lights. The Growers Choice ROI-680 is a knock off of the last version of Fluence and Gavita. As mentioned above, it looks like the Growers Choice, Luxx and Lumitek are all manufacturered in the same factory. Funny thing is Luxx just started making lights a year or 18 months ago so their commitment to the technology and R&D is minimal.

beluga

beluga

New BXEB Thrive series... just sayin'.
I know everyone's about their lm301s, but.. I think there's some considerable competition there.

I'm genuinely curious now about building a few fixtures for some of you veterans to try out.
If they test out, I might just run with it to the market...
Shit's like grown-up Legos for me. I could do it all day.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

New BXEB Thrive series... just sayin'.
I know everyone's about their lm301s, but.. I think there's some considerable competition there.

I'm genuinely curious now about building a few fixtures for some of you veterans to try out.
If they test out, I might just run with it to the market...
Shit's like grown-up Legos for me. I could do it all day.
Yeah at this point LED is in a good place. The difference will be the efficacy. When using a shit ton of diodes it makes a big difference between 2.0 and 2.9. But makes no difference to the plants as long as the spread is good and spectrums are adequate. Just means less watts needed to achieve it so you get power savings and less heat produced per watt which can be good or bad depending on your environment. But for the cost savings many will not mind a lower efficacy and a but more heat over the sticker shock

sshz

sshz

No matter the light, you better be a decent or better grower to pull out everything the light has to offer. I'm imagining many newer growers will jump into these LED's with disappointing results because they don't have the skills yet to maximize the lights.......

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
No matter the light, you better be a decent or better grower to pull out everything the light has to offer. I'm imagining many newer growers will jump into these LED's with disappointing results because they don't have the skills yet to maximize the lights.......
+1
Been waiting months for someone to say this. Thank you. I grow with some cheap Chinese lights and cobs. No disappointment here. Lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Couldn't be more true... infact can hinder a grower if they don't have things dialed in. The more light the more demand on the plants, nutrient ratios, environmental factors etc all need to be on point or it won't be a fun ride. Things are much more forgiving under lower light

Latest posts

Top Bottom