Best Utilization Of Space?

• Thread starter Trucker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trucker

Trucker

I am new to growing so just have been doing a ton of reading so far.
Where I plan on setting up my grow space is in my basement. The space I'm using is 12'×12'×6.5' in height. The basement is a total of 24'×36' divided in half. I'm setting up in the partially finished side. The other side is mainly storage and all the mechanicals of the house.
I'm trying to decide if it is more benificial to build my space versus just tents so it can be customized more as I discover the style I like to grow. If I use tents I definitely need to vent but if I build and don't over crowd I may be able to go without fans for exhaust at least I think that would be the case.
I am still in a toss up on which lighting to use wether it be led or hid. I have had information overload lol. But I have been somewhat leaning towards hid due to so many stating higher yields with denser buds.
I am about 3 weeks away from starting to order components so trying to get a good plan laid out before then.
I am planning on starting with strains of ak48, sour diesel and harlequin if that would determine any of the things I would need to setup for those particular strains.
My plan is to go with an organic soil such as Dr Earth or something similar.
Any suggestions tips and advice would be greatly appreciated like I said I am completely new at farming of any type. Thanks in advance.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You will need an exhaust and an intake fan for that size room, even cfls put off enough heat to over heat a sealed room

Trucker

Trucker

I'm thinking I will divide the space into 2 rooms each being 6'×12' to utilize one as a flowering room and the other for veg, clones and seedlings.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I am new to growing so just have been doing a ton of reading so far.
Where I plan on setting up my grow space is in my basement. The space I'm using is 12'×12'×6.5' in height. The basement is a total of 24'×36' divided in half. I'm setting up in the partially finished side. The other side is mainly storage and all the mechanicals of the house.
I'm trying to decide if it is more benificial to build my space versus just tents so it can be customized more as I discover the style I like to grow. If I use tents I definitely need to vent but if I build and don't over crowd I may be able to go without fans for exhaust at least I think that would be the case.
I am still in a toss up on which lighting to use wether it be led or hid. I have had information overload lol. But I have been somewhat leaning towards hid due to so many stating higher yields with denser buds.
I am about 3 weeks away from starting to order components so trying to get a good plan laid out before then.
I am planning on starting with strains of ak48, sour diesel and harlequin if that would determine any of the things I would need to setup for those particular strains.
My plan is to go with an organic soil such as Dr Earth or something similar.
Any suggestions tips and advice would be greatly appreciated like I said I am completely new at farming of any type. Thanks in advance.
I used Dr. Earth for my seedlings. Very nice soil, but no NPK, good for new seed but be ready to give light nutes after a week or so.

Trucker

Trucker

I used Dr. Earth for my seedlings. Very nice soil, but no NPK, good for new seed but be ready to give light nutes after a week or so.
Thanks for the heads up on Dr Earth I appreciate it. I'm just wanting to use something that is a good organic and I'm not wanting to use a ton of different nutes and such. Trying to keep it simple if I can :)

BudBogart

BudBogart

Thanks for the heads up on Dr Earth I appreciate it. I'm just wanting to use something that is a good organic and I'm not wanting to use a ton of different nutes and such. Trying to keep it simple if I can :)
Sure. I'm not putting dr earth down at all. I'll use it again. At a minimum I will use an organic fert NPK higher in N for vegging and another organic fert higher in P for flowering.

Trucker

Trucker

Sure. I'm not putting dr earth down at all. I'll use it again. At a minimum I will use an organic fert NPK higher in N for vegging and another organic fert higher in P for flowering.
Are there any other organic soils you would suggest besides Dr Earth? I haven't bought any yet so looking at my options and what would be best for my minimal amounts of additional nutes throughout the process. I just don't want to be one of the ones using 10 different nutes and all. Not putting anyone down at all for that just not how I'm wanting to grow personally.
Thanks

BudBogart

BudBogart

I wifi have to let others advise on other soils, but wanted to share my recent exp. with d earth. Home Depot also sells Black Magic bagged soil. I have read good things about it.
Are you going to sprout seeds or using clones.
Do you plan on sprouting seeds then transplanting or just put seed in final pot?
As to lighting, if you want to stay away from exhaust fans, LED would be my hands down choice. They make some state of the art plant growing LEDs. But, I am a outside dirt farmer just now considering the fun of a perpetual grow op, so really out of my league here.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Re exhaust fans. Please keep in mind that if you are even moderately successful in a grow that this stuff is going to reek.
It will probably permeate through the floors and noticeable upstairs. I dry our canna in a bedroom with the door kept shut. You can smell that beautiful aroma as you walk in the front door.
Like you, I would rather avoid a tent but I don't have a basement. The garage and barn don't get 12 hours of dark so I either need to build an enclosed room or obtain a shed to get the dark needed.

THCdurk

THCdurk

Like @3N1GM4 Saif ventilation and fans a must. I'd just build the basement how you want it, are you renting? If you don't mind me asking cause then you have to be careful about what you do man. Just saying. But for some simple nutrients a powder nute for veg and bloom, it's called hydroponic research veg+bloom super simple can use start to finish and you get great results. But if using a hid (which is a good idea for all the space) you'll Def need fans it's gonna eT hotter than a Bitch down there pimppp

Trucker

Trucker

I wifi have to let others advise on other soils, but wanted to share my recent exp. with d earth. Home Depot also sells Black Magic bagged soil. I have read good things about it.
Are you going to sprout seeds or using clones.
Do you plan on sprouting seeds then transplanting or just put seed in final pot?
As to lighting, if you want to stay away from exhaust fans, LED would be my hands down choice. They make some state of the art plant growing LEDs. But, I am a outside dirt farmer just now considering the fun of a perpetual grow op, so really out of my league here.
Thanks for the tips. I plan on starting with seeds then transplanting. If I end up getting something nice going on my first grow I will try cloning them but will see how it goes.
Thanks

Trucker

Trucker

Re exhaust fans. Please keep in mind that if you are even moderately successful in a grow that this stuff is going to reek.
It will probably permeate through the floors and noticeable upstairs. I dry our canna in a bedroom with the door kept shut. You can smell that beautiful aroma as you walk in the front door.
Like you, I would rather avoid a tent but I don't have a basement. The garage and barn don't get 12 hours of dark so I either need to build an enclosed room or obtain a shed to get the dark needed.
What I'm planning is to start my first grow on the flowering side so that will give me a little more time and money to set up the other room.
What I'm thinking about doing is installing a carbon scrubber in the flower room and exhausting it into the other side of the basement. The veg and seedling room I'm thinking I may be able to just utilize the exhaust fan currently in there. It use to be a bathroom so will have to see how that works.
Thanks

BudBogart

BudBogart

What I'm planning is to start my first grow on the flowering side so that will give me a little more time and money to set up the other room.
What I'm thinking about doing is installing a carbon scrubber in the flower room and exhausting it into the other side of the basement. The veg and seedling room I'm thinking I may be able to just utilize the exhaust fan currently in there. It use to be a bathroom so will have to see how that works.
Thanks
Seems to be a good plan. I will watch and learn!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You could make your flower room a little bigger than the veg room, you dont need as much room for veg. You could fill two flower rooms with an equal size veg room.

Trucker

Trucker

You could make your flower room a little bigger than the veg room, you dont need as much room for veg. You could fill two flower rooms with an equal size veg room.
Yeah I have been thinking about that as well. Originally I was going to remove the bathroom walls to make two even size spaces but have since decided to leave them as is which makes the flower room 8'×12' and the veg, clone and seedling room 4'6"×8'. Thanks for your advice @3N1GM4

Trucker

Trucker

Ok I think I'm leaning towards led lights for my rooms. My question is will it be better to get as an example a galaxyhydro 600 watt versus 2 galaxyhydro 300 watt lights? What would be the pros and cons one way or the other?
Thanks

Top Bottom