Best Vape Pen

• Thread starter Bulldog11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TeZa

TeZa

I'm really hoping someone can help.
I am trying to make a smokeable vape pen juice using bho shatter.
So far I have tried:
Pure shatter (propane extracted original og, 1g) melted with propylene glycol (75%) and glycerine (25%) at 120°f stirring for 30 mins.
There was a clumping issue and it looked like wax clumps and how water and oil would, very beadie and inconsistant. I threw it away.
Then I decided I needed to make the shatter more soluble and got some ever clear 190 proof grain alcohol, mixing about 1ml with 1 gram. I left it overnight and it thinned out the oil perfectly needing only a couple of stirs to look like liquid gold. I double boiled it to 184°f, which is where alcohol burns off and let it get down to a this clear yellow liquid which starts to get very sticky like gelatine.
In 3 glass containers I again did a mix of mainly propylene and a squirt of glycerine same heat and process. This seemed to be the best result but the glycerin still didn't mix right and separated once it was in the cartridge, becoming to thick almost to smoke by the 3rd day. It tasted pretty nice but had that throat hit and a very faint alcohol residue left.

I then did one alcohol/shatter mix (1g/1ml), heated off most of the alcohol, mixing with just propylene glycol and one with the glycerine alone and brought them both up to 178°f (stirring) for 10 mins and let cool.
The glycerin completely separated and left the shatter as an oil floating on top. I poured that out, put the remains on parchment and consider it something I may use in a lotion and unsmokeable..
The propylene mixed well as expected but became way to gooey. I thought adding a little bit of water would thin it out but I was wrong. It turned into a milky look, with the shatter liquid floating and impossible to mix together again.

I'm going through a lot of good shatter making all of these trials and errors. I have 2 friends who are living with cancer waiting for me on top of my own pain needs. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like I'm closer using the ever clear than I was with out, just maybe missing a step or more? If you have experience with this please let me know! I have pictures of my processes as well I can share to show you guys. Shoud also mention I am using food grade everything and the glycerine is derived from palm oil.
:party1::drunk2:

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'm really hoping someone can help.
I am trying to make a smokeable vape pen juice using bho shatter.
So far I have tried:
Pure shatter (propane extracted original og, 1g) melted with propylene glycol (75%) and glycerine (25%) at 120°f stirring for 30 mins.
There was a clumping issue and it looked like wax clumps and how water and oil would, very beadie and inconsistant. I threw it away.
Then I decided I needed to make the shatter more soluble and got some ever clear 190 proof grain alcohol, mixing about 1ml with 1 gram. I left it overnight and it thinned out the oil perfectly needing only a couple of stirs to look like liquid gold. I double boiled it to 184°f, which is where alcohol burns off and let it get down to a this clear yellow liquid which starts to get very sticky like gelatine.
In 3 glass containers I again did a mix of mainly propylene and a squirt of glycerine same heat and process. This seemed to be the best result but the glycerin still didn't mix right and separated once it was in the cartridge, becoming to thick almost to smoke by the 3rd day. It tasted pretty nice but had that throat hit and a very faint alcohol residue left.

I then did one alcohol/shatter mix (1g/1ml), heated off most of the alcohol, mixing with just propylene glycol and one with the glycerine alone and brought them both up to 178°f (stirring) for 10 mins and let cool.
The glycerin completely separated and left the shatter as an oil floating on top. I poured that out, put the remains on parchment and consider it something I may use in a lotion and unsmokeable..
The propylene mixed well as expected but became way to gooey. I thought adding a little bit of water would thin it out but I was wrong. It turned into a milky look, with the shatter liquid floating and impossible to mix together again.

I'm going through a lot of good shatter making all of these trials and errors. I have 2 friends who are living with cancer waiting for me on top of my own pain needs. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like I'm closer using the ever clear than I was with out, just maybe missing a step or more? If you have experience with this please let me know! I have pictures of my processes as well I can share to show you guys. Shoud also mention I am using food grade everything and the glycerine is derived from palm oil.
:party1::drunk2:

I prefer using a strictly concentrate pen. The puffco + is my favorite as of right now. Gives good clean hits.
20161128 144232

You just drop your dab of oil in the ceramic coil less chamber and your good to go.
20161128 144305

The mouthpiece has a built in dabber tool to collect oil on the go.
20161128 144213

20161128 144156

I personally don't spend time refining my concentrates just to later mix them with other things.

If your friends are going to be vaping concentrate. Then I suggest they get get vape pens that are concentrate specific.

TeZa

TeZa

thank you for replying but that's not what I'm looking for. I need an atomizer for less smoke more clean medicine..

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

the 26650 is a monster for sure! I was going to buy the smaller unit, already started paying, then noticed the bigger one. I asked the guy, "does this model hit better?" and he said 2x better. Sold me on the spot.

So @tobh have you ever smoked oil without your nicotine liquid? I don't really want to use the liquid, and was hoping I could take direct hits. Anybody else know if you need nicotine oil and/or cotton?
In my experience, the kids at the vape shops will absolutely sell you just to make the sale. Other vape shops will absolutely not talk about vaping medical oils and will direct you to the pot shops. My issue here is that the product knowledge of the kids at the dispo's is nowhere close to the knowledge that could be gleaned at the vape shops with the kiddies. Like you, I have zero desire to create large clouds of vapor. I am not convinced that cutting agents are safe when combusted. Also, I think the vape shops downplay the potential health risks associated with cutting agents being discussed. I don't give a shit if vegetable glycerin or PG is safe to consume, I want to know what happens when it's combusted.

You would be better served asking what type of pen to use for honey-like consistencies with your oil. Ejuice is liquid because it has so much cutting agents and other crap. I'm not shitting on ejuice it's just not my thing. Locally, Innovapor carries concentrate pens. I've had some luck with the Kiln, but it doesn't hold much, is designed for wax and I want to load more than a bb sized portion. It also takes ten seconds to get hot, which I don't like. If you stick with the cotton, then I think it will be fine short term, but I've gone through 8 different brands of cartridges or tanks, and I have yet to find one that works well for oil and oil only. I'm not sure what happens but after a short while there are no big hits to be had. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the oil not being able to penetrate through the cotton to get to the atomizer. I got tired of trying to get 1-2 grams of concentrate back out of a tank that doesn't pull well enough. I've tried using golden barn or other oils that claim to be free of cutting agents, mixing it with open juice that is 70% PG, and that works for a bit, but still adds a cutting agent.

@Moltis is right here, those concentrate pens are the best option. Skip the cotton and go for dual quartz. They burn hot and fast and will make your head spin. Be careful, the hole is in the bottom, so if you are dabbing oil, or especially live resin or sift or sugar, if it melts it will spill through the bottom into the threads of the battery. Some mods aren't sealed at this point so melting oil could drop into the battery. For me, it's a slim line to walk to load enough for a session but finish it enough so it doesn't melt down. I figured top fill tanks would solve this problem but most tanks use cotton, not dual quartz. I can't speak to mods other than I think they are a bit much for oil. Innovape has coils and pens for about $30, which is good because when they do crap out they are easily replaced. I also like to travel with them because they are easy to ditch. I don't like to take my tank with me out of state because I've got three grams of oil that I am not taking out, and having a smaller travel tank is also a pain. The thinner the oil the more cutting agent, which is not ideal for me. The thicker the oil the less chance it has to completely soak and make the atomizer efficient. The vape pens solve this problem.

I've tried the distillate cartridges from CSC and from FLO, and distillate syringe by CSC and distillate in container by FLO. These are 95-99% THC. They are like jelly, they don't move. They are nice to dab with because you can use the glass syringe, but be careful when it's full, the syringe plunger is glass too and breaks easily because the distillate is so thick. The syringes have worked very well for me with zero problems other than if you leave the cartridge in the battery, you leave the valve open and it can clog, which is easily resolved by holding the button and clearing/melting the buildup. I don't get monster clouds with these distillate cartidges but with their potency they are as close to a one hit quit I can find, which is paramount for my needs. The biggest thing I noticed is that there are more holes through the FLO and CSC cartridges than other ejuice tanks.

I've never had any luck using cartridges for my own use. They break or leak, and the good ones like goldenbarn, FLO or CSC are single use only, they can't be refilled. I prefer to buy larger amounts of oil and use my own gear than buy cartridges, but for me, a half gram of distillate in a cartridge that costs $30 and lasts me a week is about as good as it gets.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
In my experience, the kids at the vape shops will absolutely sell you just to make the sale. Other vape shops will absolutely not talk about vaping medical oils and will direct you to the pot shops. My issue here is that the product knowledge of the kids at the dispo's is nowhere close to the knowledge that could be gleaned at the vape shops with the kiddies. Like you, I have zero desire to create large clouds of vapor. I am not convinced that cutting agents are safe when combusted. Also, I think the vape shops downplay the potential health risks associated with cutting agents being discussed. I don't give a shit if vegetable glycerin or PG is safe to consume, I want to know what happens when it's combusted.

You would be better served asking what type of pen to use for honey-like consistencies with your oil. Ejuice is liquid because it has so much cutting agents and other crap. I'm not shitting on ejuice it's just not my thing. Locally, Innovapor carries concentrate pens. I've had some luck with the Kiln, but it doesn't hold much, is designed for wax and I want to load more than a bb sized portion. It also takes ten seconds to get hot, which I don't like. If you stick with the cotton, then I think it will be fine short term, but I've gone through 8 different brands of cartridges or tanks, and I have yet to find one that works well for oil and oil only. I'm not sure what happens but after a short while there are no big hits to be had. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the oil not being able to penetrate through the cotton to get to the atomizer. I got tired of trying to get 1-2 grams of concentrate back out of a tank that doesn't pull well enough. I've tried using golden barn or other oils that claim to be free of cutting agents, mixing it with open juice that is 70% PG, and that works for a bit, but still adds a cutting agent.

@Moltis is right here, those concentrate pens are the best option. Skip the cotton and go for dual quartz. They burn hot and fast and will make your head spin. Be careful, the hole is in the bottom, so if you are dabbing oil, or especially live resin or sift or sugar, if it melts it will spill through the bottom into the threads of the battery. Some mods aren't sealed at this point so melting oil could drop into the battery. For me, it's a slim line to walk to load enough for a session but finish it enough so it doesn't melt down. I figured top fill tanks would solve this problem but most tanks use cotton, not dual quartz. I can't speak to mods other than I think they are a bit much for oil. Innovape has coils and pens for about $30, which is good because when they do crap out they are easily replaced. I also like to travel with them because they are easy to ditch. I don't like to take my tank with me out of state because I've got three grams of oil that I am not taking out, and having a smaller travel tank is also a pain. The thinner the oil the more cutting agent, which is not ideal for me. The thicker the oil the less chance it has to completely soak and make the atomizer efficient. The vape pens solve this problem.

I've tried the distillate cartridges from CSC and from FLO, and distillate syringe by CSC and distillate in container by FLO. These are 95-99% THC. They are like jelly, they don't move. They are nice to dab with because you can use the glass syringe, but be careful when it's full, the syringe plunger is glass too and breaks easily because the distillate is so thick. The syringes have worked very well for me with zero problems other than if you leave the cartridge in the battery, you leave the valve open and it can clog, which is easily resolved by holding the button and clearing/melting the buildup. I don't get monster clouds with these distillate cartidges but with their potency they are as close to a one hit quit I can find, which is paramount for my needs. The biggest thing I noticed is that there are more holes through the FLO and CSC cartridges than other ejuice tanks.

I've never had any luck using cartridges for my own use. They break or leak, and the good ones like goldenbarn, FLO or CSC are single use only, they can't be refilled. I prefer to buy larger amounts of oil and use my own gear than buy cartridges, but for me, a half gram of distillate in a cartridge that costs $30 and lasts me a week is about as good as it gets.

Well said.
Many good points touched on.

Mainly.

Don't smoke oil with extra things added to it.

Vape the purest form possible of oil.

Use a pen designed exactly for what you want. Which is pure oil vapor for its medicinal value.

Throw away your ejuice pens.
And start enjoying a nice concentrate pen.

20170210 045256

I've been using my puffco + a lot lately. I just find it so convenient. Driving, walking, sitting in the movies, riding in a friend's car, in the store.

It's just so damn portable and convenient. It blends in with the crowd of nicotine vapor users. So people don't even suspect your getting high.

And since it's concentrate it packs a punch.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

@rmoltis have you burned out your coil yet? I am still on the fence about puffco but am coming around. My yocan torch has lasted a long time but I imagine it needs a regular cleaning and I can notice a decreased draw after a while.

@GrowGod I have decided I am not impressed with Pax Era Pods, or I need more experience and more pods. As far as I know there is one flower supply for Pax Pods[citation needed]. The first pod I bought was sour diesel, which was fantastic and looked and burned like live resin, leaving a bit in the pod that wasn't close enough to the wick/element. The second pod I got was pre '98, same location, and it looks completely saturated with PG. I can see a clear film on top, so there is enough PG in it that it separated. I hiked yesterday, no altitude issues with anything, but an afternoon in my pocket and this pod now looks like cloudy CO2 oil. They do get some extra credit for their phone app which you can use to change the temperature of the vaporizer, which is actually really nice. It also has stupid games and is ludicrously difficult and almost impossible to change or verify the temperature you are vaping at without the phone app. Bottom line is that it's okay if you can find a deal, and the pods are fine as long as you don't care or can see and ensure there is as little PG as possible. I'm sure it varies from strain to strain but I take issue with the fact that they claim it's clean and safe and don't mention Propylene glycol except on the label.

Tru Cannabis had a great deal on CSC cartridges, but I have had 5 of 15 fail. A pain because I have to take them back to the shop, and they can't accept returns, and I can't try them before I buy them to ensure they work. The other issue I have with CSC and FLO cartridges is that they can't be opened, refilled or reused. Evolabs black cartridges for their Alchemy and Chroma are refillable, and I think they have much better coils for that reason. It makes sense to me that CSC uses lesser quality coils/atomizers if they are designed for single use. The ability to refill a cartridge changes the game entirely in my book. Goodmeds has been good to me as well.

Pig n whistle was selling craft cartridges for $15 out the door a week ago, none of them have blown out on me yet, but they are o.pen quality plastic.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I bought the elcheapo Refillable pens from BDT. 5 of 15 wouldn't fire. 3 leaked. Glad I only paid 5.00 each.

Wish I could find a quality refill pen for my patients.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
@rmoltis have you burned out your coil yet? I am still on the fence about puffco but am coming around. My yocan torch has lasted a long time but I imagine it needs a regular cleaning and I can notice a decreased draw after a while.

@GrowGod I have decided I am not impressed with Pax Era Pods, or I need more experience and more pods. As far as I know there is one flower supply for Pax Pods[citation needed]. The first pod I bought was sour diesel, which was fantastic and looked and burned like live resin, leaving a bit in the pod that wasn't close enough to the wick/element. The second pod I got was pre '98, same location, and it looks completely saturated with PG. I can see a clear film on top, so there is enough PG in it that it separated. I hiked yesterday, no altitude issues with anything, but an afternoon in my pocket and this pod now looks like cloudy CO2 oil. They do get some extra credit for their phone app which you can use to change the temperature of the vaporizer, which is actually really nice. It also has stupid games and is ludicrously difficult and almost impossible to change or verify the temperature you are vaping at without the phone app. Bottom line is that it's okay if you can find a deal, and the pods are fine as long as you don't care or can see and ensure there is as little PG as possible. I'm sure it varies from strain to strain but I take issue with the fact that they claim it's clean and safe and don't mention Propylene glycol except on the label.

Tru Cannabis had a great deal on CSC cartridges, but I have had 5 of 15 fail. A pain because I have to take them back to the shop, and they can't accept returns, and I can't try them before I buy them to ensure they work. The other issue I have with CSC and FLO cartridges is that they can't be opened, refilled or reused. Evolabs black cartridges for their Alchemy and Chroma are refillable, and I think they have much better coils for that reason. It makes sense to me that CSC uses lesser quality coils/atomizers if they are designed for single use. The ability to refill a cartridge changes the game entirely in my book. Goodmeds has been good to me as well.

Pig n whistle was selling craft cartridges for $15 out the door a week ago, none of them have blown out on me yet, but they are o.pen quality plastic.
I honestly have no interest in them till I am ready to get back on a plane. Gonna be at least a year.:smoking:
I've put the enail away as well, dispensary's are never honest with there product,every batch is the best one everytime.
I've had a few nice batches in a row now and I enjoy just smoking my green, especially joints. The high is cleaner last longer doesn't give me a headache.
Don't get me wrong a lot of the product I've gotten was really good, but it's up and down

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter

It is still going good.
It is coil less so I'm hoping it lasts longer.

Keep in mind it doesn't get used heavy duty like. I only use it for trips away from home. And I clean it between each 1-2 uses for best flavor and efficiency.

It comes with 1 extra chamber.
I run it on it's lowest setting so it never burns my oil. I think this helps the life of the convection chamber.

I really enjoy the puffco.

It is a great portable concentrate vape pen. It will use any kind of cannabis concentrate. I'm very pleased with it. I'm always happy in public when it is in my pocket :)

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Ive tried many many portable wax vaporizers and they all taste like crap sooner or later except the portable enail kind. Ive owned several atlas kilns and like all the ceramic donut atomizers they get clogged and they only taste good for a week or two then its straight burnt resin taste. The portable enails are huge and you might as well just bring the bubbler torch and nail. How do the ones you guys are discussing taste after being used a few times, do they have open coils? I hate that burnt metal taste you get from open coils without ceramic.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Dunno bout all dat...
Roll me another one..
Just like the other one...
now a days folks really know how to roll a nice cone dube with the thingie in the end.
I have been doing that for long before it caught on. Learned that in Egypt
But they now got the premade dealies for the end thingie and it makes it pretty easy to roll a nice cone dube..
Banner day Some of the best fishing this year by far......
Till I broke rod....$470.00 new lifetime warranty, 20 bucks get repaired or replaced

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Ive tried many many portable wax vaporizers and they all taste like crap sooner or later except the portable enail kind. Ive owned several atlas kilns and like all the ceramic donut atomizers they get clogged and they only taste good for a week or two then its straight burnt resin taste. The portable enails are huge and you might as well just bring the bubbler torch and nail. How do the ones you guys are discussing taste after being used a few times, do they have open coils? I hate that burnt metal taste you get from open coils without ceramic.
Yocan's torch/ portable enail is tiny, and rugged. I've stuck the male into the end of a spoon pipe when a waterpipe wasn't available and got my vape on. The battery lasts a long time, and so do the coils, dual quartz. I'm not sold on ceramic coils, quartz for me, they burn hot and aren't porous. I'm familiar with the burnt metal taste but I only get that when there isn't any concentrate left. Cotton wicks burn out and quartz and ceramic are durable enough to burn off the smegma. I'm sure if I left a bit in the coils after every session it would eventually taste bad, but I am pretty efficient.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I was looking at the new yocan thor and other nano tech vaporizers and I think I might pop on one next.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Dunno bout all dat...
Roll me another one..
Just like the other one...
now a days folks really know how to roll a nice cone dube with the thingie in the end.
I have been doing that for long before it caught on. Learned that in Egypt
But they now got the premade dealies for the end thingie and it makes it pretty easy to roll a nice cone dube..
Banner day Some of the best fishing this year by far......
Till I broke rod....$470.00 new lifetime warranty, 20 bucks get repaired or replaced
End thingie? It's called a crutch...:smoking:

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I was looking at the new yocan thor and other nano tech vaporizers and I think I might pop on one next.
Other than college freshman marketing, I agree. I have had zero problems other than finding local head shops with replacement or extra parts. They don't show it but their products come with a silicon sleeve that fits over the part that attaches to the water pipe, it ensures a smooth connection with no place for air to escape.

The biggest draw for me with these is the lack of a hot nail laying around, and the lack of cords for pets and for stumbling stoners. I don't care to have concentrate nail-shaped burns in the hardwood from knocking shit over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom