Best way to cure

• Thread starter dannyk892009
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dannyk892009

dannyk892009

Looking for a couple different methods for personal trial and error. Anybody feel free to share your method of curing. please

S

socalsinner

I cure in a airtight dog food container. Their plastic containers to keep dog food fresh. I open up 6 times a day for 5 mins , then go to 5 times, 4 times etc for usually 7-12 days. Let the buds air out a little . You will smell the reward.

B

boxturtle

I like to put some dry ice in a coffie can put a rag on top of that put my buds on that poke some holes in the lid and let it sit in the freeser untill the dry ice is melted usualy takes a day.

L

lurch

BT that doesnt lock in the chlorophyll taste? never heard of this method.

R

Rolln J

i remember back in the day when we were kids people used to say if you dried your weed with dry ice it would be more potent - never tried it though...

fractaLz

fractaLz

Check seventhchild's link. Hanging and curing the entire plant is the ONLY way to go IMO

U

ukcheeseman

drying rack for 8days in the dark at room temp then into jars 4 a day then let out for hour or 2 then bk into jars to store

B

boxturtle

The dry ice method does leave behind some of the chlorophyll. It gives the bud a little bit more mint flavor. Works best if using for storage in a freezer, or quick tasting if your impatient for a traditional dry and cure, because after one takes them out of the freezer the potency drops.

L

lurch

BT thanks for your explaination, but storing bud in the freezer isnt a good idea as the trichs freeze they burst &/or are made to fall off your bud. potency drops when you take em out of freezer? then why would you ever want to do this approach?......leaves room scratching head

B

boxturtle

I have heard talk of wrapping flowers in newspaper, putting the newspaper into big brown shopping bags and setting them in the shade any one heard of this? More info on pros and cons would be nice.:character0103:

S

SweetIndica2

DJ Short's Method looks great, i never was that great at drying and curing and that Method seems like it will really help me improve the taste, smell and quality of my bud a little.

The method i used to use was cutting the plant at the stem, then cutting the flowers into seperate buds, then trimming it all thoroughly, drying it in a paper bag and then putting it in jars. I would end up with some buds that were too crispy on the outside because i didn't leave the leaves on and hang the whole plant by itself.

B

bicycle racer

i use the same method as you its hit or miss that way as sometimes it dries too fast other times comes out perfect it all has to do with temp humidity and total dry time.

Blaze

Blaze

My method is similar to DJ's but I do not agree with leaving ALL the leaves on - this makes it come out smelling like hay.

I remove any large exterior fan leaves and hang for 5-7 days. Once the buds are dry enough to hold their shape and not get crushed under their own weight I break it down into individual buds, place in a paper bag, and fold the top over. This will slow it down a bit to you can watch it towards the end. How long I leave it in the bag depends on the temp/humidity/weather and the size and density of the bud. Usually it stays in the bag for another week or so but this can vary a lot. A long slow dry will produce better flavor and smoother smoke. Once it is dry enough it can be stored in an air tight container. Check it after a few days to make sure the moisture level is correct as any moisture in the stems and the core of the bud will have evened out at this point. Don't store it too wet or the flavor will start to deteriorate, it will get harsh, and it will start to brown and yellow a bit. I've noticed storing it wetter helps keep the smell stronger, but makes the smoke less pleasant so I tend to get mine a bit drier than most people do.

The whole checking it 4 times a day, "burping" it, etc is totally unnecessary in my opinion and a waste of time. After it sits in your jar or whatever you stored it in for a few weeks it should be good to go. Generally I figure it will take 4-6 weeks AFTER the plant is harvested to get a good dry and cure on it. Most people are not this patient though.

hotRod

hotRod

I like using glass canning jars.
-the jars seal and reseal for several sweats
-the jars are also great for pieces that drop

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I have tried few methods, and in general find doing it dj short way usually ends up with taste that is not as nice as when cut into seperate branches and trim most of the leaves. like Blaze usually end up with grassier (clorophyl) taste when drying the whole plant with all the leaves on.

if you dont mind buds getting flat on one side then racks are just as good as hanging.

i think paper bags depend on how the initial dry go. ideal is an even dry, but often outside will get way dry before inside is ready. paper bags will help bring the moisture from the inside out. sometimes i will got to paper bags and then back to racks. sometimes i can go straight from initial drying to glass jars.

obviously other people have great success with drying the whole plant.

dry ice sounds like bad idea. also dont bury your herb underground. i think there was a rumor in the 70 and 80s that if you burried it then it would be more potent. actually can cause a fungus that can be deadly.

for quick dry try hanging a little right in front of a fan and it should be smokable in a day or two.

JB

C

cheef

wow its so many diffrent methods to drying and curing i thought u cut the plant at stem trim the leaves hang them upside down so all the nutrients could go down the stem back into the bud do that for a week then cut them into indivisual buds into a glass tight jar for another week then you good to go the longer the better of course if im wrong please lead a blind man the right way

Top Bottom