Best way to get of an ant colony?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

We're using a droplet ant killer and diatmous(sp) earth.but there headquarters are next door. I want to do something when there out.

any suggestions?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fire.

Edit*

Just kidding. But only partly. Have you tried the boron+sugar thing? IME, DE doesn't do shit except make 'em look like they've been playing with flour.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I use peppermint oil to keep ants out of our house and garden. A little spray on the ground near their HQ an across all thresholds and access areas o the house. Works for me.

Cort

Cort

Baits work best IMHO.

Those are granules of poison they take home and feed to all the ones underground, like the queen. There are some jell based baits for places like under the counter or granular ones you sprinkle around the holes outdoors.

Keeping them out is well and good, but getting rid of them totally is my answer. Pretty nasty stuff but before epa outlawed Diazinon for residential use we were always ant free.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

We have killer ant problems here in the desert and granuals are the only thing that works. takes a little time but the large ant hills I had are gone. We get a few little ones but I hit them as well.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
sea i think you mean boric acid. mix with sugar and keep dry the ants will take it home. least toxic in my opinion. it will take a week though
We add water and let indoor ants drink that from a cotton ball..they don't come back..
Outside, if they get too close to where I'm working....I pour Gasoline down their hole.
Yes Seamaiden, and sometimes I light it..lmao

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I bought some borax yesterday, and plan on making a mix with some sugar. I have a HORRIBLE ant problem right now and it's got me beyond scared cause I know they farm RA's.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I bought some borax yesterday, and plan on making a mix with some sugar. I have a HORRIBLE ant problem right now and it's got me beyond scared cause I know they farm RA's.
Really?
I have seen ants farming leaf Aphids on My own plants...but they stayed on one plant.
On just a few leaves really..
I dont even know how to spot root aphids:confused:

Natural

Natural

CK wants to go nagasaki on them bitches...lol!
I was thinking to pour about a gallon of vinegar in the nest. I hear cornmeal and either grits or cream of wheat granules(can't remember) makes them explode after eating it.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Really?
I have seen ants farming leaf Aphids on My own plants...but they stayed on one plant.

Yeah, I can't say that I have ever seen them farming RA's....but I have read a lot about it happening. I use Caps bene's, and can't say that I have seen any RA activity, but just seeing Ants in the growroom sets me on edge.

drbombay

drbombay

i had them farming root aphids in the green house this spring. lost the brassicae. caught it before fliers. lost the spinach to crown mites. glad for outdoors. i just reread this from the start. you don't have to tresspass. ants mark a trail chemically you can follow place the bait along the trail the ants will mark as food/water and transport to the neighbors.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If in Brassicas, wouldn't they be cabbage aphids, Dr? I had cabbage aphids last year and they taught me that I'll let other organic farmers grow my Brassicas for me. It was just INSANE.
Yep, they sure in fuck DO.
Really?
They look like fungus gnats on steroids. The flyers do, at least.
Yeah, I can't say that I have ever seen them farming RA's....but I have read a lot about it happening. I use Caps bene's, and can't say that I have seen any RA activity, but just seeing Ants in the growroom sets me on edge.
I have seen them farming RAs and I think that's how I was introduced to my first infestation. Outside, pure perlite hempy tubs, I saw ants going in and out of the tubs along with these super-gnats. Et voila.

We have many different species of ants here, so it's not a one-size-fits-all kind of solution. The most problematic are the all-black ants that invade the animal feed and eat the styrofoam that our home has been clad with under the stucco. I see little 'polillos' (the only thing I know to call them, teeny tiny balls or fragments) of styrofoam in all the nearby spider webs, drives me crazy. They also invade electrical panels and we've lost at least three GFCIs to them, the A/C unit TWICE to them, and once the main panel got hosed by the black ants invading it. ANYONE who tells you ants can't make an electrical outlet or panel short is a fucking IDIOT, tell them to shut up.

We also have what I call crazy ants, they're quite tiny and QUITE FAST!

Then, we have red & black ants, bigger than the blacks, and bitier, too.

Then, we have carpenter ants and those things are just scary. They're HUGE!

I've seen other ants of various sizes and colors, but not in any numbers, just the occasional ant. What we have a bigger problem with are wasps and hornets. Ugh. Pee on it.

J

Jalisco Kid

Ants also bring on an outbreak of scales. We have carnivorous ants down here that can put a serious hurtin on your ass. Leaf eaters by the millions.JK

urbanfog

urbanfog

What we have a bigger problem with are wasps and hornets. Ugh. Pee on it.

You too huh? Man I hate them buggers, especially the yellow wasps hovering over my lawn. Dam dogs get stung all the time in the feet........grrrrrr . I have found that when treating my yards I like the ortho bug b gone, kills over 150 yard critters for up to 3 months, and is safe for the veggies I have stuff and have good results for the last 2 seasons

and best of all no ants, fleas, ticks, and does good to run off the wasps

Nutts

Nutts

Luckily we don't get ants that bad. But one year I had em climbing out of my five gal buckets. Eggs or whatever came in my promix and when they got into the right environment they hatched bi kept seeing big black flying ants crawl out. I was like wtf? Luckily they just fly away. And they only come during a few certain weeks in the summer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The flyers are, IIRC, new hatches of males and females that are flying off to establish new colonies. The males mate the females and then die, just like with bees. Again, IF I recollect correctly.

I hate the wasps, but I know what they do for us because one year we went nuclear on them and the animals suffered the consequences. We had deer flies that bit them up BLOODY. Now I leave them when and where I can.

Top Bottom