Best way to handle runoff?

• Thread starter AngmohGrowz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AngmohGrowz

AngmohGrowz

I see many growers with their pots placed directly on the bottom of their tents - sometimes on a tray. Either way, it seems to me that 10% to 20% runoff in coco daily would make a huge mess and be very hard to collect.

My first grow I had them elevated on a metal platform and i pushed plastic basins underneath to catch the runoff and discard it. Those trays are putting my plants a good 1 foot off the bottom, and I'd like to get them a little lower.

So when you guys place them directly on a tray or bottom of the tent, how do you collect the runoff? If I have a normal plant saucer, I will have to lift the plant off the saucer every time I want to discard of the runoff.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
You could get a tote that fits under you can set up a small pump or use a big syringe to suck it out or put pot risers under your pot in the tray . Hope that helps buddy regards OD .

Enforcer

Enforcer

I used saucers elevated on 4” wood base. Inside the saucer is a riser that keeps the plant out of the runoff. The runoff drains from the 3 saucers to a sump bucket. The sump is pumped out twice a day on a timer. The entire process is automated and I don’t have to worry about it. The bottom of the pot is about 8” from the floor.

boomgagem

boomgagem

Supporter
I used saucers elevated on 4” wood base. Inside the saucer is a riser that keeps the plant out of the runoff. The runoff drains from the 3 saucers to a sump bucket. The sump is pumped out twice a day on a timer. The entire process is automated and I don’t have to worry about it. The bottom of the pot is about 8” from the floor.

Sorry OP, but I would love to see pics. I was originally looking around to get some ideas on doing this too!

Dr.B

Dr.B

I see many growers with their pots placed directly on the bottom of their tents - sometimes on a tray. Either way, it seems to me that 10% to 20% runoff in coco daily would make a huge mess and be very hard to collect.

My first grow I had them elevated on a metal platform and i pushed plastic basins underneath to catch the runoff and discard it. Those trays are putting my plants a good 1 foot off the bottom, and I'd like to get them a little lower.

So when you guys place them directly on a tray or bottom of the tent, how do you collect the runoff? If I have a normal plant saucer, I will have to lift the plant off the saucer every time I want to discard of the runoff.
After testing pH the shop vac empties the trays if required. I set mine on an inverted smaller saucer within the big saucer. This keeps the plant out of the water.

Jankyl29

Jankyl29

Lost some height in the tent, but I never come close to needing it all anyway. Almost end of grow cycle so don't mind the mess, lol....but just angled plastic roofing, drains into a 20 gal tote underneath. Just vac it out every now and then to keep humidity low.

20200627 073421
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

I found these on ebay or amazon, they are called drain away trays. Semi pricy at $25 a tray if I remember correctly. Have used them for 2 years now and love them. Might not be ideal for every set up. Hard to tell in the picture but pot sits on a flat/level raised part and water rolls over on to the angled slope towards drain.

20200705 203846
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
@Scolymia7 I really like the trays ( yep, a bit pricey to me ) but they are the bees knees. The pots are new to me as well. I use a 4x6 tray but hate the height loss necessary to get flow to my drain.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Yep, I have one under my water heater - but this is different. Thinking about 3d printing that fucker. They seem to still be paying for the injection mold, I'd request the transaction be done at gun point to make me feel like it was a deal I couldn't refuse. 20$ for 15.5" and 24.99 for 22". That sorta burns enough to just do it on a printer, out of spite. Ima cheap bastard, I admit.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Corrugated to gutter to a condensate pump or some kind of container to a float and/or manually empty it. Can make it as low as about 6-10 in off the floor. If you have bottom vents and want to keep them open make the table just higher then them to block the light if needed.

IMG 20200705 221640

it can be as easy and cheap or as complicated and expensive as you want to make it. Something like the aboves to something like saucers and a turkey baster or shop vac. They also sell wet/dry vacs the clip onto the top of a 5 gal bucket. They are semi cheap.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
@cemchris Cheap. I like cheap.

I'm thinking about this... Already have a thing but you never know when you gotta go parts on hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom