Best way to light a 5x5x6.5 tent with LEDs?

• Thread starter Hobblebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Is spider farmer worth looking into? would like to by a single light to replace the once im currently using (kingplus 1200w i know its likely got botched stats and im going to get an upgrade once the frosts hit next october)

I grow in soil and dont really need much temp control with the light i have as its in a cool basement, stays around 70 no matter what in the summer. I run some fans if needed, but temp isnt an issue if its LED.

Im mainly concerned about being able to cover the entire tent while not burning the canopy once it get up there. Its only a 6.5 foot tall tent, and i want to maximize the space available

any advice is greatly appreciated.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Is spider farmer worth looking into? would like to by a single light to replace the once im currently using (kingplus 1200w i know its likely got botched stats and im going to get an upgrade once the frosts hit next october)

I grow in soil and dont really need much temp control with the light i have as its in a cool basement, stays around 70 no matter what in the summer. I run some fans if needed, but temp isnt an issue if its LED.

Im mainly concerned about being able to cover the entire tent while not burning the canopy once it get up there. Its only a 6.5 foot tall tent, and i want to maximize the space available

You've got the right idea, but I'm not sure how much the lights you're looking at would cost. Let me show you something ... (see pics)

The spider farmer is a good light except that it costs twice as much as a kingbrite quantum board.

Spider Farmer
Kingbrite
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

You've got the right idea, but I'm not sure how much the lights you're looking at would cost. Let me show you something ... (see pics)

The spider farmer is a good light except that it costs twice as much as a kingbrite quantum board.

ive never used Alibaba before, everything is shipped from China right? Does anyone know how mucheffect flu has on shipping? For amazon not much you can order comes within a month. Online shopping has kinda been a mess. How is the quality/ customer service for kingbrite? I was looking into them and I’m really intrigued. Are there fake kingbrites on alibaba? I seem to find a look alike for everything on there

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

ive never used Alibaba before, everything is shipped from China right? Does anyone know how mucheffect flu has on shipping? For amazon not much you can order comes within a month. Online shopping has kinda been a mess. How is the quality/ customer service for kingbrite? I was looking into them and I’m really intrigued
I ordered 4 of those last week. 2 of them on Tuesday night. Then I decided Wednesday morning I'd buy 2 more. I hung the first order tonight. I should have the second tomorrow. Packages were shipped on Friday so 3-4 days for the actual shipping and less than a week over-all? No complaints .... none ...

Kingbrite contact
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

ive never used Alibaba before, everything is shipped from China right? Does anyone know how mucheffect flu has on shipping? For amazon not much you can order comes within a month. Online shopping has kinda been a mess. How is the quality/ customer service for kingbrite? I was looking into them and I’m really intrigued
I ordered 4 of those last week. 2 of them on Tuesday night. Then I decided Wednesday morning I'd buy 2 more. I hung the first order tonight. I should have the second tomorrow. Packages were shipped on Friday so 3-4 days for the actual shipping and less than a week over-all? No complaints .... none ...

wow that’s amazing. I guess I’ll have to be convinced not to use them for my next lighting setup. Do you know anything about the distance from canopy that would be necessary to avoid light burn? Would like to grow 4 plants in my 5x5 this winter

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

wow that’s amazing. I guess I’ll have to be convinced not to use them for my next lighting setup. Do you know anything about the distance from canopy that would be necessary to avoid light burn? Would like to grow 4 plants in my 5x5 this winter

I'm still learning. I had the lights closer but the plants weren't responding very well. Growth didn't look right. Turns out these lights are bright enough to give it light burn because the tent is at a controlled high and low using a temperature controller I picked up for $30. I am in the process right now of lowering those lights down. They're at about 30" but I am aiming for 20"-24" I'll begin to drop them a bit at a time this week.

I have 11 in my 5 x 5 x 6.5 right now. It's tight but I "could go the whole grow" in there. My tent is probably the same tent you have. You could actually fit 6 - 8 in there with space to move and care for the plants. 5 of mine are moving to my other tent as soon as I get the other boards. If I get them tomorrow, when the lights come on I'll move them so there is 6 in my 5 x 5 and 5 in my 4 x 4.

Last edited:
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I'm still learning. I had the lights closer but the plants weren't responding very well. Growth didn't look right. Turns out these lights are bright enough to give it light burn because the tent is at a controlled high and low using a temperature controller I picked up for $30. I am in the process right now of lowering those lights down. They're at about 30" but I am aiming for 20"-24" I'll begin to drop them a bit at a time this week.

I have 11 in my 5 x 5 x 6.5 right now. It's tight but I "could go the whole grow" in there. My tent is probably the same tent you have. You could actually fit 6 - 8 in there with space to move and care for the plants. 5 of mine are moving to my other tent as soon as I get the other boards. If I get them tomorrow, when the lights come on I'll move them so there is 6 in my 5 x 5 and 5 in my 4 x 4.

how do you recommend choosing from the KB light selection? the naming scheme is a bit hard to follow. Im a noob with lighting, how do i choose between the 3000k- 3500k and the 4000k? I think that one light would be good for my 5x5, but im definitely willing to buy two smaller ones if that works better since they are so darn cheap.

Qfs

Qfs

Have you considered looking at the HLG 550 V2 lighting I think they have whet your looking for.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

@MIGrampaUSA
@Qfs
I have looked at the HLG but they are around 800$ from what ive seen compared to the 150-180 from Kingbrite. I think KB might be the way to go for the materials and the bare bones aspect they provide. Its a chinese brand but I think its worth a shot for the money, especially the other stuff around for similar builds is 500$ plus for an ok light.

In the specs it says (2 kits) for the foot print, does that mean you need two lights for that footprint?
even if you needed to get two light, it would still be ~350$

Screen Shot 2020 04 09 at 12635 PM

240w Kingbrite Link

Qfs

Qfs

@MIGrampaUSA
@Qfs
I have looked at the HLG but they are around 800$ from what ive seen compared to the 150-180 from Kingbrite. I think KB might be the way to go for the materials and the bare bones aspect they provide. Its a chinese brand but I think its worth a shot for the money, especially the other stuff around for similar builds is 500$ plus for an ok light.

In the specs it says (2 kits) for the foot print, does that mean you need two lights for that footprint?

View attachment 959259

240w Kingbrite Link
I would think
@MIGrampaUSA
@Qfs

View attachment 959259

240w Kingbrite Link
I would think with the size of your grow area, that two kits should do the job. Are they full
Spectrum and can they dasiy-chained ?

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I would think

I would think with the size of your grow area, that two kits should do the job. Are they full
Spectrum and can they dasiy-chained ?

full spectrum and I think they can be daisy chained. In the pictures it showed two panels of leds per unit, so idk of each led panel counts as a kit? It says 2 kits is enough for 5x5, so that’s buying a quantity of 2??

Very Confused by the wording

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That's just about the same size I'm working with.

Three 240w Kingbrite boards will light it sufficiently hung 24" or so above the canopy and spaced about 8 in apart.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

That's just about the same size I'm working with.

Three 240w Kingbrite boards will light it sufficiently hung 24" or so above the canopy and spaced about 8 in apart.

do you think 2 would pass for the 5x5?

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

You could get started with 2 and things would work, but 3 is definitely optimal.
Currently running king plus 1200w but those numbers probably aren’t real. It’s doing great for veg so far, but I need more lights to cover a canopy better. 2 kingbrites will be on the way this summer. Thanks for the help, maybe a third once I get some cash after this flu pandemic

Top Bottom