Best way to recycle soil indoors?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I run rev 2.1 soil mix and was told I could use 25% recycled soil in my soil mix. What is my best way to do this? Also I'n not using worms.

juggernaut

juggernaut

yeah farmers use the same soil every year so I don't know why I was given using recyc soil at 25%.
Also is there a given receipe to use?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Probably, but I wouldn't have it handy because I don't typically use recipes. I can't say doing it that way is the best way, it's just what works for me, ya know?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Are you using only organics? If so, why not recycle 100% of the soil? Simply re-amend what you feel may be deficient (especially those quickly used up N reserves) and you should be fine.
Ive been reuseing soil for almost 4 years..leaving the roots to compost right next to the new roots..(no till) Its been working great..

but i just read this yesterday:confused:
Fusarium is most prevalent in warm soils. It is harbored in old plant debris and soil. The best way to prevent infection in your crops or plants is rotation and sterilization.

Never plant the same crop in the same place annually.

indonesia

indonesia

any issues anyone has had in reusing???? you said you left the roots in there too?

Myco

Myco

I've been recycling for a while now, haven't had any obvious issues due to recycling. And yes, I just rip out the main rootball, shake off the soil, then empty out the pots, break it all up, and re-amend. Lots of root matter is left behind, but breaks down quote quickly.

When it comes to re-amending, I add back in a fair bit of EWC, perlite (to add aeration to account for the added EWC), then quarter to half strength neem cake, alfalfa, kelp or whatever else I felt my plants may have been lacking in the previous run. @Seamaiden gave solid advice :)

Also be sure to use a healthy amount of beneficial bactera, ACT, etc. I stopped brewing for a bit out of laziness and that was a mistake. Replenishing microbes and keeping them fed will keep the bad stuff at bay, allowing you to reuse your soil indefinitely.

When you say you're not using worms, you don't mean you're NOT using EWC... right?

Not using EWC in organic soil, recycled or not, is like a sin ;)

Billyboat

Billyboat

I run 3x6 and 4x8 beds indoors with Sunshine Advanced #4 or Sunshine Ultra coir and I rip out the root ball, add EWC, Alaksan Humisoil, OG biowar, Insect Frass, a little lime, top off with some new media/perlite and off we go. I replant within 2 days of harvesting and my beds have only gotten better with time. Been going strong for 6+ months.

If you keep watch on what you feed and give a good flush those last two weeks, the media only gets better!

indonesia

indonesia

I run 3x6 and 4x8 beds indoors with Sunshine Advanced #4 or Sunshine Ultra coir and I rip out the root ball, add EWC, Alaksan Humisoil, OG biowar, Insect Frass, a little lime, top off with some new media/perlite and off we go. I replant within 2 days of harvesting and my beds have only gotten better with time. Been going strong for 6+ months.

If you keep watch on what you feed and give a good flush those last two weeks, the media only gets better!
what if you dont feed?

Top Bottom