best way to turn 20+ pounds of bud into wax/shatter?

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DC105

DC105

Man! I would still love that problem! A lil immature I cam deal with. Bud rot from rain and humidity? Not too well! Keep has informed!

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

I agree with blaze. In terms of math it is better to ride out the storm and figure out covers. 50 degrees and rainy is not the end of the world for outdoor plants, they will still continue to mature as long as you cover them from rain that could cause mold and it doesn't get in the 30's.

That being said, the least expensive way to turn a lot of bud into concentrate without buying expensive equipment is to have several electric hot plates going at once. Water bath style for initial purge. Get two big glass tubes going at a time with stands so they can stand in the pyrex and just takes some time. Have you made wax before though? It is very dangerous and should only be done if you know what you're doing.

I would invest in a tamisium, they're about $1500 for the ones that hold 2 oz and $4600 for the 8 oz ones. Depends how much you use it, but probably not worth it for just one time use. Absolutely great if you use it regularly. Instead of the normal butane can releasing slowly its literally instantly blasted through the material and ready to pour into the pyrex in the hot water bath. Then you can just do whatever style you normally do for your concentrate purge-wise. Plus it's closed loop so you would only need like 2-8 cans of butane as opposed to 360..

Good luck man

gumby420

gumby420

i can get through about 10 in a day with two 180g tubes, while im blasting my homie is packing the next tube so theres no down time. another thing youll need is a vacuum oven or its not even worth making it into wax in my opinion

gumby420

gumby420

May I ask why you wouldn't consider maybe doinga pound or so via dry ice extraction instead of butane? I encourage you to do both and compare them if your willing to. I find that dry ice kief either pressed or straight from the pile is BETTER than wax/glass/shatter. Just a thought so yo could avoid all that damn butane. I am still not convinced that shit is safe no matter how much they try to remove the stuff. My juju says no no no.

do you use a lighter? using a lighter to light a bowl can have higher ppms of butane than any properly purged bho

Kitty

Kitty

do you use a lighter? using a lighter to light a bowl can have higher ppms of butane than any properly purged bho

That's a great point. One I've never thought of before..scary thought how much butane I've sucked in over the years.

gumby420

gumby420

hemp wick or an herb iron will get you away from sucking in butane, light the hemp whick and then light your bowl with that, it tastes so much better. when i first started using hemp wick it was mainly because of this video, a bic lighter in slowmotion.....

Lowman

Lowman

Why not use a still with some sort of solvent like alcohol. You would keep recovering your alcohol to reuse. Less waste...less pollution....and probably a whole lot safer.

fractal

fractal

They're gonna make it as flowers. . .I was just looking ahead planning for a less than ideal situation. Did get the plastic sheeting and tried to cover the patch but the wind tore it right down. No worries, weather is good for this time of year and they are ready to come down if any significant rain occurs. It is a bit cold at night lately but like someone said it is bringing out the fall colors, lots of purple buds on them. Turned out there was no way I could afford the equipment for a closed loop setup or all the butane I would need to oil up a whole crop, so I let it ride and prayed for a good outcome. I will reveal the strain once they are hanging up to dry.
141011 003   Copy

141011 009   Copy

Last edited:
fractal

fractal

Thanks, I'm a long way from california and dealing with a super short growing season. These didn't truly start flowering until early to mid august so they are just now hitting a full 8-9 weeks of flower. It's like they waited til the last minute and then started chunking out. . .They looked way behind my friend's crop which was in a greenhouse and seemed to be weeks ahead of mine but then in the last month they totally caught up. We were blessed with an indian summer and above average temps or else these plants would have frozen to death in late september. They are definitely strong, resilient genetics.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Glad to hear yer plants are gonna make it!!! Turning all that to bho woulda been a real mofo! :D

fractal

fractal

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's BLOCKHEAD people. . . Half were F1 seeds that were 13 years old, every single one sprouted. The other half are F2 that I made in 2009. I do think that the F1 plants showed more vigor and yielded more than the F2 generation, but Blueberry seemed to dominate the entire crop as my F2 seeds were made with an awesome blueberry leaning mother. That's good! One plant shot up to 9 or 10 feet, obviously Malawi dominant but true to the description Breeder Steve gave out it grew like a sativa but the buds look like tight indica buds. Never thought that one would finish but it did, amazing genetics.

I started with 72 seeds and culled it down to 8 F1 females, 7 F2 females and 3 F1 males. I pollinated the crop to make seeds hoping to send them to Logic as freebies but may have done it too early, we'll see. If not I have clones backed up of the F1 plants to make lots more F2 beans in the future.

fractal

fractal

Hahaha, I have to get off my ass to process it once dry. So much work to do still! It's definitely not about being stoned 24/7 to me anymore, I'd rather grow the best for medical users instead of smoking it all.

Top Bottom