Best ways to seal off this room...

• Thread starter kushpheen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushpheen

OK here is my question to all the brilliant minds out there. I'm trying to create a sealed room environment. Instead of my room being a perfect square with a door, the door opens into a small hallway maybe 8 feet long, then the room opens up. I would prefer to seal the hallway off from the rest of the room, so I won't be wasting Co2, AC and etc. My ideas to do this are from the simple plastic tarp and zippers to a more elaborate sliding patio door system. I would rather avoid a traditional door because of space constraints and the difficulty sealing it. Here is a SERIOUSLY ghetto sketch of my room. The xxx's mark the spot Im trying to seal off. The === marks the entry door. And the ---'s just represent empty floor and hallway space. Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

|----------------- |
|----------------- |
|xxx__________|
|---|
|---|
===

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Put a pre hung door in the hallway, they have em for around 100bucks steel door too. Frame it with 2x4's.

S

Sway

..build a door with a 2 inch overlap on the outside skin. use 1inch wide 1 inch tall weatherstripping, the durable industrial kind, and put it around the entire door edge. put 4-8 pins with cotter keys, sticking out of the frame placed on the 4 corners and 4 centers of where the door will seat. the pins have to be short enough so you have to push the door against the weatherstripping squashing it down when you close it to seal. put your pins or cotter keys in the pin sticking through the door to hold it. perfect seal everytime, and the door is strong as fuck. i recommend putting a lock or two on it as well.

its really simple, but im terrible at explaining carpentry step by step.

N

nughit

If it was my house and not a rental I'd get the pre hung doors. Otherwise I'd use panda poly with a tarp zipper.

Dalonewolf

Dalonewolf

They sell plastic sheets at the hardware store which seal windows. They are applied with a blow dryer to more or less heat seal your window against any air leaks.

Well it works both ways and could help to keep the tell tale oders in until they are evacuated through a carbon filter.

Top Bottom