Best Youtube channel for detailed advice on growing top shelf buds

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Last time I calculated I was at 1.4 grams per watt. And I’ve got pics to back it up. The grow was fully documented here on the farm in one of my home growing racks. Cost per oz was less than $10 including electricity, nutes and growing medium. Everything but the genetics was used in the overall calculations and I’ve got pics of the kill-a-watt readings in that grow diary. I believe it’s in the cookies n cream f2 by exotic genetix thread if you want to check it out.

Munch517

Munch517

There's a couple of very worthwhile podcasts where various professionals are interviewed and offer plenty of great insights.

IMO the best one is Tad Hussey, he consistently has highly reputable people on often with titles to go with their names, there's also plenty of industry people as well. The talks are always pretty in depth and every one seems to have something to offer.

The other one I listen to regularly is GrowCast. You have to be a little more careful with the information here as he interviews not only reputable professionals and industry people, but also internet-famous growers who sometimes offer incomplete or misguided information as if its fact. He does more frequent shows though so if you have the time there are gems to be found:

Kepp89

Kepp89

Sounds like a member of the instant gratification generation. Why work hard and learn when you can watch a video, mimick everything someone who HAS worked hard and see if you can get some ,"cali weed".

C'mon man, pick up a book. Try growing a tomato plant before you dive into something like this and think you're going to grow your first plant with top shelf quality.

Bit harsh. Not sorry about it. Best of luck to you.
whos to say the one taking the video didnt learn from observation?
its a lot easier to learn from observation than it is to learn from reading a book. for me, anyways. same goes for many people. explaining it only confuses until they actually physically do it for themselves.

seeing something done doesnt mean you can copy the results at the end. learning is still required. as is reading. but observing helps get the noggin' working in the right direction

DETtoPDX

DETtoPDX

Absolutely.

I haven't got photos and I don't feel the need to prove myself to you - I've been doing it that way for many years and that's the norm for me. All I was looking for was some advice from some decent people about learning to up my quality which I got, so thanks for that guys, very much appreciated. Shame the thread had to also be littered with nonsense.

Great advice thanks - I think I need to separate the wheat from the chaff on here!

I’m interested to see what a 42 oz indoor scrogged plant looks like, could you post pics?

Munch517

Munch517

I’m interested to see what a 42 oz indoor scrogged plant looks like, could you post pics?

It's certainly doable but I'd imagine it'd take forever to veg out and it'd be hell to train every step of the way. I expect a similar yield from four plants in the same 4x4 area. I would appreciate some pics to see it though.

Andy

Andy

I don’t have pics, sorry. But yes, the training is a pain in the ass until about week 4-5 of flower. The only reason to do it was to have fewer plants to lower the risk. I’m going to 4 plants in the same area soon so I can grow the kind of indicas that wouldn’t scrog to that size.

Andy

Andy

Last time I calculated I was at 1.4 grams per watt. And I’ve got pics to back it up. The grow was fully documented here on the farm in one of my home growing racks. Cost per oz was less than $10 including electricity, nutes and growing medium. Everything but the genetics was used in the overall calculations and I’ve got pics of the kill-a-watt readings in that grow diary. I believe it’s in the cookies n cream f2 by exotic genetix thread if you want to check it out.
Actually I’m looking to grow some up-to-date genetics as the plant I’ve been using (Jack flash #5) is very old school. I want to use feminised seeds - do you recommend exotic genetix & are there any others you’d recommend for general smell & bag appeal?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Actually I’m looking to grow some up-to-date genetics as the plant I’ve been using (Jack flash #5) is very old school. I want to use feminised seeds - do you recommend exotic genetix & are there any others you’d recommend for general smell & bag appeal?

Exotic Genetix is ok. Lots of good stuff there but I’ve also ran into some hermie issues with their prized cookies n cream which has been widely reported across the net. There’s several great breeders out there you just gotta find some that appeal to you or your customers. I’ve got about 50 strains to grow over the next few years and have grown quite a few over the last few years. You find gems here and there and garbage now and again. Cull the garbage and keep the good ones. Grow more of those and keep a little section open for new stuff. That way you can keep on producing while you try to find the next gem.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Step 1: start with plants containing great DNA.

Interesting topic. I’d say a good bit of genetics out there now are good or decent. Any plant can be grown like shit and any plant can be grown great. Obviously the ceiling is dependent on the genetics but the grower needs to do their part as well. Each strain requires slightly different climates in order to thrive.

Madbud

Madbud

Twenty years ago we were getting mazar, white widow and northern lights seeds from the uk, respectable at the time but far below todays standards; and the bagseed of the ‘70s, forgetaboutit

Andy

Andy

Interesting topic. I’d say a good bit of genetics out there now are good or decent. Any plant can be grown like shit and any plant can be grown great. Obviously the ceiling is dependent on the genetics but the grower needs to do their part as well. Each strain requires slightly different climates in order to thrive.
Thanks, appreciate it. Would you mind suggesting one or two breeders that do great, up to date genetics?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Just the tried and true Breeders that have been around for a while. Heres a short list of people I trust.

Mostly trust

Serious Seeds
BOG
Crockett Family Farms
Seedsman Seeds
DJ Short

Somewhat trust

Useful Seeds
CSI Humboldt
Brothers Grimm
Flying Dutchmen
Paradise Seeds
Reeferman Seeds
Bodhi Seeds
Subcool TGA
Hazeman Seeds

damien50

damien50

Harley Smith gives great info on plant nutrition. Bugsby from Apogee is great for lighting. Otherwise I have a gang of botany and Horticulture books that I use. I don't use YouTube too much as much of the really good information from LED diodes, environmental management, and crop management has been found going through 10+ years of forum post all over.

i do watch a lot of videos on Dutch greenhouses though and browse through a lot of Horticulture sites. Stoners unfortunately don't know everything so there's a good bit of cross referencing I do especially before I spend money.

I personally have good success with Ace Seeds and Sannie's seeds.

shaganja

shaganja

bro, if you dont mind reading, you are on one of the most informative, educational, peer reviewed sites there is! thc farmer is the place for knowledge! if you are on here enough, you will see big name breeders replying to us growers. helping us out. where else can you find info from the best breeders in the world? stay right here bro. you dont need any stupid videos. besides here, i am all about potcasts. there are a bunch out there! great info if you dont like to read. i am digging the potcast from austrailia right now.

Anthem

Anthem

Nope - all indoors, each plant covers 1.2x1.2 scrogged flat. Environment 100% dialed in. Dry trimmed weight average is 42oz per plant, roughly 1g/watt (yes, we use ounces), all dense bud & no crap. I suppose I should be flattered that you assume that’s not possible. I'm a competent grower and have perfected growing plants like this over many years - my mission in coming here is solely to increase quality. Here's my intro thread with my mission. Looking at the grows of the people who are patronizing and talking down to me here, I can tell you that you have a lot to learn about growing cannabis plants to their full potential :)
Andy I am having a hard time understanding some of your numbers. Are you using feet or meters in your 1.2 x 1.2 number above? If meters you have like 15 square feet per plant?

NairnM16

NairnM16

Andy I am having a hard time understanding some of your numbers. Are you using feet or meters in your 1.2 x 1.2 number above? If meters you have like 15 square feet per plant?
Believe it’s meters mines is the same, I use like 4x4/5x5 measurements as I don’t know the exact math behind it

Top Bottom