Better Organix Customer Service

• Thread starter Bajocas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bajocas

Bajocas

I'm a newb. No doubt about it. I have another account on this site and totally forgot what email I used so I've created another account. Newb. Truly. I'm nearing the end of my first grow all the way through and I've been reading Ecompost's posts about the approaches to healthy, vital, soil. I'm going to try to reuse the soil I have now. Yeah. I like the challenge. Now to the point.

I fired off an email to Better Organix with rambling questions that showed my ignorance of this approach. I made no commitment to purchase anything in my email and actually I felt like I was looking for information for free after re-reading what I wrote. What the hell right? All that can happen is no response. I've had plenty of emails to companies that give no response

I got a fantastic, informative, positive response from Andy Dominic that made me feel like I hadn't wasted their time. There was absolutely no type of pressure to purchase anything, just one man giving info to another man on a common interest. No sales pitch. No attitude.

I can't say I'll end up purchasing the products but because of Andy's professional interaction with me I feel like there is a group of folks interested in helping growers transition to new media approaches. I'm intent on changing all my gardening to "living soil" over the next couple of years and I have at least one person, and by default one company, in my book "go to" solutions.

Here's my current grow that I'll cut and hang tomorrow. Then on to trying the reuse of soil.

Better organix customer service

Better organix customer service 2

ACDC

Better organix customer service 3

Cannatonic x FireOg

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I'm a newb. No doubt about it. I have another account on this site and totally forgot what email I used so I've created another account. Newb. Truly. I'm nearing the end of my first grow all the way through and I've been reading Ecompost's posts about the approaches to healthy, vital, soil. I'm going to try to reuse the soil I have now. Yeah. I like the challenge. Now to the point.

I fired off an email to Better Organix with rambling questions that showed my ignorance of this approach. I made no commitment to purchase anything in my email and actually I felt like I was looking for information for free after re-reading what I wrote. What the hell right? All that can happen is no response. I've had plenty of emails to companies that give no response

I got a fantastic, informative, positive response from Andy Dominic that made me feel like I hadn't wasted their time. There was absolutely no type of pressure to purchase anything, just one man giving info to another man on a common interest. No sales pitch. No attitude.

I can't say I'll end up purchasing the products but because of Andy's professional interaction with me I feel like there is a group of folks interested in helping growers transition to new media approaches. I'm intent on changing all my gardening to "living soil" over the next couple of years and I have at least one person, and by default one company, in my book "go to" solutions.

Here's my current grow that I'll cut and hang tomorrow. Then on to trying the reuse of soil.

View attachment 684039
View attachment 684040
ACDC

View attachment 684041
Cannatonic x FireOg
Hes good people for sure and nice plants!!

Ecompost

Ecompost

View attachment 684039
View attachment 684040
ACDC

View attachment 684041
Cannatonic x FireOg
You are doing a great job, The plants are super healthy, the media should be perfect for reuse. Just note the rate of decay of old plant matter and its impact on available N.
As the old root matter etc is decayed for potential future use by shedders and bacteria, fungus etc, you may get a shortfall in N levels. This is a natural part of life, microbes use Nitrogen to decay things like Lignin and or cellulose etc, back in to the constituent parts, eg the NPK we all need. As this process happens we can see a temporary shortfall for your target plant, which may then suffer as a result. Always having access to casts, or an N feed like iNititate will help just in case you notice this lock out.
C/N of any given material (Carbon to Nitrogen ratio) is the reason this happens, the further apart these numbers, the more N may be taken from a system by microbes which would decay this matter, or the longer it will take to decay to a reuseable state.
For cannabis, the ideal media C/N ratio we found is is about 24:1. So long as you have diverse inputs, this will give you about 3-4 months of mojo, enough time to flower a cannabis plant right?

The more you do recycle and maintain your media, the less you have to use input wise that costs money, as the system becomes fully resonant in time and the wonder of natural cycling becomes self evident, but you will always need a source of N imo, even with N fixers running full tilt, there may be times we simply cant find enough within the time frame required . You can simply use some casts or add worms if you are going LSI. (you will be doing this i am sure)

just as a heads up, brewed as a tea, a 100ml bottle of iNititate will make up to 200L (@53 gallons) of N rich tea for about $10.00 rrp or about 18cents a gallon. It is very potent.
iNititate has bio stimulants, humates and organic acids which help maintain a lower overall media pH and soil friability . It is also a good choice where you may also have calcareous soils or are growing perennial fruits or chillis etc.
Thanks for your kind words, i will pass these onwards. Our key goal is to inform where we can, helping all people grow better crops, this includes all users of all marks of products. Buying nutrients is an expensive business, we can offer you a discount voucher if this helps you in our case.

Advice is always free to polite persons with genuine personal passion and as with all life, there is, or at least should be, many ways to reach a similar result and together we can find the solutions :-)

Bajocas

Bajocas

Thanks for info! I've just started reading The Revs "True Living Organics" and my first item for things I'm missing is the worm castings. Luckily Amazon has same day in my area so when I get home there should be a nice bag of castings to work with.

I've been working on teas using my compost. I have a doubled sided bin with one side that has all the material completely broken down and that is the material I use for the tea. The other side is in the working stage. Leaf matter still recognizable, kitchen scraps not yet broken down etc.. I see the bacteria? fungus? (I see it, I just don't yet know what exactly I'm looking at) in large amounts on the working side but in much smaller amounts on the finished side. Is this because there isn't as much breakdown activity any longer on the finished side? I've mixed in alfalfa meal, basalt, gypsum, and today the worm castings will go in. My understanding is the alfalfa will help with N, basalt with calcium and iron as well as trace minerals, and gypsum with calcium and sulfur. Other than smell and feel I haven't done any true testing of the soil. My early try with my own soil is on these two auto's which are now about 8 weeks. They are much better than my earlier try with a more nutrient additive approach. Other than tea, water, and beneficial bugs I haven't added anything. Using plain water still has me shaking my head in wonder.

Auto ChemBubbly
IMG 2588

Auto White Widow
IMG 2581

The softpots for the plants I just harvested still have the soil in them. I dropped some clover, alfalfa, rye seeds into the softpot soil just to keep something rolling until I realize the next step. Is the next step dropping the used soil into the compost bin or do I try to revitalize the soil while still in the softpot? It seems the cycle would be all used stuff goes to the compost bin to be broken down and then reused.

I live in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles and my local soil is old lake bed, lots of clay.
What I'm noticing is in my "finished" compost the local clay soil balls up. I've been breaking it up by hand but should it naturally break down? Is there something I'm missing?

Carbon to Nitrogen ratio. Ok, I'm holding onto concept by the end of the rope here but I think I have a general idea. Carbon sources can be woodchips, dead leaves, basically anything organic that is desiccated? This is where I get stuck and may be where I am lacking. I may not have enough carbon sources. My household is full! We generate a ton of kitchen compost waste. Veggies, fruit, leftovers from juicing, coffee grounds. I haven't started putting paper waste in yet because I haven't done reading on what is ok and what is not. Other than old dried leaves from my lemon tree and some woodchips I've not actively been adding carbon sources that I know of.

I've been flip flopping on a worm farm. I'd love to start but again I haven't done enough research to be confident they will live through the SFV summer heat. I have worms in my soil in certain areas and have been contemplating just creating my farm in the spots they already exist. I like the idea of living diggers and tillers taking care of business.

One thing that keeps popping up in the TLO book is "clean water". My tap water PPM's at 270-300. I fill a large plastic trash can with water and let it sit for 24 hours then fill 5 gallon buckets with water and let it sit for another 24 hours. It's working efficiently for me. The issue, according to my book reading, is adjusting my soil amendments to reflect my water source?????? This one doesn't confuse me but I have no idea how to get to a desired result. I'm guessing I'll pull up my local water chart and see what's in the water and add less of that to my soil?

This is fun for me. I'm in no hurry and the plants just keep getting better. I have my chili seedlings ready to go this week so I'll be testing out this batch of soil and have high hopes.

@Ecompost I'd appreciate a voucher and will certainly give the iNititate a go in my tea.

Thanks for the chat man.
Baj

Bajocas

Bajocas

Ecompost

Ecompost

ok there is a lot to get in to here buddy

1. The white stuff is most likely an actinobacteria, or more roundly, a myco-bacterium, a bit like yeast, or rather penicillium to be more accurate and these are extremely useful. These are primary decayers, they are first things you will see typically and they mass to a white fuzz which is easily visible to the naked eye. Yes, this is a primary decayer, as matter is reduced, from say a lignin base, further microbes will get involved, and your actino types may drop back visually, typically these go into a dormant spore like state, waiting for more matter to be added or not, just waiting for the right time again. They are known N fixers :-)

There are many numbers of primary decayers, you can find more about Actino here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinobacteria

2. Food waste and C/N ratios.

a) Ok so food waste, be careful with un-composted food waste as it can introduce many unwanted pests and or odors to the garden. If you are using food waste, compost it before taking it to the outside spaces. beware of composting inside tho also, Ammonium etc is not something to be treated lightly, ensure you know you have safe levels about you if this is happening in closed spaces.

Best way i found to do this without any hassle and in fact it can be done in the corner of the kitchen with the right bin is via a process called Bokashi, this sterilizes pathogens, reduces odors and provides lots of beneficial microbes to assist plant growth and health see here https://www.planetnatural.com/composting-101/indoor-composting/bokashi-composting/

otherwise for composting data, I would go check out the resources via Cornell. http://compost.css.cornell.edu/calc/cn_ratio.html

b) carbon to Nitrogen ratios. (found at Cornell too i think) you have a ball park idea, its less about what material, rather all organic material has a C/N, what this is depends on the matter itself. Eg. Kelp may have a low number, such as 10:1 where woodbark may have a C/N of 100:1. Kelp decays quickly so is ready for plants quickly too, woodchips take years and so are no good for short day annuals.

Anyway, here is a link to find out about C/N of common inputs. understanding how long you intend to grow for, and ergo how long you need to supply food and what, depends on the plant and environmental conditions. As with any successful venture, one must understand ones context first before acquiring the tools to assist, nutrients, and or soil inputs are all tools ;-) http://www.agriculture.com/crops/cover-crops/heres-why-carbonnitrogen-ratio-matters_568-ar48014

3.. Water, the thing with water is how much DS/ carbonate it has and is it treated with disinfectants?

a) Where we have high levels of Calcium for example, both in our media, clays, soils etc and our water, exchangeable and non exchangeable, we must give more consideration to how and when we apply nutrients.

We should know Mulders chart, and we should take account of soil pH as a consequence of calcareous media, adjusting our delivery methods and timings of many key nutrients. Your water dosen't sound too bad mate. Its not exactly soft, but its not hard either. if you can, get the source tested, but dont stress too much if you cant. They do it here in the pharmacy for a small fee but I know its not easy. http://soilanalyst.org/mulders-chart/

b) The biggest thing to watch for from a human health interest with muni water is the disinfectants, eg Chlorine and Chloramines chosen to reduce harmful bacteria, spiral forms etc. The former can be removed quickly and cheaply, the latter needs a full RO system to remove it.

I am tho never not amazed by people who seem to imagine disinfectants hit an bit of crap then make nothing. Typically in the case of Cl-, we can find compounds such as Formaldehydes and or Phosphates etc increase as organic matter is bound to the Cl- ions with Oxygen or other. There are different forms of Cl- we find typically in muni water, the pH value of the base is the determining factor in terms of disinfectant efficiency and destructive properties towards microorganisms, some of which are clearly valuable to growers.

Where water is high pH, Cl- loses its power, so in these cases locally we find the use of chloramines increasing. For me, this is a far more persistent and annoying disinfectant and something we have little long term data re impacts.

Plants do need a small amount of Cl- so dont worry too much buddy. In my opinion, if you grow with a root inoculate like Root Better, you will have an additional bio filter to help reduce the risk of negative health compounds and matter such as Formaldehydes and or metals such as Aluminum, Lead etc and so those of us choosing to grow with mycos and active biology, get protections those around not doing so dont get. :-) But we need to try to give our helpers the best space we can, so any water lower in Cl and other disinfectants are a better choice. Rain water can be used. I avoid hail and or snow collection tho as this reduces vectors for pseudomonas syringae which we dont want.

Some general data on Cl- drinking water supplies in the USA:
The national drinking water standards state that the maximum residual amount of chlorine is 4 mg/L. Untill recently the USA used chlorine gas extensively for wastewater treatment. Today, the use of chlorine has been forced back. This was done mostly because of dangerous disinfection byproducts, such as trihalomethanes (THM).
However, chlorine still is the main disinfectant in the USA, because it is relatively cheap. The application of the Clean Air Act (CAA) Risk Management Plan (RMP) for the storage of toxic chemicals by EPA (june, 1999) and the re-registration of chlorine gas as a pesticide (EPA, 2001) have caused wastewater treatment plants to switch from chlorine gas to sodium hypochlorite more and more often. This is because companies do not want to make a risk management plan for chlorine gas, as this takes up a lot of their time and money.

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-chlorine.htm#ixzz4eJ0VxqN3

There are articles on our Blog to explain how to eradicate Cl- for example and prepare water for microbes.

More on plant responses to water etc found here

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpls.2014.00086/full

4. clays and balling of material. It is normal for clays to bind to each other in the presence of microbes. Microbes aggregate soil particles like clays, and clays are minute and so look really tightly bound, when in fact there are really gaps caused by the repellent effects of – charge and -charge together, organic/ mineral matter also gets combined to sands clays etc in to clumps. This helps to build overall soil profiles and is the home for all life.

Tilled soil lacks the organic matter and soil glues and so when this collapses, it really does form a hard layer. It might look good at first, but in time it will compact or blow/ wash away in any storm.

Clays and most soil components in most locations around the globe, including SFV, have a slight negative electrical charge natively, but they also have a high cation exchange capacity. This means they can hold many other ions, typically of opposite charge. It is this character that makes them both useful (they provide a good source of nutrients for plants as they can hold many on the surface area of each particle, so increasing soil fertility) and a pain in the butt. It is easy to overload clays, they can buffer many ions and so we can go gungho before we notice a problem.

Lots of our plant nutrients contain many positively charged ions, these are attracted by the negative charge of the clays. When we overload our systems with too many cations for example (+ ions), we can change the surface charge of clays, whereby they begin to collapse in on each other and cause compaction. Compaction drives out Oxygen and water, and the soil profile collapses. Soil pH swings, typically to acid states as CO2 gases get trapped and our system goes anaerobic. Free radical ions such as H+ or OH- further add to the electrical battles in our soils. these occur as a natural response to multiple systems all running separate homeostasis, the soil is the one place all the unwanted items end, as well as the wanted :-) Biology can help reduce the impacts of radical ions as can a quality organic acid like humic or Bio Balance Media in my case. Both can work to ensure we dont get soil profile collapse easily :-)

5. the very best way to know if you soil base is healthy is to measure your day rate CO2 mate, you can buy a kit from Solvita online, or Woodsend Labs. You may also wish to purchase a SLAN test kit also for measuring Organic N levels.

Measuring the CO2 burst rate, tells you how much microbial respiration is happening. If levels of soil CO2-C drop then we typically have poor system health and efficiency, a cutoff loss response to N occurs at approx 90ppms for many grasses for example.. We should be looking at levels above this to ensure we have healthy conditions or respiration for growing organic cannabis.

data relating can be found via Solvita online, Penn State and others.

For Organic N – A SLAN to measure the pool of organic nitrogen, called alkali-labile soil amino-N, that’s available in your soil. Eg how much free N do you have, now juxtapose this with your target crop and bingo.

Any biological grower must see the plant PPM N and add plus 8% for microbial respiration :-)

Finally, voucher code is FARMNU17

Hope this helps

Ecompost

Ecompost

Palram Nature Series Mythos Hobby Greenhouse - 6' x 8' x 7', Silver

It was an Amazon purchase. I put a 20'x20' sunshade over the greenhouse to cut the temperature. Before the sunshade the greenhouse would be 15-20 degrees hotter than the outside. Now with the sunshade it is 3-5 degrees cooler in the greenhouse.
it is helpful to know about VPD ranges and to know the rates of RH, Temps Day/Night, and percentage CO2.
If we adjust one variable environmentally, typically we must tinker with correlating factors.
The RH% can be adjusted with humidification or De and air movement. The temp by shading as you have already, again ventilation helps or even AC
Lastly we have CO2, this is the hardest to control on the outdoors. In glasshouses we can pump in, but otherwise you might consider a FACE product like Nano Breathe to boost further plant available CO2 levels.
if you grow with microbes, you will get a boost to CO2 levels as part of natural respiration. Using extra CO2 will help you plant tolerate higher temp ranges. but dont forget to adjust up any Relative Humidity as temps rise, see a VPD chart for details on corresponding temps and % of relative humidity. Also lower any ppms in terms of nutrients during high heat and low RH%. Usually we find high rates of plant respiration and water loss at these times, leading to accumulative salt build up in the root zone.

peace

Bajocas

Bajocas

This is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out. Looks like the day will be re-reads of your post while looking up every 5th word! I've been looking for for brain challenge lately and this is going to be good. I begin my raised planter builds next week and this research will be put to good use .

Ecompost

Ecompost

This is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out. Looks like the day will be re-reads of your post while looking up every 5th word! I've been looking for for brain challenge lately and this is going to be good. I begin my raised planter builds next week and this research will be put to good use .
you are very welcome buddy. keep growing and ask if you need clarification. You cant have picked a bigger topic my friend. people think the land and soil are simplistic, nothing could be further from the truth. If I stopped every single scientist alive today, and made them only focus on soil, I would be dead before we got close to understanding the sum total.
There is no where else on earth, that sits at the interface between so many vital spheres of life as our soil. You can grow in soil, plants are after all extremely determined, but to know whats happening, this is everything for me :-) I am 10% human mate, the rest is a modulation of microbes :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

Average humans contain about 1-2 pounds of microbes in the large/lower intestines, so every time you weigh yourself, you can say my microbes are putting pounds on me :-)
You can find out more about the human biome by clicking this link here
http://humanfoodproject.com/americangut/

Those of you getting in to biological growing, will shortly learn how similar your own nutrition is, to that of a plant. You will study cells and see similarities between yourself and your plants which will leave you with an undeniable reality that you and the plant are connected, through the soil and beyond.
Once you get your head around this, you will understand why i dont make NPK nutrients and why I make Proteins, Fatty Acids, Carbohydrates and Gases instead. Understanding who the end users are of our food stuffs is the same for me as it is for my plant. It is cells. Now go look at a plant cell and a human cell, if you have time then, go see how many microbes you can find in a gram of soil, that closely resemble components of your own human cells. Now ask yourself, am i unique or can learn more about me by looking closely at plants.

Anyone else can check out Dr Provensa on Youtube to begin to get to the very essence of why BOX happened in the first place in light of the many other nutrients already available. Its NPK, but not as we know it :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom