Better World Bug Frass

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

Just wondering if anyone is into using this stuff yet? I read an atricle about this product and it sounds like a pretty good product. I guess it is the poop from bug larvae, they feed the larvae a certain diet to create an optimal cast. It is not just for the pure organic or TLO grower either and they claim you could use it by itsself through the entire grow, i believe with the help of some fulvic and humic acids. But they claim it is much more potent then worm castings.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I've seen a few other growers on here using it in there potting mix, sounds good, but I have never used it myself.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

I use frass weekly in my tea. Used it as a foliar, great results but a bit of a process. I couldnt use mine as a complete fert though, has its benefits, but wont work as a substitute for any bases. Just a great addition

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've used it b4 but I can't really say I seen any difference.. But it didn't hurt my plant

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Correction* i never used better worlds, just Organic Nutes insect frass. My bad, got all excited.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Correction* i never used better worlds, just Organic Nutes insect frass. My bad, got all excited.

Do you know what the difference is??

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it would be optimal to grow cannabis in insect/bug frass, it just seems like they said that because they were probably testing ornamental flowers or something. When it comes to cannabis, I think alot more nutrients are needed to reach its full potential, plus the air to water ratio of insect frass probably isn't as good as high quality potting soil or coco.

I know somebody that tried to grow using alot of EWC and cheap potting soil with perlite added, he said his plants were stunted, I told him to go get FF Ocean Forest from the hydro store and not to add anything to it. About 2 weeks later he told me his plants are alot better since he transplanted them into normal potting soil.

I know insect frass is different then EWC, but I don't think cannabis would grow good in any poop, whether its bat guano, earthworm castings or insect frass. IMHO they are amendments to your medium.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it would be optimal to grow cannabis in insect/bug frass, it just seems like they said that because they were probably testing ornamental flowers or something. When it comes to cannabis, I think alot more nutrients are needed to reach its full potential, plus the air to water ratio of insect frass probably isn't as good as high quality potting soil or coco.

I know somebody that tried to grow using alot of EWC and cheap potting soil with perlite added, he said his plants were stunted, I told him to go get FF Ocean Forest from the hydro store and not to add anything to it. About 2 weeks later he told me his plants are alot better since he transplanted them into normal potting soil.

I know insect frass is different then EWC, but I don't think cannabis would grow good in any poop, whether its bat guano, earthworm castings or insect frass. IMHO they are amendments to your medium.

I don't think ts intended as a medium, but they do claim it can be used in a standalone fashion as a nutrient, just adding calmag. No experience doing this, but I do like it on my list of rotating brew amendments.

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't think ts intended as a medium, but they do claim it can be used in a standalone fashion as a nutrient, just adding calmag. No experience doing this, but I do like it on my list of rotating brew amendments.

outwest

Oooooohhh, as a stand alone nutrient, that makes more sense, I assumed he meant as a stand alone medium.

I think it would lack in some areas as a 1-part nutrient because I don't see how insect poop could have all the N-P-K-Ca-Mg-S + all the micro nutrients that cannabis needs, especially during the blooming phase, just doesn't add up IMO. But I'm sure its a great amendment, I would definitely use it for my outdoor grow if it was easily available.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Ya i could never use insect frass as a medium, and i would never suggest to. And as far as a standalone nute, i dont think it is intended for that either. It has an npk of 2-2-2, but i would never use it as a base.

I know that frass not only contains insect castings (which if ur familiar with the soil food web, sometimes it takes an insect to ingest an element,than rid it either in their castings or whether the elements are withheld in its bodies, from there its either root available or eaten up by microbial life and passed on down)but the frass has crushed up insect exoskeletons. The body matter immitates a predator bug when it nears the root system. Ur plant thinks it is being invaded and kicks into over drive sending the metabolism to a high level. Since there is no actual problem to fix, your plant benefits from the boost completely.
The body matter also irritates other predators such as fungus gnats and root aphids. Its almost like a fiber glass to them, also their larva cannot pupate in such harsh environment.
There is other benefits, im not aware of them all. I use it in 3 ways and will never look back: mend in my. soil, mix in my brew, and foliar. Each method has its own trick.Z

Afghi420

Afghi420

that sounds strange.. Your friend must have used way too much EWC if his plants were screwed up, i guess if you tried to grow in pure EWC with just perlite added it would burn the hell out of them most likely. As far as EWC in general, i find them to be a superb additive to the soil mix, or a top dressing or in a tea.. And im just using bagged stuff from the store, if you had the real stuff straight from the worm farm i imagine the results would be even better. I use a soilless mix, this time around i used about 3 good handfuls of earthworm castings, a couple good handfuls of sheep manure, small pinch of chicken manure, spoonfull of myco fungi powder and a good mix of perlite, if your soilless mix didnt have it like mine doesn't. I've got to say i have had great results with this mix, this is in a 3 gallon pot btw. A couple grow's ago i tested a few plants, a few plants i only gave one small handful, a few others i gave about 4 or 5, they say to go about 20-30 % your total medium EWC is safe.. Now i was having problem with all of my plants, but the few that had the extra large dose of EWC were staying 100 % green while every other plant that didn't have the EWC was having major leaf issues. I was sold after that, i now try to atleast make 10-15 % of my mix EWC for sure, or more.. Just my experience using the stuff though, im by far no expert. Here is my current LA Con. a few days ago, very happy..
DSCN1294

Afghi420

Afghi420

Ya i could never use insect frass as a medium, and i would never suggest to. And as far as a standalone nute, i dont think it is intended for that either. It has an npk of 2-2-2, but i would never use it as a base.

I know that frass not only contains insect castings (which if ur familiar with the soil food web, sometimes it takes an insect to ingest an element,than rid it either in their castings or whether the elements are withheld in its bodies, from there its either root available or eaten up by microbial life and passed on down)but the frass has crushed up insect exoskeletons. The body matter immitates a predator bug when it nears the root system. Ur plant thinks it is being invaded and kicks into over drive sending the metabolism to a high level. Since there is no actual problem to fix, your plant benefits from the boost completely.
The body matter also irritates other predators such as fungus gnats and root aphids. Its almost like a fiber glass to them, also their larva cannot pupate in such harsh environment.
There is other benefits, im not aware of them all. I use it in 3 ways and will never look back: mend in my. soil, mix in my brew, and foliar. Each method has its own trick.Z

:) Organics is sweet isnt it.. Im not there myself yet but i will be someday soon. I think once i get into a my own house here soon and out of a rental, and have tons of property around me i will begin doing the organics thing, then i can have a big compost pile outside, have a nice worm farm and all that.. I know someone who just got their worm farm a few days ago, but it's too cold to have the worms shipped yet... I just received the Rev's book as well and will begin reading that soon. I understand the tlo thing somewhat so far.. I am a fan though i bet the bud is amazing, i drool sometimes dreaming of having a big jar of one of the rev's longer sativa's. So what do you use as a tea anyways? As i just mentioned im still using a soilles mix, with lots of EWC and a few handfuls of sheep manure, always had good luck wth this mix, few other things as well, pinch of chicken manure and dolomite lime, and a spoonfgul of myco fungi powder. Im using Earth Juice original Grow+bloom+ catalyst and Neptunes Fish fertilizer, ive got it all dialed in nice now so im not having any real issues which is nice for once.. I need to start reading the Rev's book, atleast i will go into organics with an ok understanding of everything when i do finally start. See ya, have fun.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yeah, thats my point, EWC are great as an amendment to soil, but to use frass or any other poop as a one time nutrient really doesn't supply everything.

Top Bottom