BHO filtering

• Thread starter disposition84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

I've extrated using captured butane from ~32C/90F, to =33C/0F and as you might predict, it extracts more chlorophyll and other water solubles as the temperature increases. Keeping the reaction below the freezing point of water, reduces water soluble pickup, and produces a more pristine extraction.

So for us non chemists....your saying BHO works better (higher quality and yield) at coldr temps.....like below freezing.....

If thats correct, I dont have a freezr to do all this in, but could I take my 1 1/4" extraction tube, and put it inside say a 2" pipe packed with dry ice between the 2" and 1 1/4".....would that create a cold enough enviroment for the bho to work?

Graywolf

Graywolf

A stainless thermos packed in a styrofoam container of dry ice would probably work, better. The trick is keeping the dry ice solid for the duration of the extraction.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I let mine sit at least overnight in a 0F freezer, and get good results.

squiggly

squiggly

A stainless thermos packed in a styrofoam container of dry ice would probably work, better. The trick is keeping the dry ice solid for the duration of the extraction.

I would rather see a dry ice bath--if you have access to enough dry ice. These are really more effective than a non-jacketed dewar construction (a thermos).

For the more advanced folks here is a chart (right of page) that shows temps given by dry ice baths with various solvents.

For this process I'd do either a carbon tetrachloride bath or acetone if you want to go overkill. Once you get the bath to temp, adding more dry ice to the bath around the container being cooled generally keeps for quite awhile. I'll set these up, head out to lunch, come back, top them off, and then head out for the day knowing my reaction will be cooled for the requisite time (usually 3-4 hours). Plus it's cool to see something really cold "boil".

http://www.google.com/url?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_bath#Dry_ice_baths_above_-77.C2.B0C&rct=j&q=dry ice baths&usg=AFQjCNFWlDz8XEu-nflUbvVPJVwA7DvhHA&sa=X&ei=BrYrUNnLGojTyAHzmIDwDg&ved=0CFkQygQwAA

FatZip818OG

FatZip818OG

thoroughly disagree, i personally did side by side with vector 5x, 5x Power, and Calibri
CALIBRI WAS THE WORST LEAVING A DEFINITE AFTER TASTE. VECTOR CAME IN 2ND, AND POWER 5X CAME IN 1ST LEAVING ALL THE FLAVORS OF THE ORIGINAL HERB AND CLEAN DAB UTENSILS AFTER DABBING

mr roboto

mr roboto

Ive been using both with 50 micron screen and filters. I tend to get small pieces of material in my product after using a screen because its hard to clean every speck off even after soaking the screen in iso a few times. Coffee filters is a slower process for the butane to leak out but without pieces of greens in my oil. Its really a matter of preference

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

So for us non chemists....your saying BHO works better (higher quality and yield) at coldr temps.....like below freezing.....
Quality and yield rarely go hand-in-hand.

You'll get a higher yield in a lower potency product because all those undesirables add mass.
Higher quality at lower temps, probably higher yield at higher temps (in environment where pressure is allowed to rise). Water solubles being the biggest culprit as they somehow work their way into the non-polar butane.

Quick Chem Lesson, hope this helps: (I'm no chemist, so feel free to correct)
Water is known as a polar molecule (has magnetic 'pull'), and because of it's geometry/composition is quite polar, thus almost everything dissolves in water given enough time. Butane is non-polar, so that all those things that end up in a water extraction aren't as numerous with butane. Butane has a boiling point (where a liquid converts to gas, or vice versa) below your average ambient temps, so it is a gas unless under pressure. But is has a melting point (where the liquid turns to solid, or vv) well below that of water. So, if you can keep everything below the mp of water, 32, the butane will still be a liquid/gas and can move freely...However all the water solubles will be locked in the ice, because it's really hard to get something with 0% moisture in it, and any water molecules that may have contaminated your line/tank, will be frozen too...So it won't melt the ice, because the liquid is below the mp of the ice. I can see it hard to picture without some chemistry background, but water doesn't melt ice because it is a liquid, it melts it because it is warmer than the mp of water (ice).

Then is the challenge of purging slab at lower temps...The lower the temp the less it wants to leave it's new home.

D

dabcommander

A pair of unbleached coffee filters with a metal screen clamped over em work just fine for me!

RedwoodXtrat

RedwoodXtrat

I freeze the butane overnight at 0F. Seems to work well. I have also noticed that working with open flow tubes in HIGH humidity with un frozen butane pulls chlorophyll. I recently started using a food processor with a short pulse on some material and lowered the micron of the screen. The end product was still a rough green regardless of micron size. It's chlorophyll. My yield neatly doubled... But the color and flavor suffered. We have always been against grinding... We saw a work affiliate first seapate his material, grind it up, extract it free flow, run the pool through a vac funnel( for a Dewax) and turn horrible material bright gold with amazing yields for free flow. He swears by grinding. We tried it. Very high pull, very clean smoke and smell. Brown/green honeycomb. (We only shatter the best). Any tips on color? Confirmed chlorophyll as far as I'm concerned. Even after 30 hours in a vac oven crubled at 132F; green.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Any tips on color? Confirmed chlorophyll as far as I'm concerned. Even after 30 hours in a vac oven crubled at 132F; green.
Lighter the color, the less undesirables...Somewhat strain dependent.
Green is pulling chlorophyll. Only thing in the plant that is green, I think.

S

SiskiyouSam

I have had pretty good luck with using glass tubes that I learned to make using 19mm outer diameter 16mm inner works great every length from 6'' to 36'' packing the material the better quality and the drier I start with the better the product I get in the end. I have found freezing the tubes prior to blasting helps keep the butane in solution as well as help break the oil free from the plant fiber. I usually pack three coffee filters fairly tight in the last couple inches of the tube along with a silk screen. I then wrap the end of the tube with two more coffee filters secured with silicon o-rings. this does create a fair amount of pressure in the tube while blasting making the butane flow slower through the tube and the who pressure is directly related to heat thing makes the pre-freezing tube thing helpful. keep in mind freezing also creates condensation so drier product helps cut down the moisture in the return. I blast only HQ butane dot 2p not 2q, 99.99% pure I like puretane best made in so cal no CFC'S which I heard recently of a person in no cal getting busted on an EPA violation for. plus yuck. into a glass 1/4 inch thick 10x14 pyrex bake pan. thin layers purge out quicker and thicker. in a beaker to slow the reaction if I want it more oily. and use grain alcohol to catalyst the butane if you want it really runny for a pen. I don't have any high tech stuff but I get a product that is as good as anything I have bought in the dispensaries. the most important thing is properly purging. there are many ways that work, just get the butane out. no bubbles. I set my glass pan on three CFL black lights. they seem to keep the temperature at a good level and provide UV. I would like to try a finer filter and a vacuum purge system

L

loungnlou99

That would do it, you are smoking something way stronger than pot and depending on the strains you could get couchlock.

I can't smoke BHO all day every day, else I'd never be able to enjoy a bong hit of weed again!
that's not true at all. Hash and flower are 2 totally different highs. I switch from dabs to flower every other week and each get me as high as I want depending on consumption. Never understood why people think a dab is so much stronger than a J of fire home grown. Oh and edibles are the ones that fuck u up the most. Just diff levels to people who smoke for fun and smoke to make it through the day without collapsing in pain or mental issues. Find many disabled veterans can have quality lives while smoking more than most would imagine. But if u don't smoke every day several times a day ur recreational. Nothing wrong with it but ur gonna feel stuff diff prob.

Top Bottom