Big Alcohol Moving In?

• Thread starter The Shivers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SynapSemilia

SynapSemilia

This seems to be an inevitable situation in most recreational (and soon to be) states.... The sheer potential of the markets has investors (the good and the bad ones) literally drooling over everything from cultivation to producing special MMJ packaging, there is a lot of money involved and will be more in the years to come.

The looming threat of Big Alcohol, or Tobacco, or Pharma, or any "Big" industry getting into the booming weed business is no longer a menace, it has become reality and consumers need to be aware of it.

If you're lucky enough to live in a legal state, you carry the responsibility of setting the rules on how pot should be distributed and sold! It depends on your buying practices and your voice to clearly state the legal marijuana industry won't stand for the unequal, unjust and simply wrong way of doing business that these industries have displayed to be their standard for the past years!
You can vote with your wallet (the only vote Wall Street respects) to ensure the goods you're buying aren't filling the pockets of the already-rich with more money, but going to dedicated and honest farmers that want the marijuana industry to thrive and bring jobs (as well as remedies) to millions of people, instead of bringing millions of dollars to a few people.

Itsmychoice

Itsmychoice

I agree and it seems the only thing we will have left is a high grade boutique market available to those who are paying attention to the details in life. For me I will focus on quality and hope that in the age of technology the end users will be informed with truthful information and take the time and effort to make the good choice instead of the convient one.

SynapSemilia

SynapSemilia

Same here, the only chance for true farmers to make a living will be from picky consumers (cannaisseurs if you will) ready to pay top dollar for premium product.

But don't me get wrong, I am fully convinced the "Industry" will take over and within 5 years of recreational legalization, 80% of the market will "belong" to 20% of the brands. It's unrealistic to think otherwise, there will always be a demand for cheaper product and ,as production improves and expands, any "grower" with a couple thousand square feet will be able to churn out hundreds of kgs a year.

Is this a bad thing? Personally I'm torn...
Buying brick-weed off the streets isn't a great option, and the cartel or gangs behind that product aren't any better than the bankers and lobbyists behind Big Industry. Some people say "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't"; following this logic it would be better to stick to illegal practices than turn to a new, potentially more dangerous but at the same time more awesome, system of fully legalized, recreational cannabis...

I'll take the risk of seeing where the current movement takes us but when my turn comes around (and I pray it will soon) trust that I will be getting as involved as possible in writing the damn law and fighting to preserve the artisanal and passionate scene from the claws of those fat-cap industry bosses out to make a quick buck.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

It is an inevitability that the industry will be taken over by giant corporations. However, this doesn't necessarily spell the end for small boutique places. I 100% agree with @SynapSemilia that the only way we can truly vote these days are with our dollars. If you don't shop at Walmart, you probably won't buy your bud from the Walmart of cannabis. In my mind, legalization is the top priority, after that we can worry about big companies taking their slice; but make no mistake, they will take their slice, and keeping marijuana illegal for fear of it being co-opted is nonsense. I'm no fan of big business and their practices, but they aren't decapitating and hanging civilians in the street for refusing to work with them.

In many areas, the focus is moving away from large companies to small ones, and I think the younger generations have caught on to the fact that cheaper is not better. Whether it's farm to table food or artisan furniture, there is now more than ever before an opportunity for small businesses to make their impact on the market if they offer a truly unique and solid product. While their profits will never ever ever come close to that of big corporations, it is entirely possible for small local shops to thrive if they offer a great product or a unique service and can foster a sense of pride in their community.

Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown

I care more about legalizing and putting an end to people being jailed or fined for using then I do about who gets to make the money off of it. If the goal is to lagalize nationally I don't see how you will keep corporate money out of it. I do however think it's much more likely to get federal legalization now that there are large corporations wanting in on the action.

Latest posts

Top Bottom