Big Boy Replacement Filter?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I have been running a Big Boy water filter made by HydroLogic for the last year. I noticed my ppms were getting up to 180-190 and decided to order a new carbon filter. I was recommended the KDF85 which supposedly has a higher efficiency than the standard carbon filter for the Big Boy. The Sediment filter is supposedly reusable. In the past my tap water is around 120-140 ppm (sometimes more depending on the season) and I get a good 60-90 ppm out of the filter, when it was new.

Upon taking the filter housing open, the sediment filter was covered in algae and falling apart a little. I washed the sediment filter and cleaned with bleach. I just ordered a new sediment filter, but decided to replace the carbon filter now and go ahead and use it (I need water). I let it run for a few hours to get all the carbon particulate out of the filter.

Now I am getting 250+ ppms out of the filter?!?! I just re-calibrated my Hanna meter to make sure I'm not crazy. Did I do something wrong? Is my sediment filter just totally fucked? I don't even think my source water is 250 ppm. Either my filter is fucked, or my Hanna meter is fucked, what the fuck!?!?

I should have the new sediment filters in tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

had something like this happen once
was freaking out until i realized i switched my good water and bad water hoses around
sounds like ur better off using tap until its fixed

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It may depend on the new carbon filter, the type (and form) of carbon is what I'm thinking. If it's granular, was there a lot of black carbon dust coming out of it? If it's a block that shouldn't happen. Did you reinstall the old sediment filter? It sounds like it was coming apart a bit. Assuming you hooked the hoses back up correctly then those are the two areas I would be concerning myself with.

B

BuckeyeFieldSup

Sediment filters and carbon filters are not designed to remove dissolved solids. That's done by a reverse osmosis membrane.

Top Bottom