Big difference between coco and peat based soilless mediums?

• Thread starter Relaxed420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Relaxed420

So decided to jump in and give some coco a try, I have grown in soil and soil less mediums and coco seems to be pretty close to a peat style soil less medium. It seems that coco can have cal/mag issues if the ph get's out hand, but are their other things a new coco grower should look out for, like any special things to do to prep or not do so you can reuse without issues? I plan to use the canna line of nutrient with a few others I have used in the past, like sweet not sure if I want to go raw or citrus, gravity, Kool bloom both liquid and powder...

I'm a little behind the 8ball and the room is not done yet and the plants are growing pretty nicely so far, just got some coco and mixed up some perilite 80/20 and transplanted some seedlings and some master kush clones a buddy shot my way.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The Ca-Mg issues with coco have far less to do with pH, have everything to do with the medium itself as it locks onto Ca & Mg with a vengeance, thusly requiring not only a good charge (assuming it's not a brand that has been pre-charged) before planting with said elements, but continual additions of Ca-Mg during almost all phases of growth.

Some brands of coco also require a good rinsing.

Coco is rather high in K levels, so nutrients must be adjusted accordingly. Finally, coco itself will not affect pH the same way peat can. I don't know what pH levels are best for feeding in other soilless media, I've done coco (pretty religious about a 5.8-6.2 range there) and perlite hempies and to this point that's it for soilless.

A basic, but good primer (outside of hitting the threads of people like leadsled) is to be found at the Integral Hydro site:

Top Bottom