Big Kahuna or a XXXL Vented Hood?

• Thread starter budnasty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budnasty

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on putting a Big Kahuna or a XXXL Vented Hood :confused0054: in a 3x4x7 Cab running a 600w HPS?

M

mrgreenthumb

i would probably go with a blockbuster in there..they are perfectfor a 4x4 area

B

budnasty

Do you think that the bigger hoods would be overkill.... the reason I want a huge one in my cab is because ive read many threads about people putting a 600w in theirs and having heating issues. I figure the bigger the hood the easier air would flow. Or am I completely wrong about that?

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Xxxl has the biggest foot print and the least amount of lit focusing. So perfect for 1000w and sog grows.

But if you want a more focused light useful when growing bushes and small trees, ie plants that have been vegged for a short time then the blockbuster is best as it has the highest focus / penetration power of al the hoods.

I run 2 600 w cooled in blockbusters cooled by a Tds silent 8 inch. In dr150 runs at 5-6 deg above ambient.

B

budnasty

In my 3x4 i plan on first doing a scrog then a sog. So with that the xxxl would be the best bet.

I

ibTheMan

Blockbuster 6 is perfect, XXXL 6 the bomb, 8's in either on aint as cool.

S

swisscheese

Big Kahunas are imo better than most if not the best reflector on the market especially considering HTG's package prices for ballast, bulb, and socket. You can adjust the socket placement up, down, forward, and back in the hood. The larger size does help keep temps lower and big kahunas can be vented chimney style or straight through. I'm not going to claim 2 a light I'm not that good yet but 1 per light is a no brainer with these hoods. They are very heavy and need to be hung securely but lay perfectly flat because of the weight instead of twisting like smaller lighter reflectors. Everything is from my personal experience so take it for what it's worth. They actually make a 3x3' reflector the Big Daddy but I personally think a square is not the best way to reflect a long thin cylindrical bulb.

B

budnasty

I thank all of you for your input and i have decided to go with the Big Kahuna. When I return home and start my first grow I will definitely post a Journal. Thank you all for your input once again!

B

budnasty

Sorry one more thing what fan do you recommend for the Big Kahuna. Do you think a Stanley blower will be sufficient enough to keep the temps down in the cab? I was thinking of putting 2 inside the cab..... One for the hood and one for the cab.

Latest posts

Top Bottom