Big plant wilting and dying from heat stress. smells bad. Need help asap!

• Thread starter mkweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mkweed

mkweed

Hello! As the title says, My large plant, Purple Queen, is wilting and looks likes its dying. My other plant is doing just fine.
The stems are flopping over and bending and it looks like its bad damage

• Im using DWC, LED 1200w (600w hps equivocal) light about 15 inches away from the plant
  • PH is being balanced properly I think. Maybe a day or so it might go over 6
  • Windburn is possiblity but this looks a lot more serious than my tiny fan causing all this. I have since turned it off
  • Humidity is at about %50 right now
  • There is a very strong odor and it smells bad. Cant describe it well. Almost smells like fish or something
  • I see no mold or growth on the plant itself or on the roots
I came home to see the window unit exhaust had fallen out and the room was at 85F. It looked sad, with the leaves shrunken up and curling in different ways.
It was nute day so I had to change the nutrients out i gave it my normal amount.

I'm assuming its heat stress because it has had 0 signs of problems until it reached that temperature. It just happen to be the first hot day after a cold week and the exhaust duct fell inside.

Any solutions to the stems falling over and hurting them selves? what could be causing all of this and will she recover?

Its such a big plant I really dont want to lose it!
Yesterday:
20200304_192042.jpg
20200304_192100.jpg

Here they are today
:
20200305_144231.jpg

Plant in the same tent but is fine:
Big plant wilting and dying from heat stress smells bad need help asap 4

11Hick11

11Hick11

Hard to tell with those pics but i think your right with heat stress...., ive had heat way higher than that though and no issues....but a few questions:
1) Are there burnt/brown marks on the leaves? Like really bad nute burn?
2) What temp did your water get to?
3) The smell comeing from the water or the plant itself?

If it was me I'd change that water quick but im not familiar with DWC so take that with a grain of salt.

mkweed

mkweed

don’t think it’s heat stress, maybe needs some watering, it’s odd though.
photos without the purple light would help!
Sure. Let me grab some.
Do you have some suggestions of what it might be?
20200305 174409
20200305 174421

mkweed

mkweed

Hard to tell with those pics but i think your right with heat stress...., ive had heat way higher than that though and no issues....but a few questions:
1) Are there burnt/brown marks on the leaves? Like really bad nute burn?
2) What temp did your water get to?
3) The smell comeing from the water or the plant itself?

If it was me I'd change that water quick but im not familiar with DWC so take that with a grain of salt.
1) there on some of the lower leaves but i assumed that was just natural for the plants to defoliate a few weak stems here and there
2) It must of been around the same as the ambient temperature of the tent about 82F - 85F
3) The smell seems to be coming from the plant it self. The water smells about how it usually smells. I just replaced it yesterday.
I seem some forum posts maybe hinting towards using half or qaurter nutes instead of my usual mix

mkweed

mkweed

meant new water
Ok I will probably put in new water tonight just to reduce the amount of nutes in there. I did this yesterday because thats when I refill the nutes, every Wednesday.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
meant new water
generally being droopy and kinda lifeless is in need of water/food. but your in hydro?
i hope it bounces back soon which it will, it’s more like are you gonna be ok? lots of knowledgeable help on the farm.
i thought you were in soil

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
generally being droopy and kinda lifeless is in need of water/food. but your in hydro?
i hope it bounces back soon which it will, it’s more like are you gonna be ok? lots of knowledgeable help on the farm.
thanks for posting clear photos!!
it helps!

mkweed

mkweed

Sorry I would edit the OP and clarify but I cant.
DWC = Deep Water Culture

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Sorry I would edit the OP and clarify but I cant.
DWC = Deep Water Culture
i re read your post and ya you wrote it there my bad.
i’m sure the farm will have you all better soon.

mkweed

mkweed

i re read your post and ya you wrote it there my bad.
i’m sure the farm will have you all better soon.
haha I hope they do help. Id be pretty sad if this beast dies. its so massive for a first time grow.
Its stressful trying to figure it out.

I'm starting to think its:
  • Light stress
  • Heat & Humidity stress
  • Nutrient issues

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello! As the title says, My large plant, Purple Queen, is wilting and looks likes its dying. My other plant is doing just fine.
The stems are flopping over and bending and it looks like its bad damage

• Im using DWC, LED 1200w (600w hps equivocal) light about 15 inches away from the plant
  • PH is being balanced properly I think. Maybe a day or so it might go over 6
  • Windburn is possiblity but this looks a lot more serious than my tiny fan causing all this. I have since turned it off
  • Humidity is at about %50 right now
  • There is a very strong odor and it smells bad. Cant describe it well. Almost smells like fish or something
  • I see no mold or growth on the plant itself or on the roots
I came home to see the window unit exhaust had fallen out and the room was at 85F. It looked sad, with the leaves shrunken up and curling in different ways.
It was nute day so I had to change the nutrients out i gave it my normal amount.

I'm assuming its heat stress because it has had 0 signs of problems until it reached that temperature. It just happen to be the first hot day after a cold week and the exhaust duct fell inside.

Any solutions to the stems falling over and hurting them selves? what could be causing all of this and will she recover?

Its such a big plant I really dont want to lose it!
Yesterday:
View attachment 947429View attachment 947430
Here they are today
:View attachment 947431

Plant in the same tent but is fine:
View attachment 947433
I'm not a hydro guy but I was; because you said smell check for root rot

mkweed

mkweed

I'm not a hydro guy but I was; because you said smell check for root rot
The roots are pearly white. I have poured hydrogen peroxide on it once every day or every two days as well (not overkill).
Also the inside of the bucket doesn't smell bad. Smells normal inside the bucket

Is there any symptoms other than root rot that might have a smell issue to it.

11Hick11

11Hick11

Ya, now that looks different to me. Upper left of the 1st new pic is not heat stress. Looks like a burn.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm not a hydro or DWC guy, but the plant looks like it needs water. If it's growing in water, that either means the roots are bad (but you say they are OK) or something is stopping water from getting into the roots. Can you check the PPM in the water? Too high of nutrient levels can reverse the osmosis process by which roots uptake water and nutrients. If it gets too salty (most nutrients are a salt form of the main nutrient to make it water soluble), it pulls water out of the plant, making it look droopy and in need of a drink. The fishy/amonia smell is usually associated with something rotting, as in roots and stuff, but yours sound OK and the smell is not in the water... could it just be the early smell of the strain coupled with stress? I would replace the water in this particular pant if possible and see what happens.

11Hick11

11Hick11

Yes, im only saying that because look how high up on the plant it got over night. Those leaves up top look crispy already to me. Like i said though, im not familiar with DWC at all so please wait untill someone thats used that can help you out.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Honestly all the white tops look like bleaching from light intensity! But im not 100%

It wouldnt explain the smell that you are describing.

But i wouldnt doubt it has something to do with heat stress seeing how the leaves are all mangled up!

How long ago did you see signs of this? And did it seems to happen over night? Or did it happen over time?

Do you know what the temp of the water was when all this was going on?

It will most likely bounce back! Your gonna be really hurt on weight though! Your plants going through massive amounts of stress at the worst possible time!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Honestly all the white tops look like bleaching from light intensity! But im not 100%

It wouldnt explain the smell that you are describing.

But i wouldnt doubt it has something to do with heat stress seeing how the leaves are all mangled up!

How long ago did you see signs of this? And did it seems to happen over night? Or did it happen over time?

Do you know what the temp of the water was when all this was going on?

It will most likely bounce back! Your gonna be really hurt on weight though! Your plants going through massive amounts of stress at the worst possible time!
Heat stress usually causes the leaves to fold like a taco or a canoe, in my experience. To me, this looks like a serious nutrient overdose. If it was burned by heat, there would be obvious heat damage and crispness, not the tangled look that is isually reserved for overdoses. Any chance some products got mixed up or mixed up incorrectly?

Latest posts

Top Bottom