Big plants - how to? Need your thoughts!

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BCrocker

BCrocker

Now after everyones advice and reading here, I believe they are way too tall, too stretched out, and most likely the strain is weak as well. Nodes are so far apart.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Here is the other room, these are just kicked now... Again, only pinched once and they don't look very good to me.

POST A1
POST A2
POST A3
POST A4
BCrocker

BCrocker

Pics up! Need thoughts on growing big plants

here is the veg area, 8x600

Ya, it's not very tidy. But it is bug free. Bigger ones are about 6 weeks, smaller ones are about 4 weeks.

POST C1
POST C2
POSt C3
K

kushtrees

ever considered vegging with vert bulbs if ur doing trees? I recently switched to this (I have 2 600s with a circle of plants around em) and it makes it a lot easier to train them how you want imo cuz the light is coming from the same angle it will be in flower instead of from the top. Plants grow differently wen u light the sides instead of the top.

With trees I run the checker board pattern and starting early veg I top, super crop LST and deleaf. I get pretty brutal so I can shape the plants how I want in veg. I also make sure that plants with a back to the wall have all there branches either trimmed or LSTd to the sides where light will be coming from. You can create tigher internode spacing through closer day/night temps, defoilating and training in general Ive found. If you want a tree you dont have to train and control you need a very good strain that grows just how you want.

hope this helps some!

BCrocker

BCrocker

ever considered vegging with vert bulbs if ur doing trees? I recently switched to this (I have 2 600s with a circle of plants around em) and it makes it a lot easier to train them how you want imo cuz the light is coming from the same angle it will be in flower instead of from the top. Plants grow differently wen u light the sides instead of the top.

With trees I run the checker board pattern and starting early veg I top, super crop LST and deleaf. I get pretty brutal so I can shape the plants how I want in veg. I also make sure that plants with a back to the wall have all there branches either trimmed or LSTd to the sides where light will be coming from. You can create tigher internode spacing through closer day/night temps, defoilating and training in general Ive found. If you want a tree you dont have to train and control you need a very good strain that grows just how you want.

hope this helps some!

Maybe I should hang those 600's vert for the veg, makes sense. Just that room is a mylar tent, 10x17 I think. It works OK.

When you say 'defoilating' , to create tighter internode spacing. Can you elaborate on how to do that?

Currently, the plants I have to the wall are being rotated or swapped around.

I am looking into other strains! Although, at the end of the day they might not have the bag appeal I require.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
They look fine to me...But Im a newbie so I don't know much

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

from the pics seems, you have a serious powdery mold problem in your vegg room or you like to sprinkle chalk all over your plants,,,,,,Looks like you have plenty of room in your vegg room to go straight into 15 gallons pots,,,,,,a 3 gallon roots size in a 15 gal pot still gives you a 3 gallon yeild

K

kushtrees

theres a huge thread on ICmag about defoiliation talking about how to do it what it achieves etc. I was weary about trying it just because cutting off leaves all the time will extend veg, but the results are nice. I dont employ the technique as much I could probably but I like what I got

Heres the link
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

my favorite part is that it opens up more light to other branches which in turn encourages there growth making for denser plant which when doing big trees is great.

My deleaf schedule is... In veg I remove lots of fans which ever ones seem like they are blocking light or are from branches that need to slow down. I stop all HST 1-2 weeks (2 weeks for topping, 1 for deleafing) before flip to make sure they are at tip top shape for flower. Then I will do light deleafing up to day 21 to control stretch, then day 21 I strip any growth that will be popcorn and deleaf any big fans that are blocking light from other colas (an idea from mrdizzle as to the best day to last strip the leaves). So far its working well Ive only done one run this way, but it is magnitudes better then when I let them do there own thing

M

mrdizzle

I tried the defoil in veg, I think it works nicely, i dont do it super aggressive but a little goes a long way. I do it in veg then once at day 21 of flower without compromising stretch or budsize

believe others are right about vegging with vertical, it doesnt have to be the whole time, but I find one month of overhead, follwed by one month of vertical in veg will give you some serious bushes. with the overhead lighting, I find defoil is good to do, you want the plants to not be soo crammed that they grow straight up without shooting out side branches, defoil helps that but so does a little extra space inbetween plants

also, I would either go with transplant into the 15gals after one month of veg, that way your plants get about 5weeks to spit roots into those containers, instead of 5days. the plants will blow up with that established root zone.

I also find that keeping the socket of the bulb at the top bud is a good height so that the plants grow both up and out

nice room by the way

BCrocker

BCrocker

Thx for the advice guys. We will be switch to some horizontal bulbs and some vert. Pinching like mad, supercropping if needed.

Vegging 4 weeks in 5 gals, 4 weeks in 10 gals, transplant to 15's, veg 1 more week tops, then kick.

Vegging with 1000watt bulbs instead of 600w.

Btw, its not mildew lol, it was a too concentrated spinosad spray.

Latest posts

Top Bottom