biodiesel powered generator growing

• Thread starter keroseen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

keroseen

Hey Farmers.

Thought I'd start the 40000'th thread on the posibilites of doing an economical grow with a generator.

I've looked at it many times in the past and it's never been worth it but with biodiesel makers and waste oil available pretty cheaply I've been thinking about it again.

OK so to start you would need a decent biodiesel maker which can produce say 100 litre batches which will stand you around £1000.

Then you'd need lets say for a 4x600 grow a 3kw diesel generator around £800.

Say £200 for chemicals n shit to start the bio machine and you're up and running for around £2K which is nothing in the context of growing.

OK a decent economical 3Kw diesel generator will use around 1 litre per hour to make 3kw, so 12 litres per day in your bloom room. If you want to veg in the main room as well obviously you're gonna use a bit more during veg.

OK it costs approx 15p to produce a litre of biodiesel x by 12 hours = £1.80 per day or £12.60 per week to run a 2.4kw grow.

£12.60 x 8 = £100.80 for an 8 week bloom period.

So thats basically £100 to power a grow that will give you 85oz if you know what you're doing.

This is assuming you can find waste veg oil for nothing. If not waste oil can be purchased for around 30p per litre and then obviously you'd triple your cost to £300 per cycle.

£300 to produce 85oz, food for thought.

KS

P

ProGroWannabe

That's a good run-down of the costs, keroseen. For me, there are only two real caveats to using a generator. Like you said, the first one is the cost of fuel---whatever fuel that might be. The second one for me is the friggin noise! There must be quiet ones out there, but I haven't heard one yet.....lol...there's a pun.

How are you thinking of getting the noise levels down?

K

keroseen

ripz yeah it makes you think eh

ProGroWannabe m8 if i was going to do it i would put the gen inside an insulated shed or garage and i would also build an insulated box to house the gen. i'd then cut ventilation holes and use a duct fan to change the air in the box, same as a growroom.

good silenced generators are rated at approx 70db @ 7m so with a bit of thought they could be run with very little noise pollution.

KS

P

ProGroWannabe

Hmmmm good info there keroseen. I had thought about a shed of some type too. I'm just a little paranoid about noise, that's all. I also thought about putting one underground, like in a root-cellar type-of enclosure. That would cut down on the noise for sure...but then it's more work and more money too.

hubcap

hubcap

wheres my granola eatin american brethern?

im ready to implement your ideas!!!

french fry grease....
solar.....
civil nuclear flux capacitors....

im ready to get off the grid

TELL ME HOW!!
(cheaply, safely, and efficiently)

-hubcap-

C

CharlesSprkleaf

inquiry minds what to know and see it.. you should try it.

O

Obsoul33t

look into an mq ultra whisperwatt generator . the 24kv use about 1 gl of fuel per hour and sound level of 56db @ 7 meters

by my calcs to run a diesel genny costs about half as much to generate nearly double for what paying the power company cost

i can run 12k for half of what 6k would cost to run add to that hho gas and the costs go way down .

multiquip whisperwatt is the rolls royce of generators they make three level of sound dampening the standard whisperwat , ultra quiet whisperwatt and the crawford studio series . the crawford is in the 40db range but the cost is nearly triple what the ultra goes for .

N

Nuglover

I've got a 5Kw gen that I use as a backup during long power outages(hurricanes, etc.).
I dig a hole in the ground,drop it in, put an extention for the exhaust,and put a sheet of plywood w/styrofoam over the hole. Dampens the sound very well. My dream is a couple of 5Kw wind turbines w/battery backup. Quiet, efficient, and reliable. Just not cheap

K

keroseen

damn, 40db @7m thats quieter than a growroom exhaust fan! cheers m8 i'll look into those gens 4 sure.

hey nuglover i was looking at 5kw wind turbines today, man that would be the ultimate dream come true.

KS

hubcap

hubcap

look into an mq ultra whisperwatt generator . the 24kv use about 1 gl of fuel per hour and sound level of 56db @ 7 meters

by my calcs to run a diesel genny costs about half as much to generate nearly double for what paying the power company cost

i can run 12k for half of what 6k would cost to run add to that hho gas and the costs go way down .

multiquip whisperwatt is the rolls royce of generators they make three level of sound dampening the standard whisperwat , ultra quiet whisperwatt and the crawford studio series . the crawford is in the 40db range but the cost is nearly triple what the ultra goes for .

good post!
-hubcap-

hubcap

hubcap

LOL

i can already see it....

GM comes out with 'cracked out' hamsters to up the 'hamsterpower'

LOL

where do you find this shit!!!??

too funny

Latest posts

Top Bottom