Biological Control/orius Laevigatus/minute Pirate Bug

• Thread starter Shroomtrips
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Hi everyone. So ive been battling thrips for good 2 weeks now, but im unable to eradicate them. So i started thinking about introducing predatory bugs to my tent. Ive purchased 500 minute pirate bugs, released a goood few of them just now. Im 10 days since flip, i can see the buds forming now. My question and worry is if these beneficial bugs will infest my buds, start laying eggs in there etc etc. I cant find much information on this matter, but bugs themselves are regarded as beneficial by growers.

P

PharmHand

Hi everyone. So ive been battling thrips for good 2 weeks now, but im unable to eradicate them. So i started thinking about introducing predatory bugs to my tent. Ive purchased 500 minute pirate bugs, released a goood few of them just now. Im 10 days since flip, i can see the buds forming now. My question and worry is if these beneficial bugs will infest my buds, start laying eggs in there etc etc. I cant find much information on this matter, but bugs themselves are regarded as beneficial by growers.
They won’t hurt your buds in any way. There’s no prey left they die. They eat other bugs not plants.... And for future reference cucumeris work best for thrips. Good luck mang

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

I forgot to mention that i introduced amblyseus cucumeris to my tent aswell. Im relieved to hear that they are no threat to buds :)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Try dawn dish soap 5 tablespoons to a gallon with a dash of vegetable oil. I used that treatment on an aphid infestation a few weeks ago. Totally killed them off with a weeks treatment. Spray with lights out.

P

PharmHand

I forgot to mention that i introduced amblyseus cucumeris to my tent aswell. Im relieved to hear that they are no threat to buds :)
You should be good if you released sufficient numbers. They really do work, just don’t spray anything now that may hurt them as cucumeris are mites and will be hurt by mite treatments. Predator bugs are awesome and work great if you’re a clean grower. Cheers

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

When you say sufficient numbers, how many per square m is that?

You should be good if you released sufficient numbers. They really do work, just don’t spray anything now that may hurt them as cucumeris are mites and will be hurt by mite treatments. Predator bugs are awesome and work great if you’re a clean grower. Cheers

P

PharmHand

When you say sufficient numbers, how many per square m is that?
Honestly I don’t know how many is enough. I put roughly 5x (or more) what the bug vendor recommends- especially if I’m trying to eradicate a known infestation. Prune off the damaged leaves cuz it’s likely where they’ve laid their eggs. They cut a little slice in the plant tissue and lay their eggs inside, then the tissue heals back over covering the eggs. The cucumeris can detect thrips larvae about to hatch then wait and bite their heads off as they emerge. You’ve got the pirate bugs as well ,which I’ve never used, that’ll provide control too( if they’re listed for thrips?). Go hard basically, predators work fantastic for prevention, for eradication it will take more

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

I bought 25k cucumeris and 500 orius for my 4 sqm tent. Orius kills adult thrips, cucumeris is for eggs/larvae i read. We will see.

P

PharmHand

I bought 25k cucumeris and 500 orius for my 4 sqm tent. Orius kills adult thrips, cucumeris is for eggs/larvae i read. We will see.
Haha yea I think that’s enough cucumeris for 500sqft of control if I remember correctly ,you’ll be surprised how well they work

Top Bottom