Bird's Nest Coco from Roots Organics, a Review

• Thread starter Canvas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Canvas

Has anyone else discovered or tried this stuff?

I just bought two bricks of 'Birds Nest Coco' from Roots Organics, the following is the official web page:

That pic in the ad does not do it justice, they should have shown a much wider angle.

This stuff is pure fiber strands, no sponge at all. I started my investigation by pulling it apart by hand, which was not even possible with Botanicare Cocogro. Trying to separate it, can be a tad difficult, it wants to clump up into half inch to 2 inch clumps. When wet, it does not sponge up water. Instead, the water run right through it, more like perlite than regular coco. To gauge the root feel of my medium, I commonly poke my finger in the dirt, the fibers tend to catch and impede a smooth poke. To really get my fingers in it, I need to wriggle them. Grabbing a clump of fiber in my hand, squeezing it, water runs out, so it does hold some raw mosture. It's too soon to see how it dries out, I will report back tomorrow.

So wish I had a camera... still a forum nub.

C

Canvas

So, now I am thinking of how to use it.

Not for starting seeds, it's much to porous.

I also have some Roots Organics Coco Chips, busy comparing those to the Bird's Nest right now.

Should I try using this stuff straight?
Or cut it with the Botanicare Cocogro stuff I have?

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

i got a bale of sunleaves coco a couple years ago and it was just like that. my plants hated it and i think i might have tossed that round in veg, i dont remember. it might add some aeration to other mixes, maybe thats what its for. i'd mix it with regular coco.

St3ve

St3ve

I actually have some of the sunleaves stuff now that is similar. I'm actually liking it because it DOESN'T hold water like regular coco. I prefer multiple waterings a day and regular coco holds to much water to do that. I have to mix so much perlite in it I would just assume use something like this that is plug n play.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

I used Empire Organics Coco Coir religiously when it was available. Problem I have found with others is high sodium and high chloride. You should do a 1:1.5 v/v EC test. Once you figure this media out nothing else compairs. They key in using high quality low residual nutrients(hg aqua flakes) and find the sweet spot in moisture content. Once dialed no other system or media will give you compairable growth rates and yields. This is hands down the most overlooked media ever most just dont know how to use it..

Top Bottom