Bison Breath - Tent grown, LED lit, Coco+Perlite

• Thread starter PhoSoup
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Hi Everyone,

I dropped 6 seeds into water on 6/5. After they sprouted taproots I planted into Root Riot cubes.

Once the seedlings were starting to poke through the surface I planted the root riot cubes into three 1 gallon pots, and three 3 gallon pots, as that's what I have on hand at the moment.

I'm now on day 12 and the 2nd set of serrated leaves is starting to get some size to them.

Most plants look healthy enough to my inexperienced eyes except one.

Pics coming shortly! ANY ADVICE OR CRITICISM is welcome.

My Setup:
Tent: 4'x4'x6' Gorilla Shorty
Medium: MotherEarth 70/30 Coco/Perlite
Containers: 3x 1gal SmartPot, and 3x 3gal SmartPot
Light: HLG 550 v2 Rspec
Nutes: General Hydroponics FloraMicro + FloraGro + Florabloom + CaliMagic. PH'd 5.5-6.5
Air: AC Infinity Cloudline T6 + Silencer + Carbon filter

My questions right now are...

1) What counts as "day 1"? The day it first started sprouting cotelydons or the day i put the seeds in a cup of water?
I'm trying to follow this feeding schedule, but I think I may have started feeding them too early as I consider myself in week 1, and not week 0?

2) How far away should my light be, and at what setting?
I have raised and lowered my light on different days, and turned it up and down on different days trying to get a "feel" for what's working at this early stage. I've had it no more than 50% and maybe 16" from the plants at max, but am worried I'm baking my young plants as most guides I've read have said to get a separate light for seedlings.

3) When will I need the carbon filter? the one I ordered is back ordered for another few weeks.

4) Is a 3 gallon pot big enough to grow 3 plants to the size they'd need to be for a max yield at my limited height?

Minitiger

Minitiger

1. Day one for me starts the second I put them in the dirt. But I don’t soak my seeds or anything, I just plant them in my soil.

2. I’m not familiar with your light, but I use an Apache AT600 (equivalent to 1100 watts) and I keep mine about eighteen inches away right from the start. Think about it: in nature, seeds fall from plants and start their life under direct sunlight right from the get-go. And in the soil they’ll live their whole life in. That’s why that whole “start your plants under less intense light and in some sort of ‘starter’ soil mix” philosophy is a joke.

3. When your plants start to stink, buy a carbon filter.

4. Are you asking individually? Like one plant each in separate three gallon containers? Or three plants in one three gallon container? If it’s the latter, no. If it’s the former, yes, absolutely. Especially since you’re using that garbage General Hydro bullshit and growing in coco. I’ve seen plenty of people using coco/drain-to-waste type systems and they’ve gotten great yields. I grow completely organically and have used three gallon pots (which they say can’t be done haha) with great success, although I haven’t done that in a while. Been using five or seven gallon airpots for a long time now. But yeah, you can definitely get good results with three gallon pots.

soulz20

soulz20

Sup exciting times for you and your seedlings. Check out my Journal im on the exact same journey as you currently in week 5 of veg.

I started day 1 count from the first set of serrated leaves
in terms of light id suggest starting at 26" and work your way down after reading the plants, no lower than 18".
3 gallon pots are a good starter size in my opinion, however in your tent, you could definitely run 3 - 5 gallon pots easily, and train your plants for height, which is what im doing

In terms of feeding schedule id suggest to use this one instead, its a bit more elaborate and has been working wonders for me in the same 70/30 mix.

Nutes
PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Sup exciting times for you and your seedlings. Check out my Journal im on the exact same journey as you currently in week 5 of veg.

I started day 1 count from the first set of serrated leaves
in terms of light id suggest starting at 26" and work your way down after reading the plants, no lower than 18".
3 gallon pots are a good starter size in my opinion, however in your tent, you could definitely run 3 - 5 gallon pots easily, and train your plants for height, which is what im doing

In terms of feeding schedule id suggest to use this one instead, its a bit more elaborate and has been working wonders for me in the same 70/30 mix.

My apologies about the lack of recent pictures. That will be corrected soon, promise. My plants have pushed out their 3rd set of leaves and are just starting to form the 4th.

Thanks for the feeding schedule man! I don't think I'm 100% happy with the one on GWE.

I have a PPM/EC meter on the way from Amazon, I will order the nutes I don't have and switch to your method ASAP.

I learned today that I have been overfeeding my plants which has caused some ugliness. There's some orange spots on one of the leaves, and the 1st set of leaves on each plant became super dark green and started wilting.

The 2nd and 3rd nodes look much healthier but there is a pale yellowing starting in the center of the leaves.

What the problem was (I think) was that I was using a 2 gallon watering can, but not filling it up to the 2 gallon mark (which i didn't know existed smh). So when I was mixing nutes I was mixing as if I were using 2 gallons of water, but more realistically it was more like 1.65 gallons of water.

I discovered this only after mixing up my next batch of nutes, right after feeding them today :(.

The 1 gallon pots just today have started getting little roots sticking out the sides of them, at the bottom. Going to need to transplant soon I think?

My focus the rest of this week will be dialing down proper nutrient mixing and trying to get these guys looking a little more healthy.

Cheers Growmies!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If ya see roots transplant.

If you have an android phone download "light meter" by my mobile tools dev they should be probably between 15-25k lux at this stage. Its not as good as a par meter or anything but its more than good enough for our use.

Looks like a nice setup and good start... Tagging along for the ride.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
If ya see roots transplant.

If you have an android phone download "light meter" by my mobile tools dev they should be probably between 15-25k lux at this stage. Its not as good as a par meter or anything but its more than good enough for our use.

Looks like a nice setup and good start... Tagging along for the ride.
Anything for iPhone like that?

*edited
Never mind found one.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Make sure you are measuring off a matte sheet of white paper. You could divide by .85 and then convert it to ppfd if you have an idea of spectrum.

(As opposed to pointing at an led)

PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Ok wow. Sorry everyone who bothered reading this back in June.

3 out of the 6 ended up being female, and they're 52 days along in flower.

They are frosty as all hell. I honestly can't believe how well things have turned out.

I have alot more work to do next round in regards to LST and defoliation. I realllllly dropped the ball when I look at pics of other folks' plants....but I was just so terrified of damaging something!

I think I have about a week left of flowering, and then a 3-4 day flush. I will be checking bud shavings in my microscope daily starting this weekend.

Image0

Latest posts

Top Bottom