Black Jumping Spiders Are My New Best Friends.

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MamaBear

Black jumping spiders are my new best friends
I grow GDP and spider mites must come from miles around to get to it. I've had several different strains growing at the same time and GDP is always the most affected. Must be a favorite of theirs.

This year my greenhouse was swarmed by baby black jumping spiders. Was very cool to sit and watch them run up and down the plants, jumping impossible distances from leaf-to-leaf and plant-to-plant. They settled down to 1 spider per plant and kept them completely bug-free. Wonderful fun! Didn't have to spray at all because they took care of everything. Unfortunately, once the plants were "clean", they left and I've had to spray a couple times since then.

So now, whenever I see one in the yard, I catch it in a jar and bring it into the greenhouse and drop it right on a plant. LOVE THESE GUYS!!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Mmmm vaporized spider webs... I wonder if the dabs would give you spidey munchies?

M

MamaBear

Sorry, these don't make webs. They are constantly on the prowl - vicious hunters. AND THEY ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD!!!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

They make webs , I saw one a few days ago hanging from one. Granted, they wont make a huge funnel web on your colas but they have the ability to stick a web to something if they need to. Im never serious, everything is dry here so I make jokes..
I wish I had a good spiderweb right now lol...

DrFever

DrFever

not sure if they would eat mites but if you say so from what i read they appear to go after much larger prey lol
now on other hand if i had a big green house i would apply lady bugs and preying mantises

M

MamaBear

3N1GM4 - I was joking right back at you! (Mini Terminators!) I've seen them drop from a single web too but never a big webby thing they sit in.

DrFever - you are right, they usually like bigger prey but these were a troop of babies, whole nest must have hatched in there. They were tiny little things that must have thought spider mites were perfectly bite-sized. Was fun to watch them run around on the underside of leaves. I could see them stop, gobble up something and then keep looking for more. They grew pretty fast and left before they were full-grown. Maybe because all the "food" was gone or maybe to look for something bigger, don't know. But glad they stopped by!!

H

happy b

Jumping spiders arent ambush or trapping predators like most spiders,they are active hunters.thats why they jump.the porche jumping spider is said to be the smartest insect in the world because of the way it has to think out its hunt.
Jumping spiders look really cute too with theyr 2 huge forward facing eyes which no other spider has.they need the big eyes facing forward to gauge distance on theyr jumps.also they have a fine wed trailing em almost everywere they go.they are very cool imo.

derkaderk

derkaderk

I have a bunch of these and possibly a different variety. I call them gangsta spiders, cause they aren't afraid of people at all, and stand their ground; even jump at you in retaliation.

I leave them alone. Lol

M

MamaBear

Wow! Very cool! Haven't seen one with red before. The ones here are all black or black with bit of white on them. And yes, those 2 big eyes in front are wild!!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I found a pregnant praying mantis and thought about putting her in my tent but there is no food for them in there, praise God, so she went back on the bush.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I've always had jumping spiders,
love 'em--
never seen a red one...

Top_Jimmy

Top_Jimmy

Please don't expose jumping spiders to pesticides. Allow them to help you with organic farming or use chemicals, but not both. These spiders are like no other. They can be social and friendly with humans and actually have personalities. Seriously! The next time you see one, be slow and patient with him or her. Remember, you are huge to them and can be a bit intimidating at first. However, when calm and slow with them, they get very curious. You'll notice them actually looking back at you. Once you are able to coax one onto your hand, it will explore and get to know you. What I am getting at is these little creatures are not your typical arachnids. You will start to get the sense that they actually think and make decisions. You will run into the occasional shy one who will be hard to earn it's trust, but if you are able to, it's one of the coolest things you'll ever experience. It is nothing like a tarantula who just seems to tolerate you at best. These guys actually look forward to your attention eventually. They're truly amazing little life forms. And, there are endless breeds too! So again, please treat them differently than your typical spider. In some ways, they're not really spiders but in a breed all their own. And whatever you do, keep them away from all chemicals, but especially pesticides. They constantly put their feet in their mouths to keep them sticky and will ingest anything they walk in. Keep them safe and enjoy them.

Top_Jimmy

Top_Jimmy

I have a bunch of these and possibly a different variety. I call them gangsta spiders, cause they aren't afraid of people at all, and stand their ground; even jump at you in retaliation.

I leave them alone. Lol

Jumping spiders don't jump at you in retaliation, silly! They're curious and friendly. They never bite unless squeezed. If you find one that jumps to you without coaxing, that is pretty cool. Enjoy these little guys. They're treasures!

Top Bottom