Black Magic Potting Soil?

• Thread starter incogneato
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

A friend gets the whole Black Magic line which isnt much...just an A & B base...a kelp/amino supplement and a p/k boost. Simple...cheap and EXTREMELY concentrated. The kelp/amino supplement is one tsp per 5 gallons. Does what all those supplements from other brands do. Explodes roots in early veg. Makes compact and bushy plants in later veg...early bud set..etc. But its 30 bucks a quart. And the A & B gallon set (no grow and bloom separated) is 60 bucks a gallon set. He uses it with a silica and bioag ful power as other brand supplements along with 5he Blackagic. Coco coir. He doesnt give a shit who sells it. Where it comes from. It works awesome. Just as good as the hydro store brands.Way cheaper and super simple. Its all going big box anyways. Just as the bud will. So yall better get used to it. Tue niche brick and mortar hydro hobby shop will slowly fadw away. Watch and see

P

Pimples

5 to 7.5 ml of each part of Black Magic A & B will put a gallon of tap water at 1.0
to 1.4 EC. At 60 bucks a gallon A & B set. My buddy has the same tap as me. 0.2 EC 7.6 pH. At 6.5 ml per part in a gallon of our water its EC comes out to 1.3...0.2 being the tap. Perfect for vegging plants in coco coir. The kelp/amino supplement is very comcentrated too. A quart is 50 bucks at home depot but only 1 ml per gallon. And its as good as all the others. The soils and coco coir themselves arent much of a deal compared to the hydroponic shop common brands but the base A & B nutrient. ..the kelp/amino supplement. ..and the pk flower booster is WAY cheap and you use less than all the other brands. Iam gonna give em a try. Free samples at the. Hash Bash and my buddy uses the whole line on his 8000 watt garden with 4 different strains and they look just as banging as a crop grown with Canna..H&G...Botanicare...GH...Advanced...Heavy 16 and all the other popular brands. To hell with who makes it or where its sold. I like Home Depot anyways for alot of my growroom and hydroponic construction supplies anyway. And i can walk to the nearest store. They also make a Black Magic standard 10x20 prop tray with root riot/rapid rooter plugs and tray insert cells at 20 bucks a pop. The plugs are taller and deeper than the Riots or Rapids too.

Last edited:
S

sippin

I picked up 6 bags of this to try instead of what I normally use. This soil is not good and made my plants yellow and overall unhappy looking. Stick with Ocean Forest, Sunshine #4, Bcuzz Bales, or Roots 707. I have never had a problem with any of those soils on the same plants . Scots Miracle Grow should stick with pesticides and tomato food.

incogneato

incogneato

I picked up 6 bags of this to try instead of what I normally use. This soil is not good and made my plants yellow and overall unhappy looking. Stick with Ocean Forest, Sunshine #4, Bcuzz Bales, or Roots 707. I have never had a problem with any of those soils on the same plants . Scots Miracle Grow should stick with pesticides and tomato food.
I agree on not supporting Monsanto and I won't be buying anymore now that I know who makes it. Side not though I have some clones that are thriving on it. The darker green plants in the left are in black magic and all the yellowish girls are in botanicare coco. It took me a minute to get the coco girls feed dialed in. They really eat in straight coco! I'm up to 750 ppm and they're still hungry lol.

20170415 053249

D

Dr Bob

I'm growing a dozen plants (outdoors) in Black Magic potting mix ATM. They're all thriving. It's still early in their lifespan (only about six weeks old), but so far, so good. I've only been watering with rainwater (with CalMag added), and I've had absolutely no problems.

I've got a half dozen young red pepper plants potted in the Black Magic mix and they're doing as well as any mix I've used in the past.

I usually use Roots Organic potting mix, but my go-to hydroponics shop stopped carrying it. Saw this stuff in the Depot and grabbed six bags. I'll probably try running a half dozen girls in the Black Magic for the whole season. I've got some Pure Blend Pro Grow and Bloom nutes to use if the BM mix doesn't have enough food in it for a whole life cycle. That's what I've always done with the Roots Organic mix anyways.

I've got enough BM mix left for six plants in 7 gal containers for the outdoor bloom cycle. Since I usually induce flowering early (by rolling them on carts into a dark, ventilated room each day after 12 hours of sunlight), 7 gal containers (or bags) will be plenty big enough to get a few zips from each plant.

Based on how my plants have done so far in this mix, I expect it to work just as well as the Roots Organic mix. The Black Magic is priced about the same as the RO, too...but if I can pick it up at Home Depot, I'm a happy grower.

incogneato

incogneato

I'm growing a dozen plants (outdoors) in Black Magic potting mix ATM. They're all thriving. It's still early in their lifespan (only about six weeks old), but so far, so good. I've only been watering with rainwater (with CalMag added), and I've had absolutely no problems.

I've got a half dozen young red pepper plants potted in the Black Magic mix and they're doing as well as any mix I've used in the past.

I usually use Roots Organic potting mix, but my go-to hydroponics shop stopped carrying it. Saw this stuff in the Depot and grabbed six bags. I'll probably try running a half dozen girls in the Black Magic for the whole season. I've got some Pure Blend Pro Grow and Bloom nutes to use if the BM mix doesn't have enough food in it for a whole life cycle. That's what I've always done with the Roots Organic mix anyways.

I've got enough BM mix left for six plants in 7 gal containers for the outdoor bloom cycle. Since I usually induce flowering early (by rolling them on carts into a dark, ventilated room each day after 12 hours of sunlight), 7 gal containers (or bags) will be plenty big enough to get a few zips from each plant.

Based on how my plants have done so far in this mix, I expect it to work just as well as the Roots Organic mix. The Black Magic is priced about the same as the RO, too...but if I can pick it up at Home Depot, I'm a happy grower.
I'm gonna run these the whole grow in it too. 9 in 3 gal smart pots. If they get hungry I'll give em some Nectar For the Gods that I'm feeding my coco girls.

P

Pimples

Your nuts and you dont know how to use it.

P

Pimples

I agree on not supporting Monsanto and I won't be buying anymore now that I know who makes it. Side not though I have some clones that are thriving on it. The darker green plants in the left are in black magic and all the yellowish girls are in botanicare coco. It took me a minute to get the coco girls feed dialed in. They really eat in straight coco! I'm up to 750 ppm and they're still hungry lol.

View attachment 691551
Where do you guys get this shit from? For the hundredth time...Monsanto doesnt own Black Magic. They dont own GH. They dont own any of the Hydroponic Hobby companies. They have done business in the past with Scotts. Thats it. Nothing more nothing less.

incogneato

incogneato

Where do you guys get this shit from? For the hundredth time...Monsanto doesnt own Black Magic. They dont own GH. They dont own any of the Hydroponic Hobby companies. They have done business in the past with Scotts. Thats it. Nothing more nothing less.
I'm not sure where I said they did. Smoke up and relax bro, its gonna be ok. And it not in the past brother, they still do business today.

Galvatron

Galvatron

It looks like Black Magic is made by Scott's Miracle-Gro CEO Jim Hagedorn.

Scott's history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scotts_Miracle-Gro_Company
Monsanto and Scott's are partners:

P

Pimples

I stand corrected. Just left my pals and we "played" with the Black Magic line with a Blue Lab Combo Meter. One tsp per part to a gallon of water is exactly 1.1 ec. With the all purpose supplement (which is relabeled Floralicious Plus but 50 bucks a quart ) at one ml. a gallon of water its good to go at 1.3 ec. ph drops to 6.5 like all the other nute brands with our water. Throw in some silica and a humic/fulvic and you got a banging base nutrient system that is extremely affordable for coco coir..peat...rockwool..or water based hydroponics. With the dilution rates this stuff is cheaper than just about anything out there. Sans Jacks or the newish powders. The other stuff they got at Home Depot not so much. The 3.8 cu ft. bail of peat mix (promix basically) was a whopping 45 bucks. Cmon. The 1.5 cu ft. of coco/perlite was 20 bucks. The heavily amended "potting soil" looks to be quality at 14 bucks i believe. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive. I will stick to brick coco by Canna. Black Magic also sells 5 and 10 gallon fabric pots with handles but forget it. The 10 gallon ones are a whopping 12 bucks if i remember. Can get those way cheaper and not my size for coco anyways. But the base nutes and 2 supplements are dirt cheap. They also have a bagged powder all organic top dress fertilizer. Forget the price in that one but it sounds decent. Especially for out door.

Last edited:
G

GeoGrow

Using BM for first time with the felt bags, lost one to root rot or something. Some of my tomatoes also show signs of yellowing of the lower leaves. Don't know if I overwatered or something else is going on.

Plants
E

Elmoreno711

5 to 7.5 ml of each part of Black Magic A & B will put a gallon of tap water at 1.0
to 1.4 EC. At 60 bucks a gallon A & B set. My buddy has the same tap as me. 0.2 EC 7.6 pH. At 6.5 ml per part in a gallon of our water its EC comes out to 1.3...0.2 being the tap. Perfect for vegging plants in coco coir. The kelp/amino supplement is very comcentrated too. A quart is 50 bucks at home depot but only 1 ml per gallon. And its as good as all the others. The soils and coco coir themselves arent much of a deal compared to the hydroponic shop common brands but the base A & B nutrient. ..the kelp/amino supplement. ..and the pk flower booster is WAY cheap and you use less than all the other brands. Iam gonna give em a try. Free samples at the. Hash Bash and my buddy uses the whole line on his 8000 watt garden with 4 different strains and they look just as banging as a crop grown with Canna..H&G...Botanicare...GH...Advanced...Heavy 16 and all the other popular brands. To hell with who makes it or where its sold. I like Home Depot anyways for alot of my growroom and hydroponic construction supplies anyway. And i can walk to the nearest store. They also make a Black Magic standard 10x20 prop tray with root riot/rapid rooter plugs and tray insert cells at 20 bucks a pop. The plugs are taller and deeper than the Riots or Rapids too.

IMG 4275
IMG 4278
E

Elmoreno711

Don't knock until you try it! I mixed one bale of black magic with one bag of black magic potting soil along with growth stimulator and super thrive and my plants are banging. About to use their fertilizer from black magic when I burn the nutes out the dirt.

IMG 4279
P

Pimples

Yep. I dont care who is the parent company of whatever. I can think of hundreds of corporations much worse than Scotts /Miracle Grow but non cannabis related all of us shell out our bucks to without any thought everyday. The shit works. Gallon base set of Black Magic is 60 bucks. And the dry organic top dress fertilizer is kicking ass in my back yard. Only things over priced is the promix like bale. Even the loose coco they got is within reason. And available at every Home Depot in my state. Nice pics
Nice plants.

E

Elmoreno711

Yep. I dont care who is the parent company of whatever. I can think of hundreds of corporations much worse than Scotts /Miracle Grow but non cannabis related all of us shell out our bucks to without any thought everyday. The shit works. Gallon base set of Black Magic is 60 bucks. And the dry organic top dress fertilizer is kicking ass in my back yard. Only things over priced is the promix like bale. Even the loose coco they got is within reason. And available at every Home Depot in my state. Nice pics
Nice plants.
Thanks one guy knocking their products at the grow store that owns it told me to use advance nutrients. Lol I bring posting my indoor grow which is monster and I be using their full line. Can't say I use it for my next grows but just want to see the results but I will be heavy flushing for the last 2 1/2 weeks of bloom with sugar

P

Pimples

I got a friend that runs the black magic coco coir and 2 part base nutrient at 5 to 7.5 ml per gallon. And CRUSHES it under 8 x 1000 watt lamps. He pulls 16 bows of 4 different kick ass strains every 60 to 70 days in a sealed room with ac..dehuey and co2 gas. The lamps are single ended mogul socket too. No double ended new lamps at that spot.

E

Elmoreno711

I got a friend that runs the black magic coco coir and 2 part base nutrient at 5 to 7.5 ml per gallon. And CRUSHES it under 8 x 1000 watt lamps. He pulls 16 bows of 4 different kick ass strains every 60 to 70 days in a sealed room with ac..dehuey and co2 gas. The lamps are single ended mogul socket too. No double ended new lamps at that spot.
Going to run it on the low in my inside just because I haven't burned out the nutes yet

P

Pimples

Its a 5-2-8. Just watch the potassium if your running coco as your medium. Its a little high for coco coir. But calcium and mag has nice numbers. 60 bucks a gallon set and at about a tsp per gallon...cant beat that.

Top Bottom