Blasting directly onto an Oil-Slick pad?

• Thread starter hightide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
true that, I'm a 99% addict...and my eco friendly papertowels...oxymoron there, lol

pugliese63

pugliese63

This is a great thread, Big thanks to everyone who contributed information regarding the reaction of butane and silicone.

I bought a roll, they call it "Slick Sheet", with the intention of blasting onto it in a large pyrex but couldn't come up with a way to secure it to the dish.

I've only used it for purging and after reading this I think that's all I'll use it for. I really like the "Slick Balls" and highly recommend them. They work like a charm.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Here is a second picture, this was the first blast on silk pad, turned into crystals and I was actually worried for a sec because it was powder, but it purged it nice and made nice shatter almost clear heres a pic while it was still purging but it was crystal powder blasted onto a slickpad 1st time.

But with the teflon sheets for less then 7$ oil slick pad seems redundant, I am gonna test the cheaper stfe teflon, because all they say the slick sheet stfee rolls is that it is full premium teflon, so does the brown unbleached teflon sheets on ebay, they 20x18 I think. But the actual teflon sheets brand by oil slick is a roll like parchment paper only 48" long. If this winds up being safe which I dont see there is any reason it wont, I bought two so I can test one before the run then this could be blasted into a mason jar lined with this lidded with holes to evaporate, then vac purged and it would already be a cookie shape. I saw a three videos and 1 picture and did some reading and it seemed okay. But please an expert opinion would be greatly appreciated I will test this myself but I am still a student and I do not major chemisty, lol I am new here but been doing extractions for years, and am no way an expert and if you choose to try this please be safe and do this at your own risk. I will post pictures in a week about the teflond, heres that 1st oil slick pad run. Returned .7 from about 4.5 grams.

Hey homie the link you posted about the sheets is broken, where did you end up sourcing them?

pugliese63

pugliese63

to secure it I create a bowl shape around pyrex dish creating as much Surface Area as possible, it takes alittle working with it to make it sta, folding and dmaking a rectangle shape before you place in dish, then use foil or some special tape to secure around the dish. Or you can use paper clamps to pinch the corners into shape like Mastacheerer did in this forum theres a picture here:https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/teflon-slicksheets.57352/#post-1099720

And right on on the slick balls, the stacks are great too

Thanks, for the link, Don't know why I didn't think of using paper clamps. Great idea.

P

PenguinSmoke

I had another username on here but havent used it in forever and forgot it, I got mailed this page from another "karma community site" I am a part of and im glad to be on here and a part of this discussion with some awesome people. On the forums I am smokey fish and am in real life im an organic science hobbyist and cannabis aficionado and am in love with how variant the chemistry of cannabis is.
As far as blowing on the New Oilslick pads and oilslick products in general from my understanding is they use top grade material and this is no problem. Some people get confused between about reactivity and swelling.

its true butane swells silicone , but it is not reactive with silicon since no change occurs. As a matter of fact Swellex a medical solvent used for heart stints and silicone IV's " utilizes proprietary solvent technology to provide a superior solution for connecting silicone and polyurethane tubing to barbed fittings and other rigid parts". :) that was pasted from there website which can be found here " http://www.microcaremedical.com/products/product_detail/Swellex"

Reactivity in chemistry between two properties in a case like this can be defined as :
  • it decomposes
  • it forms new substances by addition of atoms from another reactant or reactants
  • reactions in which it interacts with two or more other reactants to form two or more products

Oil slick uses Platinum Catalyst Cured Silicone the same thing found in heart stints and some IV tubing so there are no machine oils or impurities within the silicon from manufacture that could potentially be expelled during swelling and purging process. Food grade silicone mats are not cured in this manner because people dont make bread with butane ;)

Degradation over time and temperature differential will wear down a pad and any flaw in the pad will be exposed and exploited by butane trying to escape so most people change out every 3-4 blows since they are so cheap compared to how much oil you save. IMO

I dont thing Oilslick will eagerly condone blowing on pads for legal reasons (not ok everywhere?? not ok federal?? ) but I know some of the crew and they only blast on pads.

let me know whats up ... back to inverting this ether/alcohol/water/oil solution lol

Thank you SO much for this info.... even the folks at Oil Slick were being less than up front about whether it is going to be safe or contaminate.... a couple comments above were things I read directly from them on other sites... less than willing to admit illegal use is ok.... but let's be honest, they said in the same breath, in that statement, that they noticed folks blowing out on their pads in 2012 and reinvented product.... with the addition of even going so far as to remove their logo to prevent dyes or inks to bleed or react.... obvious admission to marketing a product to a specific audience.... lol they did not make those changes just for our health! LoL

AND REALLY, IF YOU ARE BLOWING THAT MUCH PRODUCT FOLKS.... I AM SURE YOU CAN AFFORD 15 BUCKS EVERY FEW EXTRACTIONS.... BE SMART SO YOU (or even your customers) CAN BE SAFE.

It is good to see one (you) state the obvious that folks need to consider.... just because a product is washable and reuseable does not automatically give it a lifetime warranty... it WILL buckle with use. ;)

P

PenguinSmoke

you sure? cause it seemed like the owner was saying it works great (although there was also some mention of a 1st-gen version that wasn't so good as what they make now). i can't remember exact details to quote the tech, but the discussion is on a regional PNW forum.
I read same article... and they seemed to make claim it was reinvented in 2012 to be safe for blowing. The change came, they said, because they saw folks doing it that they had to change.... they even went so far to remove the logo to prevent dyes/ink from being an issue.... I believe you know all this, so im commenting for other readers, too....

P

PenguinSmoke

Ive seen bad reviews on the pads somewhere just cant remember where. Something about them leaching out color into the oil. Never used em personally tho so I cant say from personal experience.
One has to ask those people which generation of pad they used.... ones with logo, no good.... company other than oil slick, no good... also one has to ask did they think reusable meant lifetime guaranty? If it bleed out on their 5th or 6th use, then they deserved it.... lol.

P

PenguinSmoke

Oil Slick themselves don't recommend blasting directly onto their pads, as butane swells silicone rubber.
They dont recommend because it is illegal... lol
Swelling isnt the threat.... silicone swells, but doesnt necessarily mean it became porous. The concern should be absorbtion... if I have a sponge sitting in my sink, I am not going to hold it under water and then ring it out into a glass.... and drink it! Clean water went in, but it comes out with bacteria, etc....

I myself am on the fence about whether I want a pad or not.... I think I will personally take the time to scrape off pyrex.... just seems to be too controversial for me to risk... as I smoke only wax these days using vape.... I smoke FOR my health, so it would be pointless to treat my pain with chems from my pad.... I am NOT a tweeker! LoL

Last edited:
P

PenguinSmoke

I asked for and received a sample for testing from Oil Slick. I'll report back after having done so, but here is the letter from Joshua, from Oil Slick:

Hi Greywolf,
I am sure you know, silicone swells in the presence on non-polar solvents. Hexane is actually used as a “swelling agent” for silicone tubing to allow for an easier connection.
The swelling effect is the primary reason why silicone makes a poor compatibility choice when selecting a material to come into prolonged direct contact with non-polars.
As you must also be aware, chemical contamination from “extractables” in silicone materials, (in a procedure such as you are describing) is due almost entirely to the physical release of low molecular weight siloxanes, and other impurities from the manufacturing process.
This is why Tygon 3350, or SaniTech-Ultra, are made with platinum cured silicone rather than the more common peroxide cured variety. This is also why We use platinum catalyzed USP6 silicone in our pads. (rather than peroxide/food grade).
As far as I am aware, we are the ONLY company doing this. The cost of material for a simple “baking mat” would be prohibitive in that industry.
For the record (sometime I feel like a broken record)We do not sell the Pad to spray directly onto. Many (many) folks do, and when we realized it (july of 2012), we switched the silicone we use as our raw material as aprophylactic measure.
We also removed the Logo from our pads, because we feared that immersion in non-polar solvent could act to weaken the bond between that thin layer of logo silicone, and the pad beneath. As concerned as we were about the logo....i cringe when I see folks spraying into parchment. The matrix of silicone in common parchment paper (non-Quilon / silicone coated) is extremely fragile compared to a pad. I imagine the violence of swelling and shrinking on that scale would be tenfold compared to the effect that prompted our own change of material.
The physical wear of swelling/shrinking/swelling/shrinking along with the various stresses inflicted by the innovative public (razor blades, torches etc...) make any sort of performance warranty unmanageable.
So we make em as pure as it gets, and when people ask us....we tell em that if they insist on using them this way, to please discard them if they notice any physical degradation.
I would refrain from cutting the pad to perform your testing, as this will expose the inner weave. Once cut or torn, the physical consequences of swelling could lead to damage along the exposed area.
Let me know where to send it, and I will get a Pad out to you today. Always happy to hear your thoughts. I redacted about 2 pages of hyper technical diatribe from this email.... because I figured you have likely done your own research regarding Pt cured silicone, and the various plasticizers that are used in food grade silicone. This is understandably a topic quite close to my heart; and I will be vary happy to discuss at length should you have specific questions (or non-specific musings?).
Also, should you require it, you have my explicit permission to share anything we discuss with whichever forums you are involved in.
Regards,
Joshua
Blasting onto anything but glass or the like, scares me. Scraping is sooo easy tho! Cleaning the leftover oil out from the pyrex is much more annoying to me!

I never seem to have paper towels in my house:( lol
This is what I am thinking.... that it is NOT complicated to scrape a pan! Try scraping burnt toast! Now THERE'S a challenge!

Graywolf

Graywolf

They dont recommend because it is illegal... lol
Swelling isnt the threat.... silicone swells, but doesnt necessarily mean it became porous. The concern should be absorbtion... if I have a sponge sitting in my sink, I am not going to hold it under water and then ring it out into a glass.... and drink it! Clean water went in, but it comes out with bacteria, etc....

I myself am on the fence about whether I want a pad or not.... I think I will personally take the time to scrape off pyrex.... just seems to be too controversial for me to risk... as I smoke only wax these days using vape.... I smoke FOR my health, so it would be pointless to treat my pain with chems from my pad.... I am NOT a tweeker! LoL

Actually no, Joshua said that he doesn't recommend it because butane swells the silicone rubber as it is absorbed.

The concern is what the butane leaches out as it exits.

P

PenguinSmoke

Actually no, Joshua said that he doesn't recommend it because butane swells the silicone rubber as it is absorbed.

The concern is what the butane leaches out as it exits.

Yeah I think you have convinced me to not do it (I have seen your imput all over the weed community and value your experience).... in the long run, doesnt seem worth it.... will just keep my mini dabbing pads and call it a day.

Josh was being evasive though... in the beginning he mentions other pads cant handle solvents, then mentions theirs is different, and implies that you can, but then contradicts it and says the silicone swells.... but swelling, if he means the pad ABSORBED it, is not the right word... if I hurt myself, there is a reaction inside under the skin and a lump swells.... this lump does not leak body fluids, or my original compesition... I actually read his post on another site before I got to here... do I personally think folks will be fine (if they replace pad every few runs) and that they have tested it already ( if the other guy was honest in saying he knows employees that do it themselves)? Yes, I do.... I find it hard to believe they chemically altered the chemestry of the pad after 2012 without testing it.... they really do have a legal obligation to not condon their product for illegal use.... but, yah, its not worth a risk to contaminate your end result if it you dont have too. C'mon stoners.... we are lazy more than not.... scrape your pans and get some exercise! LoL They also make no mention of polar solvents being an issue, and also state ok to use rubbing alcohol on them... everyone who reads 'solvent ok,' when the average slick pad doesnt handle any solvent, is going to read butane ok and blast into it.... they know this or they would have put warning lable to say 'not intended use.' He never said dont do it, yano? ;)

Top Bottom