Blazing heat, smoke-filled skies, illegal! What could possibly go wrong?

• Thread starter Oldchucky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Getting into the 90s for the last few days and over the weekend. Will put them out to sunbathe. Don’t like putting them out when I am not home or the dogs aren’t out. Seen a lot of jack rabbits around so I am a skeert!! Got a stand by my dubs! Hopefully the beam gets extinguished for good tomorrow night! Then, on to the Lakers, the darlings of the NBA! Phooey! More transplanting. Not in a hurry!View attachment 1958748View attachment 1958749
Hey Good day, With your temperatures I'm a bit surprised that you're in fabric pots. I couldn't get 2 full days between watering up here in my basement at 85f-90f in the summer yet you get that temp on a daily basis. I was thinking of putting my fabric pots inside a plastic pot if I flower anything this summer to try and get an extra day between watering......Do you have any way to shade your pots from your blazing heat? I'm just thinking that in your type of heat the roots must cook in those pots.......I'm just spit balling here I know not.....We won't get those temps for 3 more months

sambapati

sambapati

Hey Good day, With your temperatures I'm a bit surprised that you're in fabric pots. I couldn't get 2 full days between watering up here in my basement at 85f-90f in the summer yet you get that temp on a daily basis. I was thinking of putting my fabric pots inside a plastic pot if I flower anything this summer to try and get an extra day between watering......Do you have any way to shade your pots from your blazing heat? I'm just thinking that in your type of heat the roots must cook in those pots.......I'm just spit balling here I know not.....We won't get those temps for 3 more months
Newspaper/grass clippings/pine needles come to mind PC, good idea to anticipate that it will be hotter than a Bangkok Saturday nite there in Old Cali b4 too long. We have this thing here called El Niño or La Niña or something that; strange but I didn't know people here also spoke Spanish. Very funny to hear the announcers pronounce that with their Thai and Laos accents. Who Killed Roger Rabbit, written by an advertising exec in Nashua, NH. Stem cells have to be kept in -180 degrees C before they are implanted in the body. There was another being chased sequence in my dream last night and luckily I was grabbed and pulled away. (Note to self: be careful sleeping alone.) If Jalen the masked man Brown and his Band of Renown don't get the crown then ain't no justice.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Morning PC! Just what I have found. They go into 40 gallon tan pots. When the plants got large, those pots were drying back every two days during the height of the season. Way too fast for my liking. I think one of the causes with too much perlite. I’m thinking you can over perlite. here we are talking over 100 almost every day, but with less than 20% humidity. Which is their saving grace. I reuse my soil, so can’t reduce the perlite that it is in it, but can add castings, 0F, to try and reduce the concentration of it to a more acceptable level. I sure as hell won’t be adding any more of it. Lol. I as long as you keep the soil moist around here the roots stay cool. When you let it dry out then they get hot. No Bueno. So it’s kind of a balancing act. I found they seem to do better when not raised off the ground. so if your pots are drying out too fast with perlite, I would try reducing the perlite way back and get a longer and dry back between watering’s. If the soil is drying out, it is getting oxygen, perlite, or no perlite. High heat and low humidity equals some transpiring mofos! And everything stays cool. High heat and high humidity equals problems. Just like living in Alabama and trying to stay cool in the summer. Really looking forward to trying to stay cool vicariously through your weather reports and pictures of green, lush foliage! As you know, I’m no expert, so it’s fly by the seat of your pants and try different things.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Morning PC! Just what I have found. They go into 40 gallon tan pots. When the plants got large, those pots were drying back every two days during the height of the season. Way too fast for my liking. I think one of the causes with too much perlite. I’m thinking you can over perlite. here we are talking over 100 almost every day, but with less than 20% humidity. Which is their saving grace. I reuse my soil, so can’t reduce the perlite that it is in it, but can add castings, 0F, to try and reduce the concentration of it to a more acceptable level. I sure as hell won’t be adding any more of it. Lol. I as long as you keep the soil moist around here the roots stay cool. When you let it dry out then they get hot. No Bueno. So it’s kind of a balancing act. I found they seem to do better when not raised off the ground. so if your pots are drying out too fast with perlite, I would try reducing the perlite way back and get a longer and dry back between watering’s. If the soil is drying out, it is getting oxygen, perlite, or no perlite. High heat and low humidity equals some transpiring mofos! And everything stays cool. High heat and high humidity equals problems. Just like living in Alabama and trying to stay cool in the summer. Really looking forward to trying to stay cool vicariously through your weather reports and pictures of green, lush foliage! As you know, I’m no expert, so it’s fly by the seat of your pants and try different things.
About 2 months I went to buy a large bag of perlite and when I loaded it into my car I saw Vermiculite written on the bag....so I went in to ask what was up...They gave me the wrong bag...So we exchanged it and I asked about the Vermiculite, its to help retain moisture in the plant along with giving aeration............hmmmmm,,,,20% vermiculite 20% perlite might be better for a summer grow....It costs about the same as perlite......It may be worth looking into more......I know Promix uses some in it and it may help with keeping them damp longer....

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I know. A lot of people confuse the two. I’m shooting for less aeration, a less porous medium. But our situations are totally different. You can manipulate your environment to a certain extent. I have to adapt to the environment that mother nature decides to throw at me. And the environment that she has thrown at me is a very good environment in my opinion, as long as you figure out, how to go with it! Thank you, mother nature! Lol! Don’t want to piss her off! As an example, I will go out on a 110° day and dig my hand down into the soil four or 5 inches and it’s cool as a cucumber. Evaporative cooling to the max. Just wish I could get it to evaporate a little slower. Working on that!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I know. A lot of people confuse the two. I’m shooting for less aeration, a less porous medium. But our situations are totally different. You can manipulate your environment to a certain extent. I have to adapt to the environment that mother nature decides to throw at me. And the environment that she has thrown at me is a very good environment in my opinion, as long as you figure out, how to go with it! Thank you, mother nature! Lol! Don’t want to piss her off! As an example, I will go out on a 110° day and dig my hand down into the soil four or 5 inches and it’s cool as a cucumber. Evaporative cooling to the max. Just wish I could get it to evaporate a little slower. Working on that!
Your in the food belt, all that sunshine must be nice, I've just been interested in Vermiculite since they loaded the wrong bag in my car and I thought if I could use it so could you......I just read you can use up to 50% by volume in your soil to retain moisture and its like a sponge sucking it up and slowly releasing it

flowerdave

flowerdave

Your in the food belt, all that sunshine must be nice, I've just been interested in Vermiculite since they loaded the wrong bag in my car and I thought if I could use it so could you......I just read you can use up to 50% by volume in your soil to retain moisture and its like a sponge sucking it up and slowly releasing it
Another big benefit to vermiculite is it ability to hold on to feed and release it later. we used it in the greenhouse mixes. Good addition to any soiless mix used it at 20 percent of the mix

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’m not in any food belt. More like the northern California equivalent of the Mojave. But without the monsoonal moisture, that brings a lot of those guys down. I may try some vermiculite in a few pots. Just for the sake of experimentation. The only thing they grow around here is nuts. Walnuts, etc. It sounds like vermiculite would be a good option for you, though. and that’s the main problem without door growing. You grow for a season, then make adjustments, grow for a season, make adjustments. Well, I am 68 years old, so I am running out of seasons and adjustments! Just like you, you old fart! Lol!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Another big benefit to vermiculite is it ability to hold on to feed and release it later. we used it in the greenhouse mixes. Good addition to any soiless mix used it at 20 percent of the mix
That's what I was thinking too. I've used Promix type soils for years but last year in the summer months I had an issue with the soil compacting because of so many wet dry cycles & when they dried they dried hard.

So I've upped my perlite to close to 40% and although everything is good transplanting anything with that composition is iffy at best....everything falls apart and the water runs right through it.

Instead of 1 gallon of water for a 3 gallon pot I can only use 3/4 gal before water is all over the place & over filling my trays. I though the addition of Vermiculite may help hold the water better.

Its about $60Cdn for a 3.8cu/ft bag....enough for years at the rate I'd go through it. I'll be close to the store its in on Tuesday wtf if I think about it then I'll pick one up

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
A field trip for the kids today. Currently 86° and 32% humidity. Getting up to 90°. Even brought the little tykes out! Although one doesn’t seem too happy about it! Another three or four weeks of protective custody, then out into the sun for good! Hopefully by early June, my growing area won’t be underwater anymore. Pond has a drop a foot or two. Then I’ll start up potting, move them way out back, and select the ones that go inside the fence, and scatter the other ones all over hell!
51BD2673 608A 43EC BF11 9942159249CB

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
A field trip for the kids today. Currently 86° and 32% humidity. Getting up to 90°. Even brought the little tykes out! Although one doesn’t seem too happy about it! Another three or four weeks of protective custody, then out into the sun for good! Hopefully by early June, my growing area won’t be underwater anymore. Pond has a drop a foot or two. Then I’ll start up potting, move them way out back, and select the ones that go inside the fence, and scatter the other ones all over hell!View attachment 1959505
We call this Spring

sambapati

sambapati

All good here on the porch. Sprayed procrop 1 using dr bronners, neem oil but must not get bug beaten. Denver beatdown great second half. Icepacks here amidst the swelling. Sounds like rain, brought the clothes in b4 any drops appear.

20230430 093717
20230430 093734
20230430 093654
20230430 093649
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

A field trip for the kids today. Currently 86° and 32% humidity. Getting up to 90°. Even brought the little tykes out! Although one doesn’t seem too happy about it! Another three or four weeks of protective custody, then out into the sun for good! Hopefully by early June, my growing area won’t be underwater anymore. Pond has a drop a foot or two. Then I’ll start up potting, move them way out back, and select the ones that go inside the fence, and scatter the other ones all over hell!View attachment 1959505
Muy Bien mi amigo. C’mon Nor Cal, we hit a hundy in phx today! My solo seedlings are fucking pissed! 🤣 🤣

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Well, shit, howdy, Arizona! Yeah, that kind of heat tends to bring out the worst in their temperament! It’s going to cool off this week but you and I both know that pretty soon it will get hot and stay hot! Let the games begin! How is your sip doing?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Cordoba this could be you again soon.
Well, you shouldn’t have any problem keeping that cistern full! Seeing as it rains constantly over there. I am afraid to even ask what kind of six legged monstrosities you have to fend off of in that neck of the woods! And we will see what Phoenix is made of. Nuggets looking strong! Hope your wife is doing OK!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I didn’t realize how hot that metal grate was getting in the sun. I was burning their little feet’s! Made some modifications for a future field trips!🥵

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I thought you didn’t have to water over there. That they would just suck it out of the air and wind up overwatered! If yellow peril is what I think it is, I don’t even want to go there!😂 right on samba! Keep heaping on the abuse! I thought maybe your toilet bowl was blue.

Top Bottom