Blocking RF Noise from Digital Ballasts

• Thread starter Billygoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I see people saying the "cable guy will come knocking".
Funny thing. I don't have Internet and or Cable TV at my grow site. But my neighbors do. They had the cable guy over twice last week. Curious if they were having a RF issue.
So... If the cable guy comes knocking, should I even give one flying Fuck?
I'm in a legal state and legal to grow.
I don't like my neighbors by the way.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Funny thing. I don't have Internet and or Cable TV at my grow site. But my neighbors do. They had the cable guy over twice last week. Curious if they were having a RF issue.
Fuck them! Even if you were not legal they have no right to tell you to stop doing something that fucks with their equipment! For all they know you have 20 HAM radios going at the same time and the can suck it!...lol Obviously nobody wants trouble with local piggy patrol so as I am sure you are keep things on the DL...other then that your good. The cable company just needs better equipment!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

interesting

looks like youll need the hydrofarm special ballast plug as well to use this piece.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
K

KULR

Not sure where you got your info but solis tek ballasts dont do that, they are some of the best if not the best ballast on the market today :)
I got the info from one of the reviews on amazon for the Solis and also a video review on youtube of the solis

K

KULR

I got the info from one of the reviews on amazon for the Solis and also a video review on youtube of the solis
Also this info is on the solis website.
Wattage settings: 1100W, 1000W, 825W, 750W, 660W, 600W
1000 / 750/ 600W Digital Ballast with Remote Control and Built-in Digital Timer
Operating at ultra high output frequency 106+kHz..

They says it has an ultra high output frequency.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yo guys.

I have 6 digi's running @ present and will add more soon.

Any tips on how folks can test to see if they are tossing out RF without specific measuring devices?? Transistor radio? Phone? Some other device that will screw up in the presence of RF?

I used to work for the local Cable TV Co. We did the same kinda mobile tests. (Ok..this was in the 80's so the testing equip is probably different..)

any tips for the novice/layman on how to detect this interference?

thanks

s h
A small AM/FM trnsistor radio will pick up RF bleed.

RF leak is a FCC regulated phenomenon. Due to a lot of digital ballasts coing out of China that have no FCC restrictions they aren't taking adequate measures to shield their units to prevent RF leak. And believe me if you think when your cable company comes to your door and you just trun them away and act ignorant they will be back and maybe even with leo in tow. They are subject to huge fines by the FCC due to RF leaks,

LEO carry fm/am radios now to find grow ops. Since I'm not in an area that is cultivate legal I stay with magnetic ballasts just for this reason. RFI can be sometimes detected up to 2500' away or a half a mile.

See article.

One of my colleagues, Kit Haskins, alerted me to the following article: “How cops are catching grow ops with AM radios”. As a long-time EMI engineer, the headline certainly caught my eye. The article was posted by Keith Graves on his blog (PoliceOne.com) in February, 2014. Graves is a police sergeant in the San Francisco area and he described how police were starting to use AM radios in their vehicles to locate illegal indoor marijuana “farms”. These “grow ops” are using arrays of large 1000W high pressure sodium or metal halide lamps, driven by electronic ballasts. Most of these ballasts are imported from China and the manufacturers of these have apparently made no attempt at complying with FCC emission standards. Consequently, they produce large amounts of radio frequency interference (RFI). This RFI has become a major nuisance to local radio amateurs and and other users of the radio spectrum, as it can completely obliterate communications. In the meantime, the article has “gone viral” among the police community. While they realize not every source of RFI is a grow op, they do use the technique as “one of their tools”.

Related to the article above, in September 2014, I visited the headquarters of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) in Newington, CT, where I had a chance to meet with their lead RFI investigator, Mike Gruber. Gruber was well aware of the issue to amateur radio operators and shared the ARRL’s formal complaint to the FCC, dated March, 2014. Prior to their complaint, Gruber also conducted extensive testing on three of these electronic ballasts and the conducted emission data clearly shows peaks as high as 100+ dBuV (50 dB over the limit) in the range 6 to 8 MHz, with lower peaks at 14, 18, and 21 MHz. There are also high peaks covering the AM broadcast band, and that’s where the police tune their radios in order to detect the use of these ballasts. The interference from these sources has been received as far away as 2,500 feet, nearly half a mile.

GrowOp1.jpg

Figure 1 - RFI lead engineer with the ARRL, Mike Gruber, standing behind the table where conducted emissions testing was performed.

Amateur radio operator, Tom Thompson, of Boulder, CO, has located five of these grow ops in his own neighborhood and has published an article on direction-finding (DFing) these RFI sources. The article, Locating RF Interference at HF, was published in QST Magazine, November 2014. He’s since developed large filters that appear to work moderately well in minimizing the emissions. While the FCC is aware of the interference and the fact many of these ballasts even have fake “FCC” stickers, they’ve not enforced the regulations as of yet.

There’s an amusing blog posting from an anonymous writer on “Big Buds” (a marijuana growers web site) describing the “other side” of the controversy. Apparently Comcast was investigating RFI to other cable subscribers around his home and nearly found out about the writer’s grow op. After some realization as to what was transpiring, the grower moved to a different location. So the issue is becoming known by both the police and growers. I wonder whether the growers will pressure the manufacturers to produce quieter ballasts?

GrowOp2.jpg

Figure 2 - A close up photo of three typical electronic ballasts.

GrowOp3.jpg

Figure 3 - An example of a large 1000W ’grow lamp”.

GrowOp4.jpg

Figure 4 - One of several similar conducted emission tests on the Lumatek electronic ballast by the ARRL. The frequency range is 0.10 to 30.1 MHz. The red line is the limit for the FCC Part 18 test. The peak around 6 to 8 MHz is 50 dB over the limit (Image courtesy ARRL).

These grow ops, both legal and illegal, are proliferating widely around the U.S., especially in the states of California and Colorado. There are also various reports of this interference worldwide. Apparently, the FCC has known about this issue since September 2011, according to the date on their warning letter to users of these grow light ballasts (see References below). Perhaps if more users of the radio spectrum complain, they’ll take some action? Guess I’m not going to hold my breath. In the meantime, the police continue to use RFI to locate and prosecute these marijuana farms.

References:

How cops are catching grow ops with AM radios (PoliceOne.com, 2/4/14)

ARRL to FCC: “Grow Light” Ballast Causes HF Interference, Violates Rules (3/14/14)

Pot growers’ lights interfering with ham radio chats (Coloradan, 6/5/14)

Hydroponics Digital Ballasts & Comcast Almost Busted this Marijuana Grower (Big Buds Magazine, unknown date and writer)

Grow Light Electronic Ballasts (W0QE.com, Larry Benko)

Pot-Growing Lights Are Interfering with Local Radio Waves in Colorado (Yahoo Tech, 6/6/14)

Ham Radios Assist Police in Catching Indoor Drug Growing Operations (Interference Technology, 2/11/15)

FCC form letter to users of electronic ballasts (dated 9/12/11)

ARRL test report (dated 1/28/14)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Another reason for concern isnt just jail in non legal areas but also rippers who can locate your grows using am radios, then case you out for home invasion tactics.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well you answered your own question bro......... If your legal and compliant with limits why would you worry? Only thing would concern me is what of your cable guy aint kosher and he passes info on to rippers if you show your legal grow. Legal grows dont stop RIPPERS!!!

And it is a big deal to the FCC which is Federal. So you might have to comply if your causing any problems with neighbors shit. Cable comps are regulated and fined by the FCC. Keep in mind we aren't yet accepted at the federal level. Food for thought.......... BTW I'm glad I'm not your neigbor with an attitude like that...... One of the 1st rules of thumb when we all had to guerrilla grow was be peaceful with neighbors. But since your legal I guess it gives you room to be an ass. LOL

Sorry bout calln u an ass it was the whole neighbor comment hit me wrong.....

Just sayn....... peace and good will towards all men goes a long way bro

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well you answered your own question bro......... If your legal and compliant with limits why would you worry? Only thing would concern me is what of your cable guy aint kosher and he passes info on to rippers if you show your legal grow. Legal grows dont stop RIPPERS!!!

And it is a big deal to the FCC which is Federal. So you might have to comply if your causing any problems with neighbors shit. Cable comps are regulated and fined by the FCC. Keep in mind we aren't yet accepted at the federal level. Food for thought.......... BTW I'm glad I'm not your neigbor with an attitude like that...... One of the 1st rules of thumb when we all had to guerrilla grow was be peaceful with neighbors. But since your legal I guess it gives you room to be an ass. LOL

Sorry bout calln u an ass it was the whole neighbor comment hit me wrong.....

Just sayn....... peace and good will towards all men goes a long way bro
Very nice with the like. I had hoped you would understand bro. Respect+++

alligator

alligator

Bump- because RF/emi is still an issue, and ballast companies aren't improving ballasts on the rf/emi front.

After doing a bit of research, Here's
A nice fix for those with RF issues or concerns.

Put one of these in between the ballast & lamp - $30
http://www.fightemi.com

Put one of these on the cord between ballast and power- $4
(Scroll to the bottom and hit 'click here for the part number and supply house who sells them).
http://www.fightemi.com/#!info/ck0n

Also- sunlight supply's 'smart volt' Ferrite power cord will help too.

And nanolux makes an RF filter(as noted by previous posters).

These ballast companies aren't doing shit to cut down on RF.
It seems the ones who are brightest also throw out the most rf. (Like solis tek).
Seems the galaxy's are the only ones who are actually fcc approved.

Be safe!

H

hank12

Fuck them! Even if you were not legal they have no right to tell you to stop doing something that fucks with their equipment! For all they know you have 20 HAM radios going at the same time and the can suck it!...lol Obviously nobody wants trouble with local piggy patrol so as I am sure you are keep things on the DL...other then that your good. The cable company just needs better equipment!

You're a fucking idiot. Generally interference caused from Ham radios is from poorly tuned equipment and/or running over the power limit. The FCC will be all over this as you're responsible for it. You not to cause interference.

Go look up the laws before you give anymore great advice.

S

SeaTown253

Recently purchased a Solistek Matrix model# Stk1000LCD , the one with built in timer and A Remote . It was no more than a week of running it , Comcrap came and put a filter on my service (turned off internet access ) . Had to go through bunch of drama , anyways quickly learned it was the SolisTek ballast . Contacted Solistek and received very little help , the unit ( has a internal counter ) barely has a cycle on it . I assumed of the quality and to go through all that only to be referred to purchase another product to fix a issue that the manufacture is responsible for genuinely creating and marketing a product that has issues just big enough to have unwanted guests , not coo . Anyways onto the Rf Filter set from nanolux , I'm unsure about this product . I'm going off of the reviews and it doesn't seem to be a positive fix , I could be wrong ? Anyone out there using one that Can Vouch ? Ferrite Chokes , isn't there a few types of ferrite choke ? Different density or whatnot that would moreso relate to a Solution to this problem ? otherwise I have a SolisTek Ballast For Sale .....so lame

Olyver

Olyver

If you want, run your lampcords or wires through this conduit;

You can even run this conduit from the ballast all the way to the lamp or shade.

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Recently purchased a Solistek Matrix model# Stk1000LCD , the one with built in timer and A Remote . It was no more than a week of running it , Comcrap came and put a filter on my service (turned off internet access ) . Had to go through bunch of drama , anyways quickly learned it was the SolisTek ballast . Contacted Solistek and received very little help , the unit ( has a internal counter ) barely has a cycle on it . I assumed of the quality and to go through all that only to be referred to purchase another product to fix a issue that the manufacture is responsible for genuinely creating and marketing a product that has issues just big enough to have unwanted guests , not coo . Anyways onto the Rf Filter set from nanolux , I'm unsure about this product . I'm going off of the reviews and it doesn't seem to be a positive fix , I could be wrong ? Anyone out there using one that Can Vouch ? Ferrite Chokes , isn't there a few types of ferrite choke ? Different density or whatnot that would moreso relate to a Solution to this problem ? otherwise I have a SolisTek Ballast For Sale .....so lame
I thought I had the same issue with solis tek in 2014. Comcast did something and it fixed the tv signal that went bananas when my matrix kicked on. I forget exactly, but I think the guy said the preexisting cable cords were causing the signal to be wacky. Anyway, they fixed the issue in one visit and I never had a problem or had anyone knock on my door. I made a killing at that spot and bought a house afterwards.

ken dog

ken dog

Gavitas don't have any RF interference... All of the ballasts are attached directly to the lamp.

Fair use excerpt:

This unshielded wire is the cause of the most problems as it acts like an antenna. So, if you use electronic high frequency ballasts we recommend to keep the leads to the lamp from the ballast as short as possible and install the ballast as close to the lamp as possible.

B Sparkles

B Sparkles

Great thread thanks Billygoat!
I have been looking for this info for a while too.Timing couldn't have been better for this thread. Just had the Cable guy knock on my door 30 min ago. It appears i'm the guilty party screwing up the neighbors signals. Sux, because I just fired up my 1k e-hps a few days ago. I check my am radio and ph meter and all seems good....for me at least. How is it possible that my stuff works and not my neighbor? Odd. Anyway, I'm gonna try shortening the lead and use foil as well. Any other sugestions?
-T
My Nanolux OG BALLASTS have an RF INPUT block built in. As for the RF OUTPUT being broadcast (I believe they refer to it as conducting), thats another issue. But I did a bit of research on the 2 RF issues, one being input that's disrupting neighbors radio, also noise in cable lines which prompts Comcast to come out to your house. The RF OUTPUT "broadcasts " and causes issues, once your interference becomes a problem it'll be the police that show up because that is specifically what police and emergency systems use. If you look on Nano OGs website, there's some in depth information on both RF input and RF conductivity. There are kits you can buy that plug in before and after your ballasts plugs to alleviate both, but the kit describes what each do, what they effect in detail, with using the kit etc. Super helpful. Helped this novice a lot! Search Nanolux OG ballast RH KITS. EXCELLENCE INFO AND SIMPLE FIX. BTW, one major culprit that legit does fuck up RH frequencies are charging stations for your batteries for your power tools.

ozman

ozman

hmm now me is rethinking the magnetic ballast for my next purchase.
i live in enemy territory so it may be wise .............

Top Bottom