Blow dry after the rain?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I'm thinking of taking a leaf blower out for my 7ft trees after each rain. It's raining now & the top branches are kinda leaning on the support netting. I'm worried about mold, and maybe this would also clear out any dead leaves. I'd first get the main drops off by waiting, and then a gentle shaking, and I'd stand back a ways. Is this smart, crazy, or does it depend on how I do it?

The Terps

The Terps

They are designed like shingles kinda to keep the rain out on a lot of varieties. So I would say no to blow drying cause you might force unwanted moisture deeper into your denser flowers. I would recommend using a follow up mold spray like acctinovate I think that is what it is called or green cure or what ever you have laying around for mold to keep any spores from growing.

tj Wise

tj Wise

actinovate, but the blogs seem confused -- much like myself.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

Gently i guess wouldnt hurt after a few shakes. But i got no experience with that lol. I was just wonder something. I wondering about watering and put a dose of colloidal silver in the water. I noticed for a few years now you can store the clones in plugs in the fridge for weeks and they dont turn as long as ya keep it below surfuce . Like leaves .and stem above the plug . Or ive watered when it was to hot and wet to make sure root rot didnt happen. Greens them up too while in fridge. Or maybe a light dose of mms. It turns to a gas in the plant hopefully. wonder if it will flow through the plant . Hum , just a wild thought. I never spray anything on my plants in bud. Not the norm anyway.....

ZONER

ZONER

I shake my girls in the morning ....... And if the weather is bad I'll shake them up to 4 times a day. This year I have had a few little pieces of mold that I cut out, last year was terrible ...... This year there is a big ifferance weather wise. If I'm luckyI will only clip out about 5% compared to losing over 20% to mold. Time to go say a prayer since there is a day and a half of crappy weather coming.

The Terps

The Terps

I try and not stress about the weather outside it help I think. And if a strain wants to mold it will unfortunately but its all part of the gig. I don't shake every plant but I may shake 1 or 2 and never noticed a diffence my friend leaf blew his and got lots of mold year before last. Last year he didn't less mold but less rain and different variety. I like to think my neighbor stands under his nice dry green house and laughs at me lol. Old time Mountain grower sprays a milk solution with amazing results would like to know that secret if anyone wants to share.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm thinking of taking a leaf blower out for my 7ft trees after each rain. It's raining now & the top branches are kinda leaning on the support netting. I'm worried about mold, and maybe this would also clear out any dead leaves. I'd first get the main drops off by waiting, and then a gentle shaking, and I'd stand back a ways. Is this smart, crazy, or does it depend on how I do it?
I think using a leaf blower or the like will beat the shit out of them. Just gently shake them, they should be ok as long as they're able to dry out fairly quickly. If you're really worried about molding, then once the rain is over, get you some isopropyl alcohol and after you've shaken them (not stirred), give the thick buds a bit of a spritzing.

ZONER

ZONER

I think using a leaf blower or the like will beat the shit out of them. Just gently shake them, they should be ok as long as they're able to dry out fairly quickly. If you're really worried about molding, then once the rain is over, get you some isopropyl alcohol and after you've shaken them (not stirred), give the thick buds a bit of a spritzing.
Straight or diluted isopropyl Sea?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I might use it straight, depending on how I think the plant is looking, and how much iso I have on hand. In California you have to register to buy isopropyl by the gallon. No, I shit you not. You can buy dozens of quarts, but the minute you go up to a gallon size, they want your name and shit.

BuckP

BuckP

The rain sneaked up on us this year. Awakened to several heavy branches broken after getting drenched by unexpected rain. Been calling around. Forecast is for clearing and sunny later today so gently shaking each branch and not pulling the broken branches immediately in the hope we'll have sunshine by noon so I'm gently shaking branches to try to expel as much H2O as possible. If the drying sun doesn't shine later today, the advice I get from those who've dealt with this problem is go ahead & pull, trim and hang with lots of air movement. One major grower in a humid state said his experience is mold sets in after about 3 days of rain but 1 day followed by sun can actually be good. (if no branches are lost) According to <the Bible> trichs are not typically washed off by average rain since they're so tar-like tho really hard rain can inflict damage. Biggest concern is breakage. I blew it by not supporting those heavy branches as in previous years. If you didn't get rain where you live - but might - support those branches. Btw, only the heavy lower branches broke.

frebo

frebo

My rain guage(5 gal. Bucket) had 2-1/2" the last 24 hours. I have some broken branches that were not supported well enough. Other than the broken branches I think they will be alright. I will place some box fans in the garden to help dry them some and now the sun is coming out. Should be alright. My box fans don't have the volumn a leaf blower has.
In years past rain only caused me problems when I could not get them dry because of continued rain.
I have my alcohol ready if this does continue.

J

Jalisco Kid

The vapor would penetrate your buds to where the alcohol can not get to. I would next year try spraying your flowers at 3 weeks until say week 6 with K silicate are another product that would safely stop molds. This seems to be the depth the mold starts in the bud. I would start using a needle inspecting the bud. I start low on the branch and work my way up as I am looking I am also pulling the flower clusters down and away from the cluster above it creating more air flow and light penetration. JK

Skoosh

Skoosh

Late reply, but my thought on blowing the colas dry is:
Why spend all summer developing trichomes just to blow them off in late Sept?

On another note: be extremely watchful for mold under the plastic roof.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I might use it straight, depending on how I think the plant is looking, and how much iso I have on hand. In California you have to register to buy isopropyl by the gallon. No, I shit you not. You can buy dozens of quarts, but the minute you go up to a gallon size, they want your name and shit.
I get it from Home Depot by the gallon. Its in the paint department.

The Terps

The Terps

I got a half inch of hail along with 1 2/3 inches of heavy rain didn't loose a single branch having good support system is key my neighbor lost over half of his garden

TortureKill

TortureKill

I like to give the trees a nice shake to knock off the water, but im sure gently blowing them wouldnt hurt. I wouldnt get too carried away, or else youll prob cause some damage to the trichs closer to harvest as they mature, and harden

MrRightBrain

MrRightBrain

I shake mine, I found some mold today, I am in Wa. I wouldn't do the hair dryer thing.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Hey Seamaiden so I have done this as you have suggested before for PM! But i still wonder I use iso for rso would that not confirm that if you use full strength you will wash away some of the best parts of the buds? or at least damage them so they are incorrectly formed? Not to argue your point just would like to know all the info on how you see this predicament also I soak my rso not beat or stir and i try to disturb it as little as possible so less chlorophyll gets in the mix I feel I get 85-90% of it this way????

Latest posts

Top Bottom