blue light wrong for cloning?

• Thread starter So_CaL_Sativa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

So_CaL_Sativa

I try not to be one of those newbies who post questions that were answered 2 posts ago. I couldn't find this covered, but I apologize if it has been.

I recently ran out of room in my veg tent and only had a 3000k T5 set up left that I usually use for side light on my flowering ladies. I really wanted to run more clones so I figured wth I'll try it. Clipped them 5 days ago and so far this batch is looking amazing. 4 different strains and no different formula than what I have used in the past except for 3000k tubes vs the 6400k tubes I usually use. They never drooped like most clones the first day, they are amazing bright healthy green, and seem to be rooting well, will check again in a couple days. Anyone else use a red spectrum bulb for cloning and has anyone ever found any good research on which promotes early root growth? Logic and reading tell me blue is better but maybe we don't want the babies to try and vegetate like they do with blue and instead the red causes them to root faster while getting started? Anyone ever try this with led's maybe?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I can say for certain, since I've used blue, red and mixed spectrum T5's. I go mixed, since the red def puts out thicker faster roots and the blue seems to get the early leaves going...I'm sure I could scrounge up some more scientific way of putting that but I'm BAKED...LOL

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Never tried the 3000k. I did use a blue spectrum aquarium bulb once. Worked fine in a pinch. I dont think cuttings require aot of light. I think its more about having a heat pad and keeping up the humidity.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

I use soft white (red spectrum) CFLs, tried to use the cool white (blue spectrum) for my plants but they hated it so I just use the soft white now. Even in combo the cool white bulbs were not effective. I finally just removed them all together and stick with soft whites. Whatever works, though, that's what you should go with until you find a better method.

sticky icky

sticky icky

Here's some outta my cloner under blue spectrum t5 bulbs tried a bunch a diff combos over the years and I do like a mixed spectrum aswell but I wouldn't say the blues are wrong for it they actually work really well....more importanly your temps should be dialed in above the spectrums.....make sure your humiditys at a decent level like 55-65 they love it when rooting.--
IMAG01222.jpg

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah, sticky is spot on. If i had to pick one spectrum would be blue, but the mixed is nice if it's an option like bulb replacement as a lot of T5 units come preinstalled with one color spectrum.
Nice roots Sticky!

sticky icky

sticky icky

Yeah, sticky is spot on. If i had to pick one spectrum would be blue, but the mixed is nice if it's an option like bulb replacement as a lot of T5 units come preinstalled with one color spectrum.
Nice roots Sticky!

Hellz yeah spot on aswell brotha thank you much.....

S

So_CaL_Sativa

Thanks guys! My gut and conventional wisdom tells me the same about blue being better, so I'm gonna go grab at least one blue bulb and try a combo of both. Thanks for the swift replies! Nice roots sticky icky!

P

paulycali

I prefer a blue bulb when vegging or cloning

Sometimes i do use a red bulb when cloning. Just depends whats available

Never really checked the difference between rooting with red or blue spectrum

What babaG said sounds right. Blue is better for after roots appear and red before

I keep switching back and forth and did notice a difference in root apprearance now that i think about it. Always wondered why. Wasnt quite sure what was causing the difference. Now i think i know. Thanks babaG. Red for roots and blue for growth

I am going to do a side by side comparison

Cloning under blue light vs. red light

Get back to you all on the results :)

S

So_CaL_Sativa

I prefer a blue bulb when vegging or cloning

Sometimes i do use a red bulb when cloning. Just depends whats available

Never really checked the difference between rooting with red or blue spectrum

What babaG said sounds right. Blue is better for after roots appear and red before

I keep switching back and forth and did notice a difference in root apprearance now that i think about it. Always wondered why. Wasnt quite sure what was causing the difference. Now i think i know. Thanks babaG. Red for roots and blue for growth

I am going to do a side by side comparison

Cloning under blue light vs. red light

Get back to you all on the results :)

Perfect! With a side by side we will have a definitive answer! Thanks Pauly. You aren't the Pauly I know from So Cal are you? The one who just gave me a big bud x great white shark bean a month or so ago at that birthday party?

Latest posts

Top Bottom