• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

turtlehams

Half the root mass pruned.

Transplanted into 2 gal smart pots.

Mulched with pine barks.

I was a little hard on the Blueberry#1 when pruning the roots. I think it will recover. We’ll see. If not i already have 2 clones of it.

View attachment 841601

1st does the pine bark change the ph of the soil, i know pine needles for sure do.
2nd what is the pruning roots all about? love to hear new ways to enhance my growing techs.

thanks and have fun in the garden
ham

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
1st does the pine bark change the ph of the soil, i know pine needles for sure do.
2nd what is the pruning roots all about? love to hear new ways to enhance my growing techs.

thanks and have fun in the garden
ham

No it doesnt effect soil ph, at least not greatly ime. Also i flood the tray so its like sip method. Used drip irrigation prior to that. Drippers hidden under mulch. Steam treatment helps stabilising it i think. But i rarely run water thru it. And for it to actually alter soil ph, i think you have to mix it in.

Pruning the roots is cutting (for me half ) off the root mass before transplanting. 4 sides and bottom. 5 cuts leaves you with a cube shaped soil and root mass on your hand. This encourages auxillary root tips to become activated. So 1 root shoots many new roots in every direction. Overall a better root system is achieved.

T

turtlehams

No it doesnt effect soil ph, at least not greatly ime. Also i flood the tray so its like sip method. Used drip irrigation prior to that. Drippers hidden under mulch. Steam treatment helps stabilising it i think. But i rarely run water thru it. And for it to actually alter soil ph, i think you have to mix it in.

Pruning the roots is cutting (for me half ) off the root mass before transplanting. 4 sides and bottom. 5 cuts leaves you with a cube shaped soil and root mass on your hand. This encourages auxillary root tips to become activated. So 1 root shoots many new roots in every direction. Overall a better root system is achieved.
very interesting! how fast do your ladies bounce back from the prune? have you ever had things want to throw herms after?
thanks again for the insight
ham

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
very interesting! how fast do your ladies bounce back from the prune? have you ever had things want to throw herms after?
thanks again for the insight
ham

Normally they dont even lag in anyway. The only problem with blueberry was that i already pruned it and forgot i buried its stem a little deeper so when i pruned again i took too much inadvertendly. Never had hermies, not yet. I purchase from good and well known seedbanks and get old and stable strains.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Things going good. Some showing pre pre-flowers :) some recently hit puberty.

The stem purpling was definitely magnesium deficiency. I forgot to add a magnesium source after adding a bit of calcitic lime. At that time i was thinking i could just water with epsom since i also have high cal ratio out of my tap. I forgot that too :D

Then i remembered and between watering a couple of hours ago and now, i can see clear change.

The others seemed fine with it but this blueberry has a fine palate.

And the cucumber is just for fun. I don’t use bottled stuff anymore, just a couple of products to correct in time of crisis. So i wanted to see if its possible to get a couple of cucumbers off a plant grown in this 0.5 litre pot with biobizz grow and bloom. Also have a tomato, it hasn’t flowered yet.

69319340 044E 44B2 8D29 025D45B68213
A4A9F914 AE4A 4467 B5F0 DD9F26526059
24F8EFD8 E99C 4D6D 9DD8 8643CA67040B
2C4F599F 595E 4E13 9AB0 AA4C1B2AEF04
587E5354 E8A0 425A B47A 2A59CD050C62
D254DA55 BFEE 4685 8479 B551C2E2EA9D

chemistry

chemistry

I grew a stunning tom plant in my flower space, but no toms due to it not being self pollinating, check to see if your Cucumber is self pollinating.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I grew a stunning tom plant in my flower space, but no toms due to it not being self pollinating, check to see if your Cucumber is self pollinating.

This is a “poona kheera” cucumber and there is really not much info about it. I’m only seeing male flowers for now but its really early to say anything tho i’ve seen comments where people growing only one plant, commenting about the fruit yield. So i’m sure it is.

Phylex

Phylex

Why does it feel like all you guys can grow amazing plants from seed to harvest in a week and my grow feels like it's taking years? lol Looks great!!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Why does it feel like all you guys can grow amazing plants from seed to harvest in a week and my grow feels like it's taking years? lol Looks great!!

Thanks for the compliment. It feels like a lifetime to grow every plant :) can’t wait to get the sweet sweet buds.

Seriously tho, you just have to let them be. Very hard, i know :) They have been growing on their own for millions and millions of years. Give a good soil, powerful lights and let them be :D

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’ll correct my terminology and call them bud sites or just flowers for your benefit and i can show you pictures of both if you don’t know what they are but your post actually doesn’t make sense gramatically or i may be having a hard time comprehending it, as i am a foreigner. So some degree of language barrier there. Anyhow, feeling lazy at the moment so it’ll have to wait.

wishes somebody would post ''preflower'' pics - remains a mystery to me

zzzybil

zzzybil

no rush - trying to get up and go ''wrap'' up this christmas pile of presents...........buncha knick knack holly jolly tj max spree ! Anyways just saw pic of ''crowning'' love to see some pics of baby sexing plants - if preflowers are sacs and pistils lol.......got it BUT where I hear peeps determining sex at earlier days ??????? YEAH trying to teach myself terminology , still getting stuff mixed up stipules ,pistils .......calyx , fan leaves vs sugar leaves.
Amazes me peeps that KNOW strain by structure ! I'm still clueless staring at the ''pics of the month '' - I can see some differences in the structures of the buds but its all just jaw dropping beautiful ! INSPIRING !

tHANKS whenever yuh get a chance will be awesome !! Here to learn , amazing resource here. From what I've been reading INCREDIBLE patience and generosity of spirit ! Merry Christmas all
Tho ruining me for the mediocre that I'm accustomed to - I see new horizons in my new year

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

no rush - trying to get up and go ''wrap'' up this christmas pile of presents...........buncha knick knack holly jolly tj max spree ! Anyways just saw pic of ''crowning'' love to see some pics of baby sexing plants - if preflowers are sacs and pistils lol.......got it BUT where I hear peeps determining sex at earlier days ??????? YEAH trying to teach myself terminology , still getting stuff mixed up stipules ,pistils .......calyx , fan leaves vs sugar leaves.
Amazes me peeps that KNOW strain by structure ! I'm still clueless staring at the ''pics of the month '' - I can see some differences in the structures of the buds but its all just jaw dropping beautiful ! INSPIRING !

tHANKS whenever yuh get a chance will be awesome !! Here to learn , amazing resource here. From what I've been reading INCREDIBLE patience and generosity of spirit ! Merry Christmas all
Tho ruining me for the mediocre that I'm accustomed to - I see new horizons in my new year
U are all over the place bro! Hahaha

Monster762

Monster762

I just got an email from my seed spot saying they can take a plant at 7 days old and garuntee what sex it is. By lab though. Need 1 inch cut. As for all these prefliwers I don’t look for no certain way nodes set or none of that. You see pistils it’s female or hermie. At the crop of the branch there will be hairs. Not the 2 spike things actual white hairs next to them. Until I see hairs it’s undetermined. Then after seeing hairs you still got to look for balls.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I just got an email from my seed spot saying they can take a plant at 7 days old and garuntee what sex it is. By lab though. Need 1 inch cut. As for all these prefliwers I don’t look for no certain way nodes set or none of that. You see pistils it’s female or hermie. At the crop of the branch there will be hairs. Not the 2 spike things actual white hairs next to them. Until I see hairs it’s undetermined. Then after seeing hairs you still got to look for balls.

Above all else i can’t get a good pic of the pre-flowers to save my life. Its either burn you cornea under leds and take the pic or just live :D

Well really there are thousand of pics of it on the internet. Stipules, pistils and calyxes. At least for a fem grower. Then maybe couple of balls if it hermies or bananas. All are parts of the flower itself. Except stipules, they just.. exist.

In the mean time throwing some early flower photos. Can’t really see much problem with them but its too bright under there to see anything (my eyes are sensitive to light which is very fucked up when growing indoors) and photos are sub-par cause its hard to see the phone screen under the lights.. need to take them out and work on them individually and its a hassle at the moment.

F79D3C1C 9BF4 4BBA A888 4F5CC00A6FCB
63A0547F 4A38 4F7E 9ACE 8B7CC83DC8E0
8B083BD9 88D9 4438 9BBE 58607D791DE7

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Your root pruning method sounds like a method I read about for bonsai mother methods. A way to rejuvinate a mother plant each time you take cuttings. With pruning as you described, as with the bonsai method, you cut the root mass on all sides. When transplanting, use a larger container to allow the plant to grow larger. To rejuvenate the plant but retain a smaller stature, just return the plant to the same size container. There plants roots will develop into fresh medium and allow the veg growth take off again. This time with more shoots from pruning originally. Root pruning is a great way to promote plant vigor and growth. Slight rebound time just as transplanting or a heavy pruning may create, but overall great cultivation practices. Always remember the mykos.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Your root pruning method sounds like a method I read about for bonsai mother methods. A way to rejuvinate a mother plant each time you take cuttings. With pruning as you described, as with the bonsai method, you cut the root mass on all sides. When transplanting, use a larger container to allow the plant to grow larger. To rejuvenate the plant but retain a smaller stature, just return the plant to the same size container. There plants roots will develop into fresh medium and allow the veg growth take off again. This time with more shoots from pruning originally. Root pruning is a great way to promote plant vigor and growth. Slight rebound time just as transplanting or a heavy pruning may create, but overall great cultivation practices. Always remember the mykos.

Yeah i use it for my bonsai mothers and when i transplant plants into bigger pots to promote branching. Its a good technique.

Latest posts

Top Bottom